PDA

View Full Version : fighting a big game fish

Marcel
October 31st, 2004, 11:25 PM
I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?

Sierra fisher
November 1st, 2004, 05:22 AM
There is a line of logic that you should reduce your drag setting as the
fish takes line, but I have never heard of free spooling. As the fish takes
line, there is more pressure put on the tippet becasue of the resistance of
the line in the water. The pressure that you set on your drag combined with
the resistance of the line moving through the water, could exceed the
strength of the tippet. The only thing that you control is the drag
setting.
Also, at least for tarpon, when the fish jumps out of the water, you are
supposed to give slack, but only for a few seconds. You do this by pointing
the rod at the fish, not free spooling.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Marcel" > wrote in message
> I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
> when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
> doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?

Marcel
November 1st, 2004, 06:02 AM
Amazing, you live and learn--- I suppose reduced surface area of spectra
line would lesson this problem......

"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> There is a line of logic that you should reduce your drag setting as the
> fish takes line, but I have never heard of free spooling. As the fish
takes
> line, there is more pressure put on the tippet becasue of the resistance
of
> the line in the water. The pressure that you set on your drag combined
with
> the resistance of the line moving through the water, could exceed the
> strength of the tippet. The only thing that you control is the drag
> setting.
> Also, at least for tarpon, when the fish jumps out of the water, you are
> supposed to give slack, but only for a few seconds. You do this by
pointing
> the rod at the fish, not free spooling.
>
> --

> "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
> There is a solution!"
>
> Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
> The most powerful anti-spam software available.
> http://mail.spaminspector.com
>

> "Marcel" > wrote in message
> > I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
> > when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
> > doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?

John
November 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
"Marcel" > wrote in message >...
> I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
> when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
> doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?

I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
mechanical advantage you have. Third, the more line out the better the
chance of breaking the line simply due to the resistance the line
itself creates as it moves through the water if the fish turns and
creates a bow in the line. Forth, the longer the fight, the better the
chances the fish will escape.

I have seen people back off on the drag, but, to me, it's a mistake if
your drag is working properly and it's set properly.

The only time I back off on the drag is when the wire man has the
leader in his hand.

daytripper
November 1st, 2004, 09:14 PM
On 1 Nov 2004 09:24:02 -0800, (John) wrote:

>"Marcel" > wrote in message >...
>> I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
>> when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
>> doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?
>
>I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
>off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
>line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
>mechanical advantage you have.
[snipped]

If you are using the term to describe leverage, the less full the spool the
higher the "mechanical advantage"...

daytripper
November 1st, 2004, 09:14 PM
On 1 Nov 2004 09:24:02 -0800, (John) wrote:

>"Marcel" > wrote in message >...
>> I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
>> when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
>> doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?
>
>I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
>off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
>line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
>mechanical advantage you have.
[snipped]

If you are using the term to describe leverage, the less full the spool the
higher the "mechanical advantage"...

John
November 3rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
daytripper > wrote in message >...
> On 1 Nov 2004 09:24:02 -0800, (John) wrote:
>
> >"Marcel" > wrote in message >...
> >> I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
> >> when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
> >> doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?
> >
> >I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
> >off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
> >line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
> >mechanical advantage you have.
> [snipped]
>
> If you are using the term to describe leverage, the less full the spool the
> higher the "mechanical advantage"...

I used the wrong term here. The more line on the spool the larger the
diameter of the spool and line. Each crank of the reel will bring in
more line on a full spool, as compared to an empty one. As you pump
the rod, and reel in on the down stroke, you will gain line much
faster with a spool that has more line on it.

John
November 3rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
daytripper > wrote in message >...
> On 1 Nov 2004 09:24:02 -0800, (John) wrote:
>
> >"Marcel" > wrote in message >...
> >> I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
> >> when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
> >> doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?
> >
> >I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
> >off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
> >line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
> >mechanical advantage you have.
> [snipped]
>
> If you are using the term to describe leverage, the less full the spool the
> higher the "mechanical advantage"...

I used the wrong term here. The more line on the spool the larger the
diameter of the spool and line. Each crank of the reel will bring in
more line on a full spool, as compared to an empty one. As you pump
the rod, and reel in on the down stroke, you will gain line much
faster with a spool that has more line on it.

Sierra fisher
November 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM
The less line on the spool, the greater the drag. On fly rods you can
start with a spool of line 4 " in diameter and you set your drag. As the
is taken by the fish, the effective diameter of the reel decreases, and on a
fly line it can decrease to as little as one inch, depending on the arbor
size. Yet the amount of work to turn the reel remains the same, and must be
done over a shorter distance. Ergo, the drag has to increase.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"John" > wrote in message
om...
> daytripper > wrote in message

> > >I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
> > >off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
> > >line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
> > >mechanical advantage you have.
> > [snipped]
> >
> > If you are using the term to describe leverage, the less full the spool
the
> > higher the "mechanical advantage"...
>
> I used the wrong term here. The more line on the spool the larger the
> diameter of the spool and line. Each crank of the reel will bring in
> more line on a full spool, as compared to an empty one. As you pump
> the rod, and reel in on the down stroke, you will gain line much
> faster with a spool that has more line on it.

Sierra fisher
November 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM
The less line on the spool, the greater the drag. On fly rods you can
start with a spool of line 4 " in diameter and you set your drag. As the
is taken by the fish, the effective diameter of the reel decreases, and on a
fly line it can decrease to as little as one inch, depending on the arbor
size. Yet the amount of work to turn the reel remains the same, and must be
done over a shorter distance. Ergo, the drag has to increase.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"John" > wrote in message
om...
> daytripper > wrote in message

> > >I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
> > >off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
> > >line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
> > >mechanical advantage you have.
> > [snipped]
> >
> > If you are using the term to describe leverage, the less full the spool
the
> > higher the "mechanical advantage"...
>
> I used the wrong term here. The more line on the spool the larger the
> diameter of the spool and line. Each crank of the reel will bring in
> more line on a full spool, as compared to an empty one. As you pump
> the rod, and reel in on the down stroke, you will gain line much
> faster with a spool that has more line on it.

Sierra fisher
November 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Yes, the thinner the line the less the resistance

"Marcel" > wrote in message
> Amazing, you live and learn--- I suppose reduced surface area of spectra
> line would lesson this problem......
>

> "Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> > There is a line of logic that you should reduce your drag setting as
the
> > fish takes line, but I have never heard of free spooling. As the fish
> takes
> > line, there is more pressure put on the tippet becasue of the resistance
> of
> > the line in the water. The pressure that you set on your drag combined
> with
> > the resistance of the line moving through the water, could exceed the
> > strength of the tippet. The only thing that you control is the drag
> > setting.
> > Also, at least for tarpon, when the fish jumps out of the water, you are
> > supposed to give slack, but only for a few seconds. You do this by
> pointing
> > the rod at the fish, not free spooling.
> >
> > --

> > "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
> > There is a solution!"
> >
> > Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
> > The most powerful anti-spam software available.
> > http://mail.spaminspector.com
> >

> > "Marcel" > wrote in message
> > > I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
> > > when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
> > > doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?

Cliff
November 4th, 2004, 11:27 PM
The most important thing is to always have another large rod and reel with
hundreds of yards of heavy dacron line handy. When your other reel runs out
of line, just clip it onto the big rod's line and throw it over the side and
continue
fighting.

The next most important thing is to always have a really sharp gaff handy, in

case you get the monster back to the boat.

You never know when a big marlin may be lurking just beyond those mackerel
you are catching. I never do, that's why I have more fish stories than fish!

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Cliff
November 4th, 2004, 11:27 PM
The most important thing is to always have another large rod and reel with
hundreds of yards of heavy dacron line handy. When your other reel runs out
of line, just clip it onto the big rod's line and throw it over the side and
continue
fighting.

The next most important thing is to always have a really sharp gaff handy, in

case you get the monster back to the boat.

You never know when a big marlin may be lurking just beyond those mackerel
you are catching. I never do, that's why I have more fish stories than fish!

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

John
November 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM
(Cliff) wrote in message >...
> The most important thing is to always have another large rod and reel with
> hundreds of yards of heavy dacron line handy. When your other reel runs out
> of line, just clip it onto the big rod's line and throw it over the side and
> continue
> fighting.
>
> The next most important thing is to always have a really sharp gaff handy, in
>
> case you get the monster back to the boat.
>
> You never know when a big marlin may be lurking just beyond those mackerel
> you are catching. I never do, that's why I have more fish stories than fish!
>
> Regards,
> Cliff
>

> Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
me, no way.

John
November 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM
(Cliff) wrote in message >...
> The most important thing is to always have another large rod and reel with
> hundreds of yards of heavy dacron line handy. When your other reel runs out
> of line, just clip it onto the big rod's line and throw it over the side and
> continue
> fighting.
>
> The next most important thing is to always have a really sharp gaff handy, in
>
> case you get the monster back to the boat.
>
> You never know when a big marlin may be lurking just beyond those mackerel
> you are catching. I never do, that's why I have more fish stories than fish!
>
> Regards,
> Cliff
>

> Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
me, no way.

Jacob Reverb
November 12th, 2004, 03:04 AM
In > Marcel wrote:

> I suppose reduced surface area of spectra
> line would lesson this problem......

yes but it also introduces the problem of having no stretch in the line
to act as a "shock absorber," as you have with mono

Lee D
November 17th, 2004, 07:57 PM
"John" wrote

> I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
> the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
> throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
> to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
> their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
> again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
> me, no way.

I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so they
don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
lost.

Lee D

Cliff
November 17th, 2004, 11:43 PM
In article >, "Lee D"
> writes:

>Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
>lost.

I have a few of those Penn Senator rigs, and like them a lot. But when
you consider that it takes me at least 150 gallons of red diesel at $2.05
a gallon to go anywhere, I'll throw them poles over the side all day if I
think I can catch anything.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Calif Bill
November 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM
"Lee D" > wrote in message
> "John" wrote
> >
> > I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
> > the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
> > throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
> > to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
> > their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
> > again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
> > me, no way.
>
> I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so
they
> don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
> lost.
>
> Lee D

They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.

Calif Bill
November 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM
"Lee D" > wrote in message
> "John" wrote
> >
> > I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
> > the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
> > throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
> > to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
> > their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
> > again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
> > me, no way.
>
> I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so
they
> don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
> lost.
>
> Lee D

They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.

John
November 23rd, 2004, 05:31 PM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message et>...
> "Lee D" > wrote in message
> > "John" wrote
> > >
> > > I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
> > > the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
> > > throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
> > > to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
> > > their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
> > > again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
> > > me, no way.
> >
> > I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so
> they
> > don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
> > lost.
> >
> > Lee D
> >

> They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
> blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.

A blueprinted reel! Has someone got you suckered. This sounds like a
West coast thing. I've never heard of this on the East coast. Our
reels work just fine right out of the box.

John
November 23rd, 2004, 05:31 PM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message et>...
> "Lee D" > wrote in message
> > "John" wrote
> > >
> > > I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
> > > the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
> > > throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
> > > to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
> > > their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
> > > again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
> > > me, no way.
> >
> > I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so
> they
> > don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
> > lost.
> >
> > Lee D
> >

> They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
> blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.

A blueprinted reel! Has someone got you suckered. This sounds like a
West coast thing. I've never heard of this on the East coast. Our
reels work just fine right out of the box.

Fred L Adams
November 23rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
"John" > wrote in message
om...
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> et>...
>> "Lee D" > wrote in message
>> > "John" wrote

>> > I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so
>> they
>> > don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that
>> > they
>> > lost.
>> >
>> > Lee D
>> >

>> They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
>> blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.
>
> A blueprinted reel! Has someone got you suckered. This sounds like a
> West coast thing. I've never heard of this on the East coast. Our
> reels work just fine right out of the box.

Oh yeh, just try flylining a sardine on 80 or 100 # line with one of the old
Penns.

Fred Adams

Fred L Adams
November 23rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
"John" > wrote in message
om...
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> et>...
>> "Lee D" > wrote in message
>> > "John" wrote

>> > I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so
>> they
>> > don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that
>> > they
>> > lost.
>> >
>> > Lee D
>> >

>> They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
>> blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.
>
> A blueprinted reel! Has someone got you suckered. This sounds like a
> West coast thing. I've never heard of this on the East coast. Our
> reels work just fine right out of the box.

Oh yeh, just try flylining a sardine on 80 or 100 # line with one of the old
Penns.

Fred Adams

Lee D
November 24th, 2004, 05:31 AM
"Cliff" wrote
> In article >, "Lee D"
> > writes:
>
>>Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
>>lost.
>
> I have a few of those Penn Senator rigs, and like them a lot. But when
> you consider that it takes me at least 150 gallons of red diesel at $2.05
> a gallon to go anywhere, I'll throw them poles over the side all day if I
> think I can catch anything.
>
> Regards,
> Cliff

I have a Senator rig myself and love it. I can fix just about anything that
goes wrong (odd occurrence) with the thing in a few minutes. I also have
some old Penn Longbeach reels that I like. I have better reels, but I
really like the old ones for some reason. I think it's because they are the
first reels I started working on when I was a kid.

Lee D

Calif Bill
November 24th, 2004, 06:01 AM
You must only troll big lures. Try doing standup fishing with that big old
Penn, and fly line a small sardine, or medium anchovie. Better bearings,
everything in line, and better drags. You can fish heavier braid on smaller
reels. Even Accurate frame, etc. to keep everything in line. Try landing a
100# tuna on a standard reel with 40# line. He will even 2 speed a smaller
single speed. Look up Cal Sheets. A Chevy engine out of the box works
well, but you want to go fast and last, you blueprint the engine. Same with
reels.
Bill

"John" > wrote in message
om...
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
et>...
> > "Lee D" > wrote in message
> > > "John" wrote

> > > I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig,
so
> > they
> > > don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that
they
> > > lost.
> > >
> > > Lee D
> > >

> > They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
> > blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.
>
> A blueprinted reel! Has someone got you suckered. This sounds like a
> West coast thing. I've never heard of this on the East coast. Our
> reels work just fine right out of the box.

John
November 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message et>...
> You must only troll big lures. Try doing standup fishing with that big old
> Penn, and fly line a small sardine, or medium anchovie. Better bearings,
> everything in line, and better drags. You can fish heavier braid on smaller
> reels. Even Accurate frame, etc. to keep everything in line. Try landing a
> 100# tuna on a standard reel with 40# line. He will even 2 speed a smaller
> single speed. Look up Cal Sheets. A Chevy engine out of the box works
> well, but you want to go fast and last, you blueprint the engine. Same with
> reels.
> Bill
>

> "John" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
> et>...

> of
> up
> it
> not

> so
> they
> they

> > > They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
> > > blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.
> >
> > A blueprinted reel! Has someone got you suckered. This sounds like a
> > West coast thing. I've never heard of this on the East coast. Our
> > reels work just fine right out of the box.

Sorry guy's, but we've been using stand up rods on the east coast with
Internationals since the 80's. On everything from Blue Marlin to
Bluefins, with both light and heavy line. A Bluefin of 100 pounds is a
little guy here in the fall, no one wants them. Their all on standup
gear, 200 pounders are nice ones, they get a lot bigger than that. I
do admitt that my back prefers the big guns for the big guys in the
chair, hey, I've got to go to work on Monday morning. Most of us that
have been fishing for a while have made the mistake of buying an
expensive reel from a small manufacturer, or one made in the far east.
And we got screwed when the small manufacturer went belly up, or the
"Made in Japan" reel went out of production, along with the spare
parts. The lesson we learned, stick with Penn, their reels work, their
easy to keep in good working order, parts are available anywhere, and
they last forever. My International 50's that I bought in the early 80
still work great, they've had line as light as 40 lb test, and as
heavy as 80 lb test. I've got 50's, 70's, 80's and 130's, when your
running your own boat, rather than fishing from someone else's, or on
a long range boat, you need a full compliment of rods and reels. It
gets very expensive if you find out that they don't make parts for
those reels anymore. All the large Japanese reel manufacturers
discontinue parts after a reel goes out of production. For you it's
probably not a problem, how many expensive reels do you need? I've got
13 (five 50's, four 70's, two 80's and two 130's), do the math, that's
a lot of money. I need reels that are going to do the job, are
versitile, and be with me for a long time.

Calif Bill
December 2nd, 2004, 06:40 AM
But do you cast a small pinhead anchovie with those big 2 speeds?

"John" > wrote in message
om...
> "Calif Bill" > wrote in message
et>...
> [...]
> easy to keep in good working order, parts are available anywhere, and
> they last forever. My International 50's that I bought in the early 80
> still work great, they've had line as light as 40 lb test, and as
> heavy as 80 lb test. I've got 50's, 70's, 80's and 130's, when your
> running your own boat, rather than fishing from someone else's, or on
> a long range boat, you need a full compliment of rods and reels. It
> gets very expensive if you find out that they don't make parts for
> those reels anymore. All the large Japanese reel manufacturers
> discontinue parts after a reel goes out of production. For you it's
> probably not a problem, how many expensive reels do you need? I've got
> 13 (five 50's, four 70's, two 80's and two 130's), do the math, that's
> a lot of money. I need reels that are going to do the job, are
> versitile, and be with me for a long time.

December 2nd, 2004, 05:29 PM
"Calif Bill" > wrote in message . net>...
> But do you cast a small pinhead anchovie with those big 2 speeds?

Never had a reason to cast a bait from a large rod and reel. You might
have to on a long range boat, but not from a private boat on the east
coast. When we have to let out a live bait we put the rod in a holder,
pull some line from the tip, toss the bait out, then pull line from
the tip to slowly let the bait back. Our fish here, for the most part,
don't stay up on top for long, our off shore waters are warm in the
summer (70's) and cooler in the fall (60's to 50's), the fish tend to
pop up quickly, then head back to cooler water. We set up on top of
schools that we mark on the recorder, then send baits back/down to
them. Our fish can be very sensitive to how the bait drifts or swims.
If it looks funny, they may not touch it. Fish feeding on the surface
are generally not as concerned about presentation, it's every fish for
it's self. A large reel that can be used to cast a lite bait would be
of very little use here.