PDA

View Full Version : Christmas pressies for fisherman?

Rachael Reynolds
November 2nd, 2004, 10:07 PM
Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
Thanks
Rachael

laxhill
November 3rd, 2004, 04:58 AM
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:07:55 +0000 (UTC), "Rachael Reynolds"
> wrote:

>Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
>like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>Thanks
>Rachael

Hi Rachael
Difficult without knowing the type of fishing he does - if he already
has "everything" have a look at sites like
http://www.gifts4fishing.co.uk/ for a few ideas. If you don't mind the
gift voucher route then many firms do these. A "google" search on the
lines of "fishhing tackle gift voucher" will throw up lots.
Something quirky might fit the bill for someone with everything but
£100 is a lot to throw at something quirky. You could get quite a
serious piece of kit for that amount. A small digital camera to record
the catches on etc.
Keith

laxhill
November 3rd, 2004, 04:58 AM
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:07:55 +0000 (UTC), "Rachael Reynolds"
> wrote:

>Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
>like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>Thanks
>Rachael

Hi Rachael
Difficult without knowing the type of fishing he does - if he already
has "everything" have a look at sites like
http://www.gifts4fishing.co.uk/ for a few ideas. If you don't mind the
gift voucher route then many firms do these. A "google" search on the
lines of "fishhing tackle gift voucher" will throw up lots.
Something quirky might fit the bill for someone with everything but
£100 is a lot to throw at something quirky. You could get quite a
serious piece of kit for that amount. A small digital camera to record
the catches on etc.
Keith

Sandy Birrell
November 3rd, 2004, 09:03 AM
laxhill wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:07:55 +0000 (UTC), "Rachael Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already
>> might like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>> Thanks
>> Rachael

A season ticket to his favourite fishing place? Or even two and go with him
:)

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Nogood Boyo
November 3rd, 2004, 10:12 PM
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 at 22:07:55 in uk.rec.fishing.game Rachael Reynolds
wrote:
>Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
>like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>Thanks
>Rachael

A good book... Eg, a nice facsimile of the first edition of The
Compleat Angler...

If he ties flies, a nicely presented collection of fur from a few of
your friends...

--
Nogood Boyo

Rachael Reynolds
November 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
"Nogood Boyo" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 at 22:07:55 in uk.rec.fishing.game Rachael Reynolds
> wrote:
>>Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
>>like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>>Thanks
>>Rachael
>>
> A good book... Eg, a nice facsimile of the first edition of The Compleat
> Angler...
>
> If he ties flies, a nicely presented collection of fur from a few of your
> friends...
>
> --
> Nogood Boyo

Ah, that last bit looks interesting. What and in what quantities would I
actually need?
Ta
Rachael

Nogood Boyo
November 4th, 2004, 12:27 PM
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 at 23:11:03 in uk.rec.fishing.game Rachael Reynolds
wrote:

>"Nogood Boyo" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 at 22:07:55 in uk.rec.fishing.game Rachael Reynolds
>> wrote:
>>>Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
>>>like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>>>Thanks
>>>Rachael
>>>
>> A good book... Eg, a nice facsimile of the first edition of The Compleat
>> Angler...
>>
>> If he ties flies, a nicely presented collection of fur from a few of your
>> friends...
>>

>Ah, that last bit looks interesting. What and in what quantities would I
>actually need?
>Ta
>Rachael

Modest quantities of female fluff. As many different natural colours as
you can obtain. The best colour I've got is strawberry blonde - it
glistens like gold. Keep 'em all separate - preferably in small
sealable bags (say 2" x 2" reasonably well stuffed), labelled with the
source, of course. Fibres don't need to be long as they'll be "dubbed"
on to the silk and wound around the hook like this (steps 3, 6 and 8)

http://www.whitingfarms.com/forumseptember2004.htm

so there's still growing time before Xmas if necessary.

One of the attractions is that female pheromones attract big male
fish...

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1092&id=415012004

But there are other attractions as well, of course - it's a wonderful
material to work with and it's a good topic of conversation.

A biologist pal of mine tells me that underarm fur is the best source of
pheromone. It also has the added attraction of being less common.

And if your friends have got a bit of mink or something in the wardrobe
that they no longer use, small patches of that would probably be
acceptable as well...

--
Nogood Boyo

W. D. Grey
November 5th, 2004, 05:34 PM
In article >, Nogood Boyo
> writes
>If he ties flies, a nicely presented collection of fur from a few of
>your friends...
;-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
November 5th, 2004, 05:34 PM
In article >, Nogood Boyo
> writes
>If he ties flies, a nicely presented collection of fur from a few of
>your friends...
;-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Derek
November 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM
"Rachael Reynolds" > wrote in message
> Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
> like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
> Thanks
> Rachael

How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without one
(eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
Derek

---

Derek
November 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM
"Rachael Reynolds" > wrote in message
> Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
> like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
> Thanks
> Rachael

How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without one
(eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
Derek

---

Derek
November 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM
"Rachael Reynolds" > wrote in message
> Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
> like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
> Thanks
> Rachael

How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without one
(eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
Derek

---

ali-p
November 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM
"Derek" > wrote in message

> "Rachael Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already
>> might
>> like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>> Thanks
>> Rachael
>>
> How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without
> one
> (eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
> difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
> deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
> Derek

if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying an
offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...

shame about the world we live in today !!!

ali-p
November 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM
"Derek" > wrote in message

> "Rachael Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already
>> might
>> like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
>> Thanks
>> Rachael
>>
> How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without
> one
> (eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
> difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
> deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
> Derek

if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying an
offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...

shame about the world we live in today !!!

GasMan
November 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM
ali-p wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message
>

> if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying an
> offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...
>
> shame about the world we live in today !!!

I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border
or only when I reach the Ayr region?

Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific
change in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will
supply a reference.

Regards

GasMan

GasMan
November 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM
ali-p wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message
>

> if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying an
> offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...
>
> shame about the world we live in today !!!

I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border
or only when I reach the Ayr region?

Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific
change in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will
supply a reference.

Regards

GasMan

ali-p
November 13th, 2004, 10:38 PM
"GasMan" > wrote in message
> ali-p wrote:
>> "Derek" > wrote in message
>>

>> if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying
>> an offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...
>>
>> shame about the world we live in today !!!
>>

> I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
> fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
> that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border or
> only when I reach the Ayr region?
>
> Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific change
> in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will supply a
> reference.
>
> Regards
>
> GasMan

being an ex matelot, where knives were the tools of my trade, I quite often
flaunt this Strathclyde Police decision of zero tolerance with knives, on
the understanding that I will do no wrong and therefor wont we stopped and
searched by the police.
I am sure that if the knives are kept within a tackle bag and not on display
and not being waved around with the cry of "C'mon ya Bassas", you should be
ok in your visit to Scotland.

ali-p

GasMan
November 14th, 2004, 11:04 AM
ali-p wrote:
> "GasMan" > wrote in message
>
>>ali-p wrote:
>>
>>>"Derek" > wrote in message
>>>

>>>if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying
>>>an offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...
>>>
>>>shame about the world we live in today !!!
>>>

>>I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
>>fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
>>that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border or
>>only when I reach the Ayr region?
>>
>>Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific change
>>in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will supply a
>>reference.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>GasMan
>

> being an ex matelot, where knives were the tools of my trade, I quite often
> flaunt this Strathclyde Police decision of zero tolerance with knives, on
> the understanding that I will do no wrong and therefor wont we stopped and
> searched by the police.
> I am sure that if the knives are kept within a tackle bag and not on display
> and not being waved around with the cry of "C'mon ya Bassas", you should be
> ok in your visit to Scotland.
>
> ali-p

Ali

I appreciate the reply - my response was basically an attack on the
undermining of civil liberties.

We regularly here about zero-tolerance for this, that and thee other but
rarely does it seem to be based on the law.

My understanding of the carrying of an offensive weapon eg a knife is
that there are two classes of offensive weapon ie a sword stick or some
other type of 'weapon' are an offensive weapon per se. However a kitchen
knife, lino knife or chefs knife etc (what the man on the Clapham
Omnibus would describe as tools) and hence have to be proven to be
intended to be used as an offensive weapon IYSWIM.
IANAL but did, several years ago sit as a jury member on such a case. In
our case the brief tried to get his man off the O W charge as he was a
carpet fitter and it was a tool of his trade - at 11.00 pm outside a pub?
Therefore my belief is that they (the police) have no right to
confiscate(steal) someone elses property unless it is clearly stated in
the relevant Act of Parliament that they are allowed to do so.

GasMan

GasMan
November 14th, 2004, 11:04 AM
ali-p wrote:
> "GasMan" > wrote in message
>
>>ali-p wrote:
>>
>>>"Derek" > wrote in message
>>>

>>>if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying
>>>an offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...
>>>
>>>shame about the world we live in today !!!
>>>

>>I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
>>fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
>>that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border or
>>only when I reach the Ayr region?
>>
>>Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific change
>>in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will supply a
>>reference.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>GasMan
>

> being an ex matelot, where knives were the tools of my trade, I quite often
> flaunt this Strathclyde Police decision of zero tolerance with knives, on
> the understanding that I will do no wrong and therefor wont we stopped and
> searched by the police.
> I am sure that if the knives are kept within a tackle bag and not on display
> and not being waved around with the cry of "C'mon ya Bassas", you should be
> ok in your visit to Scotland.
>
> ali-p

Ali

I appreciate the reply - my response was basically an attack on the
undermining of civil liberties.

We regularly here about zero-tolerance for this, that and thee other but
rarely does it seem to be based on the law.

My understanding of the carrying of an offensive weapon eg a knife is
that there are two classes of offensive weapon ie a sword stick or some
other type of 'weapon' are an offensive weapon per se. However a kitchen
knife, lino knife or chefs knife etc (what the man on the Clapham
Omnibus would describe as tools) and hence have to be proven to be
intended to be used as an offensive weapon IYSWIM.
IANAL but did, several years ago sit as a jury member on such a case. In
our case the brief tried to get his man off the O W charge as he was a
carpet fitter and it was a tool of his trade - at 11.00 pm outside a pub?
Therefore my belief is that they (the police) have no right to
confiscate(steal) someone elses property unless it is clearly stated in
the relevant Act of Parliament that they are allowed to do so.

GasMan

Derek.Moody
November 14th, 2004, 07:42 PM
In article >, W. D. Grey
> wrote:

> A youngster going to a disco carrying a 10 inch chef's knife isn't
> carrying it to trim his finger nails!

Though it gets complicated when a young chef carrying his knife-roll home
after serving a dinner-dance at the Town Hall drops into his local for a
well deserved pint before they close...

I suppose John Major's initiative banning articles that had no-other use
than as weapons but not those which have any legitimate use is about as far
as you can safely go with black and white lawmaking.

Cheerio,

--

Derek.Moody
November 14th, 2004, 07:42 PM
In article >, W. D. Grey
> wrote:

> A youngster going to a disco carrying a 10 inch chef's knife isn't
> carrying it to trim his finger nails!

Though it gets complicated when a young chef carrying his knife-roll home
after serving a dinner-dance at the Town Hall drops into his local for a
well deserved pint before they close...

I suppose John Major's initiative banning articles that had no-other use
than as weapons but not those which have any legitimate use is about as far
as you can safely go with black and white lawmaking.

Cheerio,

--

suspicious minds
November 14th, 2004, 08:05 PM
"GasMan" > wrote in message
> ali-p wrote:
>> "Derek" > wrote in message
>>

>> if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying
>> an offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...
>>
>> shame about the world we live in today !!!
>>

> I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
> fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
> that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border or
> only when I reach the Ayr region?
>
> Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific change
> in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will supply a
> reference.
>
> Regards
>
> GasMan
No you would not be arrested see Section1(3),(4) below

Carrying of Knives etc. (Scotland) Act 1993 (c. 13)
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1993/Ukpga_19930013_en_1.htm
Offence of having in public place article with blade or point.

1.-(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person
who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place
shall be guilty of an offence and liable-
(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding
six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both; and
(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not
exceeding two years or a fine or both.
(2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any
article which has a blade or is sharply pointed.

(3) This section does not apply to a folding pocketknife if the
cutting edge of its blade does not exceed three inches.

(4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence
under subsection (1) above to prove that he had good reason or lawful
authority for having the article with him in the public place.

(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above,
it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection
(1) above to prove that he had the article with him-
(a) for use at work;
(b) for religious reasons; or
(c) as part of any national costume.
(6) Where a person is convicted of an offence under subsection (1)
above the court may make an order for the forfeiture of any article to which
the offence relates, and any article forfeited under this subsection shall
(subject to section 443A of the [1975 c. 21.] Criminal Procedure (Scotland)
Act 1975 (suspension of forfeiture etc, pending appeal)) be disposed of as
the court may direct.

(7) In this section "public place" includes any place to which at
the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on
payment or otherwise

ali-p
November 15th, 2004, 02:06 AM
not too long ago in Ayr a Childrens Magician had his 'Magic Wand'
confiscated because it was deemed an offensive weapon.... this made headline
news so some of you may have heard about it .

maybe they (the powers that be) thought they shouldn't underestimate the
powers of the magician and he would turn the kids into frogs or mice or....

ali-p
"suspicious minds" > wrote in message

> "GasMan" > wrote in message
>> ali-p wrote:
>>> "Derek" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying
>>> an offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...
>>>
>>> shame about the world we live in today !!!
>>>

>> I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
>> fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
>> that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border
>> or only when I reach the Ayr region?
>>
>> Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific change
>> in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will supply a
>> reference.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> GasMan
> No you would not be arrested see Section1(3),(4) below
>

> Carrying of Knives etc. (Scotland) Act 1993 (c. 13)
> http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1993/Ukpga_19930013_en_1.htm
> Offence of having in public place article with blade or point.
>
> 1.-(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person
> who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public
> place shall be guilty of an offence and liable-
> (a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not
> exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or
> both; and
> (b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not
> exceeding two years or a fine or both.
> (2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any
> article which has a blade or is sharply pointed.
>
> (3) This section does not apply to a folding pocketknife if the
> cutting edge of its blade does not exceed three inches.
>
> (4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence
> under subsection (1) above to prove that he had good reason or lawful
> authority for having the article with him in the public place.
>
> (5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above,
> it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under
> subsection (1) above to prove that he had the article with him-
> (a) for use at work;
> (b) for religious reasons; or
> (c) as part of any national costume.
> (6) Where a person is convicted of an offence under subsection
> (1) above the court may make an order for the forfeiture of any article to
> which the offence relates, and any article forfeited under this subsection
> shall (subject to section 443A of the [1975 c. 21.] Criminal Procedure
> (Scotland) Act 1975 (suspension of forfeiture etc, pending appeal)) be
> disposed of as the court may direct.
>
> (7) In this section "public place" includes any place to which at
> the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on
> payment or otherwise

W. D. Grey
November 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
In article >, GasMan
> writes
>>> We regularly here about zero-tolerance for this, that and thee other
>>>but rarely does it seem to be based on the law.
>>>
>>> My understanding of the carrying of an offensive weapon eg a knife
>>>is that there are two classes of offensive weapon ie a sword stick
>>>or some other type of 'weapon' are an offensive weapon per se.
>>>However a kitchen knife, lino knife or chefs knife etc (what the man
>>>on the Clapham Omnibus would describe as tools) and hence have to be
>>>proven to be intended to be used as an offensive weapon IYSWIM.
>> A youngster going to a disco carrying a 10 inch chef's knife isn't
>>carrying it to trim his finger nails!
>N.B. VERY selective snipping.
>>

>And your point is? Did you not read the example given?

Not making a point, just amplifying the one already made.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

W. D. Grey
November 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
In article >, GasMan
> writes
>>> We regularly here about zero-tolerance for this, that and thee other
>>>but rarely does it seem to be based on the law.
>>>
>>> My understanding of the carrying of an offensive weapon eg a knife
>>>is that there are two classes of offensive weapon ie a sword stick
>>>or some other type of 'weapon' are an offensive weapon per se.
>>>However a kitchen knife, lino knife or chefs knife etc (what the man
>>>on the Clapham Omnibus would describe as tools) and hence have to be
>>>proven to be intended to be used as an offensive weapon IYSWIM.
>> A youngster going to a disco carrying a 10 inch chef's knife isn't
>>carrying it to trim his finger nails!
>N.B. VERY selective snipping.
>>

>And your point is? Did you not read the example given?

Not making a point, just amplifying the one already made.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Derek
November 16th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Magicians Wand? Well Ali you have to admit theres always one in every bunch,
but I still stand by my recommendation a swiss army knife is pretty well THE
present any sportsman can find a use for (excepting the thing for getting
boyscouts out of horsehooves or similar) lets pose a question what extra
tool would you want including on your S.A.K.
Derek

---

Derek
November 16th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Magicians Wand? Well Ali you have to admit theres always one in every bunch,
but I still stand by my recommendation a swiss army knife is pretty well THE
present any sportsman can find a use for (excepting the thing for getting
boyscouts out of horsehooves or similar) lets pose a question what extra
tool would you want including on your S.A.K.
Derek

---

ali-p
November 17th, 2004, 02:15 AM
"Derek" > wrote in message

lets pose a question what extra
> tool would you want including on your S.A.K.
> Derek

I would like on mine a petrol lighter (Zippo type thingy)
(That would give the Polis something to rant about -stabbing ,slashing and
setting fire to them!!!!!)
ali-p

Gordon Entwistle
November 17th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Whats wrong with a large bottle or two of Jack Daniels
Cheers
Gordon