PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 11/1/04

Capt Gene Kelly
November 1st, 2004, 03:58 PM
11/1/04

For various reasons, I was unable to post a report for a couple of weeks
now. However, that doesn't mean that the fishing has come to an end. Wind
has been the major topic over the last two weeks, with almost an entire week
lost. By last Monday, things had settled down a bit, but it's blowing again
now and the forecast for on and off winds for this week.

The weekend of Oct 23-24 was Freddies Tackle Shops annual striped bass
tournament. Friday night the fishing was pretty good, although not for large
fish. It was so good in fact that a couple of guys had fish that they didn't
bother weighing in because they felt that they wouldn't stand up. WRONG! The
fishing fell apart for the rest of the weekend. The winning fish weighed in
at 38.5 lbs, caught by Gary Stephens, with second place claimed by Kale
Fisher with a 12.7 lbs fish.

Gonefishing Marina hosted a striped bass tournament this past weekend, one
of a number of contests run by the American Striper Association with
sponsorship by Mercury outboards, Loadmaster Trailers, Penn Reels, Salt
Water Sportsman and others. This tournament is modeled after the freshwater
bass tournaments and southern kingfish tournaments, with the participants
coming from all over the place. A couple of weeks back one was held in
Manasquan NJ, and couple of boats, including the winner, made the 110 mile
run to Montauk. The standing are as follows;

1st Place - Bill Gavin from Westerly RI - 54.02 lbs

2nd Place - Skip Strizlinger from Point Judith RI - 41.15 lbs

3rd Place - John Ellis from Old Saybrook CT - 31.80 lbs

4th Place - Chuck Arnold from Reedvill VA - 31.65 lbs

5th Place - Chris Hill from NJ - 18.1 lbs

The Locals surfishing contest standings right now are as follows;

Mens Standard Division

Gary Stevens - 38.42 lbs

Stuart Heath - 26.44 lbs

Matt Vega - 24.90 lbs

Wetsuit Division

Fred Kalkstein - 36.12 lbs

Youth

Alyssa Eurell - 13.40 lbs

Xen Angelidis - 13.04 lbs

Hayden Ward - 8.70 lbs

Kids

Bobby Carmen - 13.3 lbs

Hank Lackner - 12.10 lbs

Carl Grimm - 11.20 lbs

Ladies

Joanna Greenwood - 13.60 lbs

Cheryl Lackner - 11.20 lbs

The MBCA's October bass tournament is underway, and the leaderboard right
now is as follows;

HALFBACK - Jouh Allen - 54.1 lbs

VENTURE - Paul Steiger - 50.3 lbs

VENTURE - Chris Kurz - 48.5 lbs

In the weekly portion of this tournament, Roy Bharrat, fishing on the WINDY,
took $450 for his 28.9 lb fish . Chris & Paul Kurz, fishing on the VENTURE
had bass weighing 48.5 & 42.5 lbs, but they never ponied up the $15 entry
fee. I guess it's a case of Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda!

For more information about this tournament, go to
http://www.montauksportfishing.com/BassTournament.htm

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

Capt Gene Kelly

Montauk Sportfishing

--