PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new rod

Anonymous
October 30th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for something a
bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on the best
rod/line weight and action to go for.

I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
any alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance

laxhill
October 31st, 2004, 07:33 AM
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:58:38 +0000 (UTC), "Anonymous"
> wrote:

>I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for something a
>bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on the best
>rod/line weight and action to go for.
>
>I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
>stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
>a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
>any alternative suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance

Largely personal preference. You don't say the size of the
stillwaters. If predominently "small" then the size you mention would
probably be ok. If "large" - Rutland, Grafham etc then I would go
longer and heavier - say 10' and #7. I used 10' 6" off the bank for
many years - there was a distinct advatage in a longer rod for lifting
line and covering a rising fish. With the lightness of modern rods a
longer rod doesn't have the weight disadvantage it used to have. You
have leverage on the wrist of course. Your own build, height etc
should be considered - a gorilla can cope better ...... ;-)
You say something "special". I suspect this means more expnsive ;-).
It should still be based on what you have found works in your existing
rods regarding length, line weight and action. Off fishing through the
mist now
ttfn
Keith

W. D. Grey
October 31st, 2004, 10:43 PM
In article >, Anonymous
> writes
>I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
>stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
>a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
>any alternative suggestions?

9'-6" is a good all round length, I'd prefer to see the "# " being
something like6/8 or 7/'9 though.

If you want a bit of distance, the a tippy rod will serve you well.

As for make of rod, well beware paying for the Name.

I knew a chap who won a fly rod in a raffle - the cost of the rod was
about 25 quid. It cast beautifully all the same.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Norman Greenwood
October 31st, 2004, 11:15 PM
In 1991 I purchased a Sage Graphite 111
Model GFL696RPL, a 9' 6" No 6 line rod.
I have Fly fished for over 40 years and before buying this rod had tried
several 10' and 10'6" rods, all with the same result-Tennis Elbow. I
have used the Sage rod extensively for Reservoir, Loch, river and sea
fishing, with no problems. I just love it and would get another tomorrow
if it were lost.
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

"Anonymous" > wrote in message
> I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for
something a
> bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on
the best
> rod/line weight and action to go for.
>
> I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
> stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was
thinking that
> a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody
have
> any alternative suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

Ian D
November 1st, 2004, 01:36 PM
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:58:38 +0000 (UTC), "Anonymous"
> wrote:

>I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for something a
>bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on the best
>rod/line weight and action to go for.
>
>I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
>stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
>a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
>any alternative suggestions?

Over the years I've gone from 9' #6 to 10'6" #8 and back to 9' #7 for
general stillwater use (with 8' 6" #5 used quite often).
The shorter rods cast as far and are much less tiring to use in my
opinion.
I prefer the #7 weight as it can be used to cast lures, although I'll
admit I only use 'mini-lures', yet still be light enough to cast a
medium to large dry fly with reasonable delicacy.

I prefer tip (ish) actioned rods myself, but as far as rod action goes
it's largely down to casting style and personal preference.

Cheers
Ian D

Ian D
November 1st, 2004, 01:36 PM
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:58:38 +0000 (UTC), "Anonymous"
> wrote:

>I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for something a
>bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on the best
>rod/line weight and action to go for.
>
>I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
>stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
>a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
>any alternative suggestions?

Over the years I've gone from 9' #6 to 10'6" #8 and back to 9' #7 for
general stillwater use (with 8' 6" #5 used quite often).
The shorter rods cast as far and are much less tiring to use in my
opinion.
I prefer the #7 weight as it can be used to cast lures, although I'll
admit I only use 'mini-lures', yet still be light enough to cast a
medium to large dry fly with reasonable delicacy.

I prefer tip (ish) actioned rods myself, but as far as rod action goes
it's largely down to casting style and personal preference.

Cheers
Ian D

MP
November 1st, 2004, 10:11 PM
Anonymous wrote:
> I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for something a
> bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on the best
> rod/line weight and action to go for.
>
> I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
> stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
> a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
> any alternative suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

9ft 6 is a good choice. I bought a David Norwich 4 piece (4 piece is
very useful for planes and loses nothing in action) 9.5ft 6/7 in 1991.
Despite having bought a number of top quality rods since then, I have
used it for about 80% of my fishing - everything from hill lochs,
chalkstreams, sea trout and even small river salmon fishing.

It's a bit too powerful for some trout rivers and too light for most
salmon fishing but is perfect for most things and at a push can be used
for nearly anything. It also casts a very long way indeed - even with a
big lure on the end.

I'm sure a modern top quality rod will be just as good, but be aware
some are very fragile.

Personally I find powerful rods beyond 10 feet a huge disadvantage where
long casting is required - they put a lot of strain on the arm and are
less efficient.

Best Regards

MP
November 1st, 2004, 10:11 PM
Anonymous wrote:
> I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for something a
> bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on the best
> rod/line weight and action to go for.
>
> I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
> stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
> a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
> any alternative suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

9ft 6 is a good choice. I bought a David Norwich 4 piece (4 piece is
very useful for planes and loses nothing in action) 9.5ft 6/7 in 1991.
Despite having bought a number of top quality rods since then, I have
used it for about 80% of my fishing - everything from hill lochs,
chalkstreams, sea trout and even small river salmon fishing.

It's a bit too powerful for some trout rivers and too light for most
salmon fishing but is perfect for most things and at a push can be used
for nearly anything. It also casts a very long way indeed - even with a
big lure on the end.

I'm sure a modern top quality rod will be just as good, but be aware
some are very fragile.

Personally I find powerful rods beyond 10 feet a huge disadvantage where
long casting is required - they put a lot of strain on the arm and are
less efficient.

Best Regards

MP
November 1st, 2004, 10:15 PM

Anonymous wrote:
> I'm considering trading in my existing trout rods and reels for something a
> bit special and I was hoping somebody could offer me some advice on the best
> rod/line weight and action to go for.
>
> I know that one rod can't do everything but as I'll mostly be fishing
> stillwater fisheries from the bank (and occasional boat) I was thinking that
> a 9' - 9'6'' #6 with a tip-action would be a good all-rounder. Anybody have
> any alternative suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

9ft 6 is a good choice. I bought a David Norwich 4 piece (4 piece is
very useful for planes and loses nothing in action) 9.5ft 6/7 in 1991.
Despite having bought a number of top quality rods since then, I have
used it for about 80% of my fishing - everything from hill lochs,
chalkstreams, sea trout and even small river salmon fishing.

It's a bit too powerful for some trout rivers and too light for most
salmon fishing but is perfect for most things and at a push can be used
for nearly anything. It also casts a very long way indeed - even with a
big lure on the end.

I'm sure a modern top quality rod will be just as good, but be aware
some are very fragile.

Personally I find powerful rods beyond 10 feet a huge disadvantage where
long casting is required - they put a lot of strain on the arm and are
less efficient.

Best Regards

Gordon Entwistle
November 2nd, 2004, 12:58 AM
I have fished a medium size reservoir for over thirty years and have had
many different rods but the one I have now is the best I have owned. It
casts and handles fish superbly.
It is a 10' 0" size 8 Redington three piece and costs less than £150.
Redington rods are made in the USA and now belong to Sage. They are widely
available in the UK.
Find a dealer and ask to have a test cast.