PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dry Ride - Bass Boat

go-bassn
October 12th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Steve's right, imagine that!

Bob, while I could recommend names like Champion & Stratos if you want a
bassboat, the main thing you have to realize about this is that a large part
of a dry ride is rooted in the drivers abilities in the big water. There's
right ways & wrong ways of navigating through big water, and if you're
unfamiliar with it you're gonna get wet regardless of what bassboat you're
driving. And your butt & back might hurt so much that you don't even mind
being wet...

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Steve & Chris Clark" > wrote in message
>I dunno Bob, but it sure sounds like, to me, you want walleye boat. I have
> fished from one on the odd occasion and they do differ from the front
> casting deck of a bass boat. If you like sight fishing this is a better
> choice but bending down to put a lip on a bass from the front deck can be
> quite different than from a bass boat. If you do have bigger waves on
> your
> lakes, you will like the extra freeboard! My best friend has a Skeeter
> walleye boat, that quite honestly, I find no problem fishing from and
> gladly
> take the back seat in often.
> --
> Steve
>

> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
>> I know, I know. Dry ride and bass boat are mutually exclusive terms.
>> I'm
>> still trying though.
>>
>> I am looking for a dry ride that can handle some chop without dropping to
>> displacement speeds. My Baker Tunnel actually does pretty well, but it
> sits
>> so deep in the water at displacement speeds that it makes me nervous if I
>> have to drop off the pad in heavy waves or chop.
>>
>> I want a boat that can handle light chop upto a couple feet and keep the
>> riders fairly dry, but also cuts the waves well at displacement speeds if
> it
>> gets rougher.
>>
>> As I am sure a few of you know I have the Baker Tunnel up for sale, (now
>> that I have everything working right LOL) and I am looking for a new 20+
>> replace it. I have looked at a number of boats, and I am curious what
> boat
>> will give the best rough water ride. I am looking at fishing more pro
>> and
>> pro/am tournaments on Mead, Havasu, Powell, and Mohave in the next year,
> and
>> I want a boat that can handle the conditions that are frequent on those
>> bodies of water. I know its not possible to stay dry in a bass boat when
>> those 4-6 footers start rolling across Wahweap Bay on Lake Powell, but
> I'ld
>> like to be able to handle lighter weather as safely as possible.
>>
>> I know that the obvious answer is not to buy a bass boat. Go with an
>> enclosed front cabin Searay, but I want a bass boat. I suppose I should
>> also consider a walleye boat with its slightly higher freeboard, but a
>> lot
>> of manufacturers seem to be building a bass boat making a few minor
>> adjustments and calling it a walleye boat.
>>
>> I have my choices narrowed down based on price, overall safety, and
>> higher
>> rough water handling speeds. I am curious what the people in ROFB have
>> say on the subject.
>>
>> Bob La Londe
>> www.YumaBassMan.com
>>

> ---

Carlos
October 12th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Hi Bob,

Well, if it has to be a bass boat, then your stuck with the lower free
board. Big waves, big water, you most likely want a big boat.

I know that we have discussed this before, but it should be said again.
Buy from a dealer you trust to give you good service. That is the most
important item. If he has good service, that is prompt and friendly,
chances are he has one or more quality lines of boats.

That being said. I prefer Ranger. Why? Because no matter how bad it
gets out there, if that boat breaks down, just stay with the boat. You
cannot sink it. If it cannot sink unless broken into little pieces, it
will eventually get you to land. There is a lot of boats out there that
only float for a time. Or only level for a time when filled with water.
I have been in some that would head straight to the bottom if filled
with water.

My 400 series is a big improvement over the 300 series when it comes to
ride. New models are even better. It's not really necessary to beat
yourself so badly you **** blood anymore at the end of a day. Stay away
from hulls with almost no vee under them. Yeah, I know, everybody likes
what they own, but there is a lot of designs that are not very dry and
handle poorly in big water.

Winter shows are coming and that's a great time to pickup a new boat.

Later
Carlos

Bob La Londe
October 12th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Well, I don't claim to be an expert on everything about small craft
handling, but I took my small craft certification with the Coast Guard
Auxilary over 20 years ago. Somehow I managed to absorb a few things over
the years. I admit it has only been in the past few years I have gained any
experience with bass boats, but the principals of boat handling can't be all
that different with a bass boat except that they put you a lot closer to the
water. I have run Lake Powell in rough water more than once, and I have
tucked into a side canyon and road it out once or twice.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >> bodies of water. I know its not possible to stay dry in a bass boat
when
> >> those 4-6 footers start rolling across Wahweap Bay on Lake Powell, but
> > I'ld
> >> like to be able to handle lighter weather as safely as possible.
> >>
> >> I know that the obvious answer is not to buy a bass boat. Go with an
> >> enclosed front cabin Searay, but I want a bass boat. I suppose I
should
> >> also consider a walleye boat with its slightly higher freeboard, but a
> >> lot
> >> of manufacturers seem to be building a bass boat making a few minor
> >> adjustments and calling it a walleye boat.
> >>
> >> I have my choices narrowed down based on price, overall safety, and
> >> higher
> >> rough water handling speeds. I am curious what the people in ROFB have

go-bassn
October 12th, 2004, 06:51 PM
When I got to Erie I was scared to death. A day or two with Jack Dalzell's
buddy in those 6 footers & I felt perfectly comfortable, never speared a
single one. Like I said, it's all about the driver.

Warren

http://www.trackerboats.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.boat&nav=196&boat=1013
> [...]

those
> > > bodies of water. I know its not possible to stay dry in a bass boat
> when
> > > those 4-6 footers start rolling across Wahweap Bay on Lake Powell, but
> I'ld
> > > like to be able to handle lighter weather as safely as possible.
> > >
> > > I know that the obvious answer is not to buy a bass boat. Go with an
> > > enclosed front cabin Searay, but I want a bass boat. I suppose I
should
> > > also consider a walleye boat with its slightly higher freeboard, but a
> lot
> > > of manufacturers seem to be building a bass boat making a few minor
> > > adjustments and calling it a walleye boat.
> > >
> > > I have my choices narrowed down based on price, overall safety, and
> higher
> > > rough water handling speeds. I am curious what the people in ROFB

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> I know, I know. Dry ride and bass boat are mutually exclusive terms. I'm
> still trying though.

***No, dry ride and bass boat are NOT mutually exclusive terms. My Cobra
216 is a very dry riding boat. I've had it on Lake Erie in 4+ footers and
remained dry, I've run it on Lake Superior in even larger waves and stayed
dry. One game warden was out in a 19' Crestliner deep vee and had to wear
his raingear in order to keep from getting soaked. My son and I were quite
dry and comfortable.

*** See http://www.venomboats.com

> I want a boat that can handle light chop upto a couple feet and keep the
> riders fairly dry, but also cuts the waves well at displacement speeds if
it
> gets rougher.

*** See http://www.venomboats.com Look at the 216 models. It's what I have
and I've been VERY pleased with the boat.

> As I am sure a few of you know I have the Baker Tunnel up for sale, (now
> that I have everything working right LOL) and I am looking for a new 20+
> replace it. I have looked at a number of boats, and I am curious what
boat
> will give the best rough water ride. I am looking at fishing more pro and
> pro/am tournaments on Mead, Havasu, Powell, and Mohave in the next year,
and
> I want a boat that can handle the conditions that are frequent on those
> bodies of water. I know its not possible to stay dry in a bass boat when
> those 4-6 footers start rolling across Wahweap Bay on Lake Powell, but
I'ld
> like to be able to handle lighter weather as safely as possible.

***Dry ride is a direct result of hull design and driver skill. The hull of
my boat was designed with the California Delta and Lake Erie in mind. But,
even with the driest hull design, if the driver doesn't know what he's
doing, he's going to get wet. Now, before you get mad, I didn't say that
you were an inexperienced driver, it's just an observation. ;-)

> I know that the obvious answer is not to buy a bass boat. Go with an
> enclosed front cabin Searay, but I want a bass boat. I suppose I should
> also consider a walleye boat with its slightly higher freeboard, but a lot
> of manufacturers seem to be building a bass boat making a few minor
> adjustments and calling it a walleye boat.

*** Nope, go get a bass boat, there's good ones out there. Some boats are
built for speed, some for smooth, dry ride. Everyone that's been in my boat
has been impressed with it's handling, comfort and dry ride.

> I have my choices narrowed down based on price, overall safety, and higher
> rough water handling speeds. I am curious what the people in ROFB have to
> say on the subject.

*** Well, now you know my thoughts on the subject, let us know what you end
up getting.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM
> [...]

you were an inexperienced driver, it's just an observation. ;-)

> I know that the obvious answer is not to buy a bass boat. Go with an
> enclosed front cabin Searay, but I want a bass boat. I suppose I should
> also consider a walleye boat with its slightly higher freeboard, but a lot
> of manufacturers seem to be building a bass boat making a few minor
> adjustments and calling it a walleye boat.

*** Nope, go get a bass boat, there's good ones out there. Some boats are
built for speed, some for smooth, dry ride. Everyone that's been in my boat
has been impressed with it's handling, comfort and dry ride.

> I have my choices narrowed down based on price, overall safety, and higher
> rough water handling speeds. I am curious what the people in ROFB have to
> say on the subject.

*** Well, now you know my thoughts on the subject, let us know what you end

Bill Durham
October 17th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Bob La Londe wrote:

> I have my choices narrowed down based on price, overall safety, and higher
> rough water handling speeds. I am curious what the people in ROFB have to
> say on the subject.
>
> Bob La Londe
> www.YumaBassMan.com

Bob,

I'm a lurker, don't post much. I would suggest to you that you take a look at
some of the larger Sal****er Inshore or Flats boats. I have a Scout 192, Yamaha
150 combo that I really love for the fact that it is a "dry boat". No it
doesn't have 10 feet casting deck in the front, but it will fish just fine. And
No, it won't run 90 mph, but it fishes just fine. Ranger and Triton both make
these types of boats as well as probably 50 other mfg. And best of all...no
carpet to rot and replace.

FWIW
BD

Bill Durham
October 17th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Bob La Londe wrote:

> I have my choices narrowed down based on price, overall safety, and higher
> rough water handling speeds. I am curious what the people in ROFB have to
> say on the subject.
>
> Bob La Londe
> www.YumaBassMan.com

Bob,

I'm a lurker, don't post much. I would suggest to you that you take a look at
some of the larger Sal****er Inshore or Flats boats. I have a Scout 192, Yamaha
150 combo that I really love for the fact that it is a "dry boat". No it
doesn't have 10 feet casting deck in the front, but it will fish just fine. And
No, it won't run 90 mph, but it fishes just fine. Ranger and Triton both make
these types of boats as well as probably 50 other mfg. And best of all...no
carpet to rot and replace.

FWIW
BD

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM
"Bill Durham" > wrote in message<SNIP>

> Bob,
>
> I'm a lurker, don't post much. I would suggest to you that you take a
look at
> some of the larger Sal****er Inshore or Flats boats. I have a Scout 192,
Yamaha
> 150 combo that I really love for the fact that it is a "dry boat". No it
> doesn't have 10 feet casting deck in the front, but it will fish just
fine. And
> No, it won't run 90 mph, but it fishes just fine. Ranger and Triton both
make
> these types of boats as well as probably 50 other mfg. And best of
all...no
> carpet to rot and replace.

I looked into boats like that. I love the idea of not having a huge expanse
of carpet to take care of. The only problem with them that I can see is
that the pebble-grain surface gets slicker than deer guts on a doorknob with
a little snow or ice. And unfortunately, that's a real possibility in my
world, especially after yesterday.

We got snowed on most of the day. Just something to consider if you live
where snow is a possibility.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM
"Bill Durham" > wrote in message<SNIP>

> Bob,
>
> I'm a lurker, don't post much. I would suggest to you that you take a
look at
> some of the larger Sal****er Inshore or Flats boats. I have a Scout 192,
Yamaha
> 150 combo that I really love for the fact that it is a "dry boat". No it
> doesn't have 10 feet casting deck in the front, but it will fish just
fine. And
> No, it won't run 90 mph, but it fishes just fine. Ranger and Triton both
make
> these types of boats as well as probably 50 other mfg. And best of
all...no
> carpet to rot and replace.

I looked into boats like that. I love the idea of not having a huge expanse
of carpet to take care of. The only problem with them that I can see is
that the pebble-grain surface gets slicker than deer guts on a doorknob with
a little snow or ice. And unfortunately, that's a real possibility in my
world, especially after yesterday.

We got snowed on most of the day. Just something to consider if you live
where snow is a possibility.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Bill Durham
October 20th, 2004, 02:42 AM
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote:

> I looked into boats like that. I love the idea of not having a huge expanse
> of carpet to take care of. The only problem with them that I can see is
> that the pebble-grain surface gets slicker than deer guts on a doorknob with
> a little snow or ice. And unfortunately, that's a real possibility in my
> world, especially after yesterday.
>
> We got snowed on most of the day. Just something to consider if you live
> where snow is a possibility.
> --
> Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Steve,

Well, that is a different can of worms all together!! I live in the Atlanta area
and don't have to worry to much about snow and ice. I can see your point
though. I haven't had much problem with just water though, it doesn't seem to
get the boat that slick.

BD

Bill Durham
October 20th, 2004, 02:42 AM
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote:

> I looked into boats like that. I love the idea of not having a huge expanse
> of carpet to take care of. The only problem with them that I can see is
> that the pebble-grain surface gets slicker than deer guts on a doorknob with
> a little snow or ice. And unfortunately, that's a real possibility in my
> world, especially after yesterday.
>
> We got snowed on most of the day. Just something to consider if you live
> where snow is a possibility.
> --
> Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
> http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
> http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Steve,

Well, that is a different can of worms all together!! I live in the Atlanta area
and don't have to worry to much about snow and ice. I can see your point
though. I haven't had much problem with just water though, it doesn't seem to
get the boat that slick.

BD

Spoonplugger1
October 23rd, 2004, 12:13 AM
Just buy one of the multi-species boats form the same people you've narrowed
your choices to. All will have a drier ride and will run fast as it's just
as important for them to get to where they are going, as it is the bassers.
I find the raised edge around the casting deck to be nicer and drier to fish
from in rough weather also.