PDA

View Full Version : boat fishing with fixed spool reel ?

rob
November 28th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Hi

I noticed that all photos about boat fishing trips show people using
multiplier reels.

is there any reason i cannot use my fixed spool reel which i am used
to , also it would save me buying a multiplier for the occasional boat
trip only.

Derek
November 28th, 2004, 11:27 PM
<rob> wrote in message ...
> Hi
>
> I noticed that all photos about boat fishing trips show people using
> multiplier reels.
>
> is there any reason i cannot use my fixed spool reel which i am used
> to , also it would save me buying a multiplier for the occasional boat
> trip only.

Theres the extra strain with big leads and pumping big fish up from the
depths but if you are fishing light tackle it should be ok, we have managed
without damage so far but not hooked into a monster yet...................
Derek

---

SEAANGLING
November 29th, 2004, 04:22 PM
>is there any reason i cannot use my fixed spool reel

It depends what you are fishing for and the weight needed to hold bottom. For
bream, smoothhounds tope etc no problem, conger, skate or deep water and 2 lb
of lead may cause a problem, cheers, Norman.