PDA

View Full Version : Bit of beach advice???

david
November 8th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I'm falling into what I am sure is a great newcomers trap. After casting
about twenty times with a given lure,and having no bites, I stop, change
lure type and start again .

Is this just rubbish practise? Should i set myself out with one lure type
and cast it for an hour or so?

For the record, I was today on one of the bournemouth beaches at high water
for an hour (all i had) and i tried rapala blue J13, orange shads and a
metal thing that looks like a browny silvery fish. No bites.

I also had a weighted one-hook rig with prawn. No takers either.

Observations??

David

Derek.Moody
November 9th, 2004, 05:44 PM
In article >, david
> wrote:
> I'm falling into what I am sure is a great newcomers trap. After casting
> about twenty times with a given lure,and having no bites, I stop, change
> lure type and start again .
>
> Is this just rubbish practise? Should i set myself out with one lure type
> and cast it for an hour or so?
>
> For the record, I was today on one of the bournemouth beaches at high water
> for an hour (all i had) and i tried rapala blue J13, orange shads and a
> metal thing that looks like a browny silvery fish. No bites.
>
> I also had a weighted one-hook rig with prawn. No takers either.
>
> Observations??

What fish did you see?
What where they doing?
What food was in the water?
Did any of your lures match the food in general shape and action?

The j13 was probably about right.

Mid afternoon along a town beach was probably not and I would expect the
rise to be better than the top of the tide over sand.

Cheerio,

--

david
November 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM
"Derek>
> What fish did you see?
> What where they doing?
> What food was in the water?
> Did any of your lures match the food in general shape and action?
>
> The j13 was probably about right.
>
> Mid afternoon along a town beach was probably not and I would expect the
> rise to be better than the top of the tide over sand.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

david
November 9th, 2004, 08:32 PM

> What fish did you see?
> What where they doing?
> What food was in the water?
> Did any of your lures match the food in general shape and action?
>
> The j13 was probably about right.
>
> Mid afternoon along a town beach was probably not and I would expect the
> rise to be better than the top of the tide over sand.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

Didnt SEE any. Christchurch Angling told me whiting to a decent size had
been taken aplenty. I assumed there'd be late season bass. also, because
of the calm condx, i was hoping thered be flatties...hence my prawn.

David

Derek.Moody
November 9th, 2004, 10:09 PM
In article >, david
> wrote:

> Didnt SEE any. Christchurch Angling told me whiting to a decent size had
> been taken aplenty. I assumed there'd be late season bass. also, because
> of the calm condx, i was hoping thered be flatties...hence my prawn.

If there are bass present off a shallow beach you'll usually see something -
there should be late bass aroud for another month yet unless we get some
ccccold weather.

Flatties? Maybe, though a live prawn is more of a bass bait. The flounders
should be starting to build up round in Poole harbour by now - anyone got up
to date news?

Cheerio,

--

Luis Troyano
November 10th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Hi
why don't you just fish with a 2 hook rig and an anchor 5oz weight with some
Mackeral, Squid or Worm on it.

You'll catch ALOT more fish than casting lures constantly.

Luis

"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, david
> > wrote:
>
>> Didnt SEE any. Christchurch Angling told me whiting to a decent size had
>> been taken aplenty. I assumed there'd be late season bass. also,
>> because
>> of the calm condx, i was hoping thered be flatties...hence my prawn.
>
> If there are bass present off a shallow beach you'll usually see
> something -
> there should be late bass aroud for another month yet unless we get some
> ccccold weather.
>
> Flatties? Maybe, though a live prawn is more of a bass bait. The
> flounders
> should be starting to build up round in Poole harbour by now - anyone got
> up
> to date news?
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

david
November 11th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Luis, why? because I never thought of it or heard it done! I shall try it
now you have mentioned it though.

Thanks.

David
"Luis Troyano" > wrote in message
> Hi
> why don't you just fish with a 2 hook rig and an anchor 5oz weight with
> some Mackeral, Squid or Worm on it.
>
> You'll catch ALOT more fish than casting lures constantly.
>
> Luis
>
> "Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
>> In article >, david
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Didnt SEE any. Christchurch Angling told me whiting to a decent size
>>> had
>>> been taken aplenty. I assumed there'd be late season bass. also,
>>> because
>>> of the calm condx, i was hoping thered be flatties...hence my prawn.
>>
>> If there are bass present off a shallow beach you'll usually see
>> something -
>> there should be late bass aroud for another month yet unless we get some
>> ccccold weather.
>>
>> Flatties? Maybe, though a live prawn is more of a bass bait. The
>> flounders
>> should be starting to build up round in Poole harbour by now - anyone got
>> up
>> to date news?
>>
>> Cheerio,
>>
>> --

fantom
November 11th, 2004, 09:27 PM
"david" > wrote in message
> Luis, why? because I never thought of it or heard it done! I shall try it
> now you have mentioned it though.
>
> Thanks.
>
> David
> "Luis Troyano" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>> why don't you just fish with a 2 hook rig and an anchor 5oz weight with
>> some Mackeral, Squid or Worm on it.
>>
>> You'll catch ALOT more fish than casting lures constantly.
>>
>> Luis

I havent been fishing that long but personally have had alot more success
using above mentioned bait rather than lures, Switch to squid or ragworm and
im sure u will get plenty more catches. Try it out.

fantom
November 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM
"Davy Holt" wrote in message

> Not quite so, there are plenty of times that Lures will out fish static
> baits, depending on your target species. Lures can be very effective fish
> catching devices, when used in the right conditions and by someone that
> knows what they are doing. It's also a lot more fun and sporting than
> lobbing 5oz weights out on converted telegraph poles ;)
> --
> Davy Holt *** The Scottish Angling Homepage ***

Ok, This indicates i dont know what i am doing with lures hehe, gonna do a
bit of a read up on were to use and what to use and give it ago.

Anyone in same boat as me, looking for tips on lure fishing from shore, try
this link http://www.worldseafishing.com/tackle/

Derek.Moody
November 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM
In article >, Luis Troyano
> wrote:
> Hi
> why don't you just fish with a 2 hook rig and an anchor 5oz weight with some
> Mackeral, Squid or Worm on it.
>
> You'll catch ALOT more fish than casting lures constantly.

Maybe. Though I find it rather a chore cranking in all that line to find out
whether a three inch pout has hung itself on.

In general in the areas David is fishing a moving bait - lure, floatfished,
flounder spoon or at least twitched over the bottom on a light lead will
outfish a static bait (except maybe for soles, dogfish and eels) until
winter storms colour the water and for a little while even then.

I saw bass, scad and pollock taken on lures last night all fish between 3/4
and 3lb. I spent most of the evening wading for a larger bass but although
I saw a couple I couldn't interest them :-(

Cheerio,

--

Derek.Moody
November 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM
In article >, Luis Troyano
> wrote:
> Hi
> why don't you just fish with a 2 hook rig and an anchor 5oz weight with some
> Mackeral, Squid or Worm on it.
>
> You'll catch ALOT more fish than casting lures constantly.

Maybe. Though I find it rather a chore cranking in all that line to find out
whether a three inch pout has hung itself on.

In general in the areas David is fishing a moving bait - lure, floatfished,
flounder spoon or at least twitched over the bottom on a light lead will
outfish a static bait (except maybe for soles, dogfish and eels) until
winter storms colour the water and for a little while even then.

I saw bass, scad and pollock taken on lures last night all fish between 3/4
and 3lb. I spent most of the evening wading for a larger bass but although
I saw a couple I couldn't interest them :-(

Cheerio,

--

david
November 12th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Well as luck would have it I have to spend the whole dy next tuesday in
poole, got important appointments first thing and last thing, not worth
coming home, so guyess I'll be trying all sorts of things off the beaches
there.

Wheres the best marks in poole (well, the best that anyone will tell me in
so public an arena?)? Baiter is a good poole mark isnt it?