PDA

View Full Version : draycote water

G69
October 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Had a days fishing at draycote water on Sunday and had no follow or
takes.This fly fishing is very frustrating .Its the third water me and my
mate
have visited (Bellbrook and shatter) and I have caught now't my mate has
taken a near 2lb rainbow at Bellbrook by fowl hooking the nose of a trout.We
both changed fly's and floating to intermediate lines throughout the day,
Our casting has improved to a competent level but still no results.. at
first we tried the area by the Valve Tower and then moved to the north side
of Toft Shallows when the last cast was cast we returned to the lodge have
a look at the days catch and found that we are on our own when it comes to a
blank sheet most of the fish were taken in the boats or from
farborough spit. We still had a great day out but are we doing something
wrong.any advice we be welcome and we will keep trying till we get it
right.

G.P: Help I'm sinking

laxhill
October 13th, 2004, 08:37 PM
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:30:21 +0100, "G69" > wrote:

>Had a days fishing at draycote water on Sunday and had no follow or
>takes.This fly fishing is very frustrating .Its the third water me and my
>mate
>have visited (Bellbrook and shatter) and I have caught now't my mate has
>taken a near 2lb rainbow at Bellbrook by fowl hooking the nose of a trout.We
>both changed fly's and floating to intermediate lines throughout the day,
>Our casting has improved to a competent level but still no results.. at
>first we tried the area by the Valve Tower and then moved to the north side
>of Toft Shallows when the last cast was cast we returned to the lodge have
>a look at the days catch and found that we are on our own when it comes to a
>blank sheet most of the fish were taken in the boats or from
>farborough spit. We still had a great day out but are we doing something
>wrong.any advice we be welcome and we will keep trying till we get it
>right.
>

>G.P: Help I'm sinking

I would suggest you give other successful anglers the polite "third
degree". Not just "have you caught and what fly" but also what fly
line - floater, sinker if sinker what density, slow sink, medium, fast
etc. What length of leader,what breaking strain, What rate the
retrieve was , twitch, slow draw, fast pulls etc. Was the fly
retrieved immediately or allowed to sink. If allowed to sink for how
long. Did they catch throughout the day or for a distinct period. If
bank fishing were the fish close in or a long way out. What were the
weather conditions. It sounds a bit over powering given in a sort of
list but given the right approach most anglers will pass info on. If
you don't get it all off one angler persevere with others. The more
knowledge you build up the more success you will have. Also always
talk to the wardens for updates on the best areas. It is in their
interest to have successful anglers. Other anglers will not
unnaturally be less inclined to pass on exact locations.
Tight lines

Keith

laxhill
October 13th, 2004, 08:37 PM
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:30:21 +0100, "G69" > wrote:

>Had a days fishing at draycote water on Sunday and had no follow or
>takes.This fly fishing is very frustrating .Its the third water me and my
>mate
>have visited (Bellbrook and shatter) and I have caught now't my mate has
>taken a near 2lb rainbow at Bellbrook by fowl hooking the nose of a trout.We
>both changed fly's and floating to intermediate lines throughout the day,
>Our casting has improved to a competent level but still no results.. at
>first we tried the area by the Valve Tower and then moved to the north side
>of Toft Shallows when the last cast was cast we returned to the lodge have
>a look at the days catch and found that we are on our own when it comes to a
>blank sheet most of the fish were taken in the boats or from
>farborough spit. We still had a great day out but are we doing something
>wrong.any advice we be welcome and we will keep trying till we get it
>right.
>

>G.P: Help I'm sinking

I would suggest you give other successful anglers the polite "third
degree". Not just "have you caught and what fly" but also what fly
line - floater, sinker if sinker what density, slow sink, medium, fast
etc. What length of leader,what breaking strain, What rate the
retrieve was , twitch, slow draw, fast pulls etc. Was the fly
retrieved immediately or allowed to sink. If allowed to sink for how
long. Did they catch throughout the day or for a distinct period. If
bank fishing were the fish close in or a long way out. What were the
weather conditions. It sounds a bit over powering given in a sort of
list but given the right approach most anglers will pass info on. If
you don't get it all off one angler persevere with others. The more
knowledge you build up the more success you will have. Also always
talk to the wardens for updates on the best areas. It is in their
interest to have successful anglers. Other anglers will not
unnaturally be less inclined to pass on exact locations.
Tight lines

Keith

Allan
October 13th, 2004, 08:48 PM
"G69" > wrote in message
> Had a days fishing at draycote water on Sunday and had no follow or
> takes.This fly fishing is very frustrating .Its the third water me and my
> mate
> have visited (Bellbrook and shatter) and I have caught now't my mate has
> taken a near 2lb rainbow at Bellbrook by fowl hooking the nose of a
trout.We
> both changed fly's and floating to intermediate lines throughout the day,
> Our casting has improved to a competent level but still no results.. at
> first we tried the area by the Valve Tower and then moved to the north
side
> of Toft Shallows when the last cast was cast we returned to the lodge
have
> a look at the days catch and found that we are on our own when it comes to
> blank sheet most of the fish were taken in the boats or from
> farborough spit. We still had a great day out but are we doing something
> wrong.any advice we be welcome and we will keep trying till we get it
> right.
>

> G.P: Help I'm sinking
>
> I get to Draycote about once each season and boat fish it. I've had some
good and some bad days, but I always start with a chat with the warden
(Keith?) who is extremely helpful and will pass on the info he's been given
by anglers on locations, flies, depths, etc. He'll show you where the
locations are on the map and it's always worth coming back to the lodge for
a break during the day to get up to date info passed on by any angler who's
already weighed in. Keep fishing and good luck.

Allan

Allan
October 13th, 2004, 08:48 PM
"G69" > wrote in message
> Had a days fishing at draycote water on Sunday and had no follow or
> takes.This fly fishing is very frustrating .Its the third water me and my
> mate
> have visited (Bellbrook and shatter) and I have caught now't my mate has
> taken a near 2lb rainbow at Bellbrook by fowl hooking the nose of a
trout.We
> both changed fly's and floating to intermediate lines throughout the day,
> Our casting has improved to a competent level but still no results.. at
> first we tried the area by the Valve Tower and then moved to the north
side
> of Toft Shallows when the last cast was cast we returned to the lodge
have
> a look at the days catch and found that we are on our own when it comes to
> blank sheet most of the fish were taken in the boats or from
> farborough spit. We still had a great day out but are we doing something
> wrong.any advice we be welcome and we will keep trying till we get it
> right.
>

> G.P: Help I'm sinking
>
> I get to Draycote about once each season and boat fish it. I've had some
good and some bad days, but I always start with a chat with the warden
(Keith?) who is extremely helpful and will pass on the info he's been given
by anglers on locations, flies, depths, etc. He'll show you where the
locations are on the map and it's always worth coming back to the lodge for
a break during the day to get up to date info passed on by any angler who's
already weighed in. Keep fishing and good luck.

Allan

G69
October 14th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Cheers Keith and Allan Thank you for the advice.

We had a good chat to Kieth causer The guy who owns the lease on the water
and i have to say he was very helpful the best site warden we have spoken to
so far
I will return to Draycote soon and give it another try. I will be in
barmouth wales at end of oct
anyone Know of any good sites to fish (don,t mention it to the wife)!

G.P Sinking fast but smilling!

Rich Milburn
October 14th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Hi,
I too am pretty new to fly fishing, only been doing it for a couple of
months.
In my experience so far, fishing the bigger waters can be a very hit and
miss affair.
I started on small (4 or 5 acre) fisheries and managed to catch fish on only
my 3rd outing.
I have subsequently fished larger lakes, Sutton Bingham and Chew.
At Sutton I blanked completely. At Chew I caught 3, but my 2 mates who were
with me and much more experienced than me blanked.

If it's starting to get you down, try a well stocked small fishery, bend the
odds in your favour :)

I don't know the waters you mentioned, but you talk about people boat
fishing so I am assuming they are fairly large.

Good luck and keep trying.

Rich.

"G69" > wrote in message
> Had a days fishing at draycote water on Sunday and had no follow or
> takes.This fly fishing is very frustrating .Its the third water me and my
> mate
> have visited (Bellbrook and shatter) and I have caught now't my mate has
> taken a near 2lb rainbow at Bellbrook by fowl hooking the nose of a
trout.We
> both changed fly's and floating to intermediate lines throughout the day,
> Our casting has improved to a competent level but still no results.. at
> first we tried the area by the Valve Tower and then moved to the north
side
> of Toft Shallows when the last cast was cast we returned to the lodge
have
> a look at the days catch and found that we are on our own when it comes to
> blank sheet most of the fish were taken in the boats or from
> farborough spit. We still had a great day out but are we doing something
> wrong.any advice we be welcome and we will keep trying till we get it
> right.
>

> G.P: Help I'm sinking

---

W. D. Grey
October 14th, 2004, 10:06 PM
In article >, Rich Milburn
> writes
>I don't know the waters you mentioned, but you talk about people boat
>fishing so I am assuming they are fairly large.

The waters or the people?...:-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
October 14th, 2004, 10:06 PM
In article >, Rich Milburn
> writes
>I don't know the waters you mentioned, but you talk about people boat
>fishing so I am assuming they are fairly large.

The waters or the people?...:-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Rich Milburn
October 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM

> The waters or the people?...:-)

Both, I think :)

---

Rich Milburn
October 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM

> The waters or the people?...:-)

Both, I think :)

---

Rich Milburn
October 17th, 2004, 11:23 PM
GP
Don't know if you have heard of this forum, but there is a lot more activity
than on this newsgroup.
If you've not seen it before, check it out.

http://flyforums.proboards35.com/index.cgi

Rich.

"G69" > wrote in message
> Cheers Keith and Allan Thank you for the advice.
>
> We had a good chat to Kieth causer The guy who owns the lease on the water
> and i have to say he was very helpful the best site warden we have spoken
> so far
> I will return to Draycote soon and give it another try. I will be in
> barmouth wales at end of oct
> anyone Know of any good sites to fish (don,t mention it to the wife)!
> >

> G.P Sinking fast but smilling!

---

G69
October 18th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Thank you for all the advice. The first 2 trips were small, Draford is a
large resi near rugby.

G69
October 18th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Thank you for all the advice. The first 2 trips were small, Draford is a
large resi near rugby.

Derek.Moody
October 19th, 2004, 11:43 PM
In article >, Rich Milburn
> wrote:
> Well all the fish I catch on the fly are considered game fish.....

How odd.

I think I caught a few game fish on fly this year, maybe half a dozen
tiny brownies but they are an exception.

As usual I have caught considerably more game fish during the same period
by other methods. Many of them sizeable brown trout from a water with a
busy footpath adjacent where a flyfishing backcast is dangerous.

And I've caught a considerable number of fish on the fly which were not
game fish - so OT here.

Cheerio,

--

Derek.Moody
October 19th, 2004, 11:43 PM
In article >, Rich Milburn
> wrote:
> Well all the fish I catch on the fly are considered game fish.....

How odd.

I think I caught a few game fish on fly this year, maybe half a dozen
tiny brownies but they are an exception.

As usual I have caught considerably more game fish during the same period
by other methods. Many of them sizeable brown trout from a water with a
busy footpath adjacent where a flyfishing backcast is dangerous.

And I've caught a considerable number of fish on the fly which were not
game fish - so OT here.

Cheerio,

--

W. D. Grey
October 20th, 2004, 11:39 AM
In article >, Rich Milburn
> writes
>Well all the fish I catch on the fly are considered game fish.....

A friend of mine caught a 30 lbs Pike on a fly - he was fishing for
trout on Llandegfedd at the time!

Roach are frequently found in still waters and they aren't game fish.

The fish you catch which are not what the majority call game fish may
indeed be "game" for having enough bottle to have a go at your fly.

You haven't included a smiley in your posting so I assume you are
serious.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Dave Lane
October 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
In message >
"W. D. Grey" > wrote:

> In article >, Rich Milburn
> > writes
> >Well all the fish I catch on the fly are considered game fish.....
>
> A friend of mine caught a 30 lbs Pike on a fly - he was fishing for
> trout on Llandegfedd at the time!
>
> Roach are frequently found in still waters and they aren't game fish.

you should have a word with Andy Lawson, the world expert on catching
coarse fish on 'game' waters. Barbel, Roach, - you name it, he's had it.

:+)

--

.... I know so little, but I know it fluently...

Andy Lawson
October 20th, 2004, 10:57 PM
"Dave Lane" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "W. D. Grey" > wrote:
>
>> In article >, Rich Milburn
>> > writes
>> >Well all the fish I catch on the fly are considered game fish.....
>>
>> A friend of mine caught a 30 lbs Pike on a fly - he was fishing for
>> trout on Llandegfedd at the time!
>>
>> Roach are frequently found in still waters and they aren't game fish.
>>

> you should have a word with Andy Lawson, the world expert on catching
> coarse fish on 'game' waters. Barbel, Roach, - you name it, he's had it.
>
> :+)

Yep... also Grayling (OK... so it has a adipose fin, but is still regarded
as a coarse fish), Perch, Dace, oh and don't forget Chub. River Windrush
last year? Grannom dry fly? You were with me at the time for that one Dave!
:o)

I do, on occasion, manage to catch a few Trout as well.

--
Andy Lawson

Andy Lawson
October 20th, 2004, 10:57 PM
"Dave Lane" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "W. D. Grey" > wrote:
>
>> In article >, Rich Milburn
>> > writes
>> >Well all the fish I catch on the fly are considered game fish.....
>>
>> A friend of mine caught a 30 lbs Pike on a fly - he was fishing for
>> trout on Llandegfedd at the time!
>>
>> Roach are frequently found in still waters and they aren't game fish.
>>

> you should have a word with Andy Lawson, the world expert on catching
> coarse fish on 'game' waters. Barbel, Roach, - you name it, he's had it.
>
> :+)

Yep... also Grayling (OK... so it has a adipose fin, but is still regarded
as a coarse fish), Perch, Dace, oh and don't forget Chub. River Windrush
last year? Grannom dry fly? You were with me at the time for that one Dave!
:o)

I do, on occasion, manage to catch a few Trout as well.

--
Andy Lawson

W. D. Grey
October 20th, 2004, 11:15 PM
In article >, Andy Lawson
> writes
>Yep... also Grayling (OK... so it has a adipose fin, but is still regarded
>as a coarse fish), Perch, Dace, oh and don't forget Chub. River Windrush
>last year? Grannom dry fly? You were with me at the time for that one Dave!
>:o)

Ah the Grannom - a little sedge useful on waters around the end of May.
The upper reaches of the Teifi around Tregaron is famous for its Grannom
hatch.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Peter Cliff
October 21st, 2004, 08:28 AM
Why not have a quick look at Nine Oaks Fishery near Llangranog just down
the coast from Barmouth. It's a small game/coarse venue with a very
helpful owner who will set you right.

You can find all the details and photographs on:

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/nineoaks

Good luck

Peter
--