PDA

View Full Version : Big water tactics

tomScotland
October 14th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Inspired by the recent increase in posts here..........

The River Leven - flows out of Loch Lomond and 6 miles later reached the
Clyde. Anyway, there has been big water nearly all season due to the water
levels in the loch, but this last week or two the water has been extremely
high - far too high for safe wading, so fly fishing is out. There are 2
weeks of the season left and I'm looking for tips regarding other methods.

I've had 3 salmon of it so far (2 in August, yellow flying C, 7lbs and 8.5
lbs) and one in September (worm, 7lbs). I'd love another by the seasons end
but I've been hammering the water every day for the last 3 weeks with
nothing. I've been seeking out slacker runs where fish may be getting
respite out of the main current (the river is *high* - but receeding slowly
now). Salmon would appear to be running in in ones and twos on every tide,
but not showing anywhere on the river - so does anyone have any good big
water tips for me?

--
The following is a true story -
only the address has been changed, to protect the guilty

tomScotland - stick this in yer fusebox!
blog - http://musicalsnobbery.blogspot.com
stop your grinnin' and drop YOUR LINEN to reply

Dave Lane
October 15th, 2004, 09:26 AM
In message >
"tomScotland" > wrote:

> Inspired by the recent increase in posts here..........
[snip]
> but not showing anywhere on the river - so does anyone have any good big
> water tips for me?

try a devon minnow trickled through some of the slower, shallower water;
if the water is coloured, go for a green/yellow, but in clear water, use
a blue/silver - might give you a surprise... :+)

good luck,

Literacy Support Software from:
Xavier Educational Software Ltd
School of Psychology, University of Wales Bangor
http://xavier.bangor.ac.uk/

.... 'E's an 'alibut.