PDA

View Full Version : Hook size nomenclature

david
October 18th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Tried to work this out but can't.

I understand that hooks are sized 0 to whatever and that a size1 hook is BIG
and a size 10 hook is teeny, but whats the alternative method wherein a
slah and a zero follows? e.g. 4/0.

Whats the trailing zero mean and why is it always a zero? I assume it isnt
ALWAYS a zero, but I have never seen anything other than a zero.

So, why two systems (1,2,3 etc and 1/0, 2/0, 3/0) and what do they mean?

David

Viktor
October 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Maybe this helps:
hook sizes small to large
10, 5, 1, 1/0, 2/0 etc.

so 1 is BIG but 1/0 is BIGGER

"david" > wrote in message
> Tried to work this out but can't.
>
> I understand that hooks are sized 0 to whatever and that a size1 hook is
BIG
> and a size 10 hook is teeny, but whats the alternative method wherein a
> slah and a zero follows? e.g. 4/0.
>
> Whats the trailing zero mean and why is it always a zero? I assume it
isnt
> ALWAYS a zero, but I have never seen anything other than a zero.
>
> So, why two systems (1,2,3 etc and 1/0, 2/0, 3/0) and what do they mean?
>
> David

Viktor
October 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Maybe this helps:
hook sizes small to large
10, 5, 1, 1/0, 2/0 etc.

so 1 is BIG but 1/0 is BIGGER

"david" > wrote in message
> Tried to work this out but can't.
>
> I understand that hooks are sized 0 to whatever and that a size1 hook is
BIG
> and a size 10 hook is teeny, but whats the alternative method wherein a
> slah and a zero follows? e.g. 4/0.
>
> Whats the trailing zero mean and why is it always a zero? I assume it
isnt
> ALWAYS a zero, but I have never seen anything other than a zero.
>
> So, why two systems (1,2,3 etc and 1/0, 2/0, 3/0) and what do they mean?
>
> David

david
October 18th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Ah, thanks.

"Viktor" > wrote in message
> Maybe this helps:
> hook sizes small to large
> 10, 5, 1, 1/0, 2/0 etc.
>
> so 1 is BIG but 1/0 is BIGGER
>
> "david" > wrote in message
>> Tried to work this out but can't.
>>
>> I understand that hooks are sized 0 to whatever and that a size1 hook is
> BIG
>> and a size 10 hook is teeny, but whats the alternative method wherein a
>> slah and a zero follows? e.g. 4/0.
>>
>> Whats the trailing zero mean and why is it always a zero? I assume it
> isnt
>> ALWAYS a zero, but I have never seen anything other than a zero.
>>
>> So, why two systems (1,2,3 etc and 1/0, 2/0, 3/0) and what do they mean?
>>
>> David

david
October 18th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Ah, thanks.

"Viktor" > wrote in message
> Maybe this helps:
> hook sizes small to large
> 10, 5, 1, 1/0, 2/0 etc.
>
> so 1 is BIG but 1/0 is BIGGER
>
> "david" > wrote in message
>> Tried to work this out but can't.
>>
>> I understand that hooks are sized 0 to whatever and that a size1 hook is
> BIG
>> and a size 10 hook is teeny, but whats the alternative method wherein a
>> slah and a zero follows? e.g. 4/0.
>>
>> Whats the trailing zero mean and why is it always a zero? I assume it
> isnt
>> ALWAYS a zero, but I have never seen anything other than a zero.
>>
>> So, why two systems (1,2,3 etc and 1/0, 2/0, 3/0) and what do they mean?
>>
>> David

Derek.Moody
October 19th, 2004, 12:29 AM
In article >, Viktor
> wrote:
> Maybe this helps:
> hook sizes small to large
> 10, 5, 1, 1/0, 2/0 etc.

The first commercial hooks were made by needle manufacturers - the numbers
are derived from those of the size of needle that was bent to produce the
hook.

Needles don't generally go as big as the hooks neded for conger and shark
so a new numbering scale was added. I don't know what the 'O' stands for
but I always think of it as the letter 'O' for 'Oversize'.

Cheerio,

--

Derek.Moody
October 19th, 2004, 12:29 AM
In article >, Viktor
> wrote:
> Maybe this helps:
> hook sizes small to large
> 10, 5, 1, 1/0, 2/0 etc.

The first commercial hooks were made by needle manufacturers - the numbers
are derived from those of the size of needle that was bent to produce the
hook.

Needles don't generally go as big as the hooks neded for conger and shark
so a new numbering scale was added. I don't know what the 'O' stands for
but I always think of it as the letter 'O' for 'Oversize'.

Cheerio,

--

Chris Mitchell
October 19th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Typically X/0 sizes tend to be sal****er hooks and get bigger as X
increases, whereas X sizes tend to be freshwater and get smaller as X
increases.
"david" > wrote in message
> Tried to work this out but can't.
>
> I understand that hooks are sized 0 to whatever and that a size1 hook is
BIG
> and a size 10 hook is teeny, but whats the alternative method wherein a
> slah and a zero follows? e.g. 4/0.
>
> Whats the trailing zero mean and why is it always a zero? I assume it
isnt
> ALWAYS a zero, but I have never seen anything other than a zero.
>
> So, why two systems (1,2,3 etc and 1/0, 2/0, 3/0) and what do they mean?
>
> David

Keith M
October 29th, 2004, 08:08 PM
David

Re yourquestion about hook sizes

My personnal theory for the /0 suffis is that having got hook sizes as large
as 1 on a decending scale, there was only one way to go in respect of larger
sizes and that was upwards again but now with aan indicator such as /0 ....
to indicate that the sizes were still increasing.

This idea obviously gainje popu;lae acceptance and has become an un-disputed
standard.

I am working on discovering who, where and when the system started.

Out of interest has anyone any evidence of firstly a hook size O
and
secondly of hooks with an uneven size number.

A very sad and fish deprived Keith