PDA

View Full Version : Wading for Walleye in the Rain

Bob Colenso
November 28th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Hi all:

I'm new to this NG, and this is my first post here.

I just started targeting walleye last year. I've waded in the Maumee River in
Ohio, and in Lake Erie in SE MIchigan, but with only limited success. I've
heard that where I go in SE Michigan is a great place for wading for walleye
anytime after the time change back to standard time, and from Thanksgiving
until the ice is too thick thick is prime time.

While studying walleye feeding habits and things, I read that they have sensory
organs on their sides that detect vibrations and sounds, and that doing the
kind of fishing that I do (wading chest deep, cast and retrieve) that jointed
lures or lures that rattle work best because they pick up the vibration.

So my question is, does the vibrations in the water caused by the rain mess up
the walleye's ability to home in on food (my lure)? I've had a lot of success
salmon fishing off the boat docks in the rain, but have never targeted walleye
while wading in the rain.

Thanks,
Bob--KD8WU

U of M
GO BLUE!!!

GOD, GUNS, and GUTS
PROTECT AMERICA

Bob La Londe
November 29th, 2003, 03:51 AM
"Bob Colenso" > wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> I'm new to this NG, and this is my first post here.
>
> I just started targeting walleye last year. I've waded in the Maumee
River in
> Ohio, and in Lake Erie in SE MIchigan, but with only limited success.
I've
> heard that where I go in SE Michigan is a great place for wading for
walleye
> anytime after the time change back to standard time, and from Thanksgiving
> until the ice is too thick thick is prime time.
>
> While studying walleye feeding habits and things, I read that they have
sensory
> organs on their sides that detect vibrations and sounds, and that doing
the

I think all fish have a lateral line which is sensitive to vibration in the
water. Some fish are more sensistive than others.

> kind of fishing that I do (wading chest deep, cast and retrieve) that
jointed
> lures or lures that rattle work best because they pick up the vibration.

Makes sense.

> So my question is, does the vibrations in the water caused by the rain
mess up
> the walleye's ability to home in on food (my lure)?

Maybe, but I think you could compensate by using a noiser lure, or one with
more visual flash in those conditions. Maybe a gold metallic crank bait
with a lot of wobble and internal rattles. Also, if you have a soft rain
with low pressure the fishing can sometimes be phenomenal during the rain.
Also, as muddy water runs into the lake look for mud lines int he water for
other fish like smallmouth.

> I've had a lot of success
> salmon fishing off the boat docks in the rain, but have never targeted
walleye
> while wading in the rain.

Don't forget. If there is even the slightest hint of lightning get off the
water.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az