PDA

View Full Version : Mustard hook problem

Victor
October 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were fine
but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is going
on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.

Kid Curry
October 18th, 2004, 10:01 PM
"Victor" > wrote in message
> I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
fine
> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
going
> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.

You probably tied them back to front, which is why they went rushty.

The Big Man
October 18th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Presuming that you're fishing with them and not adding to a ham sandwich
(Mustad) the only ones which won't rust are the stainless steel ones.

The Big Man

"Victor" > wrote in message
>I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
> fine
> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
> going
> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.

Derek.Moody
October 19th, 2004, 12:24 AM
In article >, Victor
> wrote:
> I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were fine
> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is going
> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.

There's little point in trying to keep hooks smaller than about 4/0 after
a trip. Any time you touch rock, shell or even sand you take a little off
the sharpness and resharpening small hooks is difficult. They are cheap
enough that you may as well throw the used hooks away when you get home
after each trip.

I do not use stainless steel hooks for general fishing. I reckon it is
better that any hooks I lose rust away quickly rather than wash ashore in
a bundle of seaweed where some animal or child might encounter them.

I have no idea who makes all the hooks I use (I don't store them in
manufacturers packs.) Some of them are probably Mustads but these days
in the UK it is hard to find bad hooks.

Cheerio,

--

Marty
October 19th, 2004, 12:46 AM
"Victor" > wrote in message
> I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
fine
> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
going
> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.
>
> Surely it is better if they rust as deep hooked fish (and fish lost on
traces) might live when the hook rusts out ?

Marty
October 19th, 2004, 12:46 AM
"Victor" > wrote in message
> I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
fine
> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
going
> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.
>
> Surely it is better if they rust as deep hooked fish (and fish lost on
traces) might live when the hook rusts out ?

Luis Troyano
October 19th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Simply give your rigs a quick spray of WD40 when you finish fishing,
then put them away for next time. I keep a can in my tackle box :)

Luis

"Marty" > wrote in message

> "Victor" > wrote in message
>> I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
>> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
>> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
> fine
>> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
> going
>> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.
>>
>> Surely it is better if they rust as deep hooked fish (and fish lost on
> traces) might live when the hook rusts out ?

SEAANGLING
October 19th, 2004, 10:54 PM
>They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't>>>
rust.

Unless they are stainless they will rust in salt water, all steel will. Either
throw them away when you get home or rinse them in fresh water and spray with
wd 40 or soak in pilchard oil. The choice is yours. I personally love Mustads
hooks, along with Kamasans but they all rust unless they are stainless, it's a
fact of life, cheers, Norman.

Lucky Luke
October 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
"The Big Man" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Presuming that you're fishing with them and not adding to a ham sandwich
> (Mustad) the only ones which won't rust are the stainless steel ones.

Even the Stainless Steel ones get rusty because they are not stainless steel
as is written in the box.
I have carbon hooks that never gets rusty.

> The Big Man
>
> "Victor" > wrote in message
> >I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> > They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they
don't
> > rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
> > fine
> > but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
> > going
> > on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.

Lucky Luke
October 25th, 2004, 10:37 PM
"Derek.Moody" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >, Victor
> > wrote:
> > I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> > They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they
don't
> > rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
fine
> > but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
going
> > on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.
>
> There's little point in trying to keep hooks smaller than about 4/0 after
> a trip. Any time you touch rock, shell or even sand you take a little off
> the sharpness and resharpening small hooks is difficult. They are cheap
> enough that you may as well throw the used hooks away when you get home
> after each trip.
>
> I do not use stainless steel hooks for general fishing. I reckon it is
> better that any hooks I lose rust away quickly rather than wash ashore in
> a bundle of seaweed where some animal or child might encounter them.
>
> I have no idea who makes all the hooks I use (I don't store them in
> manufacturers packs.) Some of them are probably Mustads but these days
> in the UK it is hard to find bad hooks.

True. I got different hooks from relatives in UK(London) and i was very
satisfied even if they were not from famous brand.

Lucky Luke
October 25th, 2004, 10:40 PM
"Marty" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Victor" > wrote in message
> > I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> > They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they
don't
> > rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
> fine
> > but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
> going
> > on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.
> >
> Surely it is better if they rust as deep hooked fish (and fish lost on
> traces) might live when the hook rusts out ?

I agree with you. Is good for fishes but not for fisherman.

Lucky Luke
October 25th, 2004, 10:42 PM
"Victor" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
fine
> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
going
> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.

In fact ...it *was*.
Not all Mustads are good. Some is good and some is not.
At the moment Gamakatsu is the leader, followed by Partridge, Eagle Claw and
VMC.

Lucky Luke
October 25th, 2004, 10:42 PM
"Victor" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they don't
> rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
fine
> but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
going
> on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.

In fact ...it *was*.
Not all Mustads are good. Some is good and some is not.
At the moment Gamakatsu is the leader, followed by Partridge, Eagle Claw and
VMC.

Marty
October 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM
"Lucky Luke" > wrote in message

> "Victor" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I did lots of see fishing this summer. I used Mustard 3406 power hooks.
> > They have a salt water tag on the pack. I presumed this means they
don't
> > rust. I was wrong. They are crap. The mustard aberdeens I used were
> fine
> > but the 3406 were covered with rust after first use. What the hell is
> going
> > on? I thought mustard was a leading brand.
>
> In fact ...it *was*.
> Not all Mustads are good. Some is good and some is not.
> At the moment Gamakatsu is the leader, followed by Partridge, Eagle Claw
and
> VMC.
>
> you can get hooks that have a perma-steel finnish which don't seem to rust
i got mine from www.uk-hooks.org he does Mustad ,Eagle Claw and
VMC as well as other makes and cheap!

Cliff
October 27th, 2004, 10:16 AM
His Red VMC hooks are brilliant,me & the misses pulled dozens of whiting in
at Blackpool when people were struggling to connect & every one went back
alive as they were hooked before swallowing it