PDA

View Full Version : MArine Radio

Bob La Londe
October 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM
"FCC regulations require boaters having VHF radios to maintain a watch on
either VHF channel 9 or channel 16, whenever the radio is turned on and not
communicating with another station."

Interesting. I was on a charter a couple years ago when the captain had
turned down the volume on the radio for a moment to have a conversation with
a passenger. A couple hours later I noticed the captian studying the
horizon with great care. He commented that sure looked like a storm bearing
down on us. He spun the boat around and fired up the engines. We ran in
front of the strom at full throttle all the way to port. The storm hit us a
few minutes after we made it into the harbor. On the trip in he complained
about not hearing the storm warning on the radio, and then he noticed the
radio volume was turned down. When he turned it up there was a storm
warning being broadcast.

If you have a marine radio on your boat you should certainly have it turned
on.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing