PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sad News: Galyans sold off to...

Don White
November 29th, 2004, 04:11 PM
"Harry Krause" > wrote in message
> Dicks.
>
> Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
> of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
> sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.
>
> And the devolution continues...

Wonder if they went overboard on that new 'planet sized' store in Algonquin
IL?

Don White
November 29th, 2004, 04:11 PM
"Harry Krause" > wrote in message
> Dicks.
>
> Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
> of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
> sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.
>
> And the devolution continues...

Wonder if they went overboard on that new 'planet sized' store in Algonquin
IL?

Doug Kanter
November 29th, 2004, 05:09 PM
"Harry Krause" > wrote in message
> Dicks.
>
> Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
> of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
> sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.
>
> And the devolution continues...
>

> --
> A passing thought:
>
> "So community colleges are accessible, they're available, they're
> affordable, and their curriculums don't get stuck. In other words, if
> there's a need for a certain kind of worker, I presume your curriculums
> evolved over time." —George W. Bush, Niceville, Fla., Aug. 10, 2004

Try Gander Mountain, if you have one nearby. If they continue growing,
they'll bury Dick's and everyone else. Great store.

Doug Kanter
November 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM
"Harry Krause" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:
> > "Harry Krause" > wrote in message
> >> Dicks.
> >>
> >> Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
> >> of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
> >> sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.
> >>
> >> And the devolution continues...
> >>

> >> --
> >> A passing thought:
> >>
> >> "So community colleges are accessible, they're available, they're
> >> affordable, and their curriculums don't get stuck. In other words, if
> >> there's a need for a certain kind of worker, I presume your curriculums
> >> evolved over time." —George W. Bush, Niceville, Fla., Aug. 10, 2004
> >
> > Try Gander Mountain, if you have one nearby. If they continue growing,
> > they'll bury Dick's and everyone else. Great store.
> >

> I get most of my fishing gear locally, from small shops, but I buy
> sports clothing at places like Galyans and Bass Pro Shops. We have a
> Bass Pro about 50 miles from here, just south of Baltimore. It's always
> worth the trip. Bass Pro has great in-store clothing sales.

The first Bass Pro catalog I saw had (among a million other things) plain
cotton vests for guys who needed a place to wear all their fishing patches.
It showed a guy in one of these vests covered with patches from Zebco, Penn,
Mister Twister, etc. You've gotta have one serious identity problem to want
to be covered with manufacturers' patches, although I guess it's not much
different than people who walk around in t-shirts with "Tommy Hilfiger" in
5" high lettering, or Yves St Laurent purses.

Good catalog, though. :-)

Doug Kanter
November 29th, 2004, 05:43 PM
"Harry Krause" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:

> >> I get most of my fishing gear locally, from small shops, but I buy
> >> sports clothing at places like Galyans and Bass Pro Shops. We have a
> >> Bass Pro about 50 miles from here, just south of Baltimore. It's always
> >> worth the trip. Bass Pro has great in-store clothing sales.
> >
> > The first Bass Pro catalog I saw had (among a million other things)
plain
> > cotton vests for guys who needed a place to wear all their fishing
patches.
> > It showed a guy in one of these vests covered with patches from Zebco,
Penn,
> > Mister Twister, etc. You've gotta have one serious identity problem to
want
> > to be covered with manufacturers' patches, although I guess it's not
much
> > different than people who walk around in t-shirts with "Tommy Hilfiger"
in
> > 5" high lettering, or Yves St Laurent purses.
> >
> > Good catalog, though. :-)
> >

> My "fishing" dress consists of clothes far too raggy to wear doing
> anything else, except, perhaps, cleaning out the mower deck on my little
> tractor. Old, ripped tee-shirts, frayed shorts, three-season-old
> sandals, et cetera. Except, of course, when I'm fly-fishing in fresh
> water...then I dress up.

No Harry...don't do it - no dressing up just because there might be some
Trout Unlimited fellows on the stream!

Doug Kanter
November 29th, 2004, 08:47 PM
"Harry Krause" > wrote in message

> >> My "fishing" dress consists of clothes far too raggy to wear doing
> >> anything else, except, perhaps, cleaning out the mower deck on my
little
> >> tractor. Old, ripped tee-shirts, frayed shorts, three-season-old
> >> sandals, et cetera. Except, of course, when I'm fly-fishing in fresh
> >> water...then I dress up.
> >
> > No Harry...don't do it - no dressing up just because there might be some
> > Trout Unlimited fellows on the stream!
> >

> I dress up because the fish expect it.

My friend Tom lives near a local stream that's popular with the TU crowd. In
the past, he's gotten lectures about how his Mepps spinners are murder on
the trout because they swallow them, unlike the way they sort of get
lip-hooked on a fly. It never mattered to the lecturers when Tom showed them
that he uses MUCH bigger spinners than would be considered appropriate for
small trout, specifically so they could not swallow the lure. And, he
removes the treble hooks, replaces them with singles, and files off most of
the barb. Still, he got lectured.

Back in September, he put on as much blaze orange clothing as he had in his
closet and wandered all around the stream where some of the TU characters
were handing out. He got a lecture about how the fish would be spooked by
the red color blah blah blah. He caught more than they did. :-)

Cliff
November 30th, 2004, 12:04 AM
As I grow older, it's sad to see some of the old stores gone after fifty years
of service. Wal*Mart just doesn't have some of the heavier fishing tackle I
usually want.

I have been shopping at West Marine for fishing equipment the last few years.
They have the bigger tackle I need, and are only two blocks from the marina.

Sometimes I guess it is just me. I still get angry when stores don't have all
the parts for my 1955 Chevrolet, or proper coot training equipment.

http://members.aol.com/beakycoot

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Bert Robbins
November 30th, 2004, 01:35 AM
"Harry Krause" > wrote in message
> Dicks.
>
> Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
> of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
> sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.
>
> And the devolution continues...

You are a day late and a dollar short, this is old news.

trainfan1
November 30th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Bert Robbins wrote:

> "Harry Krause" > wrote in message
>
>>Dicks.
>>
>>Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
>>of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
>>sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.
>>
>>And the devolution continues...
>

> You are a day late and a dollar short, this is old news.

I was going to say... why all the excitement... this was news almost two
seasons ago!

Rob

JimH
November 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
"trainfan1" > wrote in message
> Bert Robbins wrote:
>
>> "Harry Krause" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Dicks.
>>>
>>>Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
>>>of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
>>>sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.
>>>
>>>And the devolution continues...
>>

>> You are a day late and a dollar short, this is old news.
>
> I was going to say... why all the excitement... this was news almost two
> seasons ago!
>
> Rob

That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!

Don White
November 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM
"JimH" > wrote in message >
> That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!

What are you...Bert's parrot?
Did you ever have an original idea?

Don White
November 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM

"JimH" > wrote in message >
> That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!

What are you...Bert's parrot?
Did you ever have an original idea?

JimH
November 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM
"Don White" > wrote in message

> "JimH" > wrote in message >
>> That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!
>>

> What are you...Bert's parrot?
> Did you ever have an original idea?

Every time I post how stupid you are.

JimH
November 30th, 2004, 07:38 PM
"Don White" > wrote in message

> "JimH" > wrote in message >
>> That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!
>>

> What are you...Bert's parrot?
> Did you ever have an original idea?

Sorry Don, I did not see Bert's post. What are you, the NG police?

Don White
November 30th, 2004, 09:51 PM
"JimH" > wrote in message

> Sorry Don, I did not see Bert's post. What are you, the NG police?

Naw.. you threw that line at me a while ago..& this case seemed perfect
opportunity to return it.

Don White
November 30th, 2004, 09:51 PM
"JimH" > wrote in message

> Sorry Don, I did not see Bert's post. What are you, the NG police?

Naw.. you threw that line at me a while ago..& this case seemed perfect
opportunity to return it.

JimH
November 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM
"Don White" > wrote in message

> "JimH" > wrote in message
>>

>> Sorry Don, I did not see Bert's post. What are you, the NG police?
>

> Naw.. you threw that line at me a while ago..& this case seemed perfect
> opportunity to return it.

Touché

JimH
November 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM
"Don White" > wrote in message

> "JimH" > wrote in message
>>

>> Sorry Don, I did not see Bert's post. What are you, the NG police?
>

> Naw.. you threw that line at me a while ago..& this case seemed perfect
> opportunity to return it.

Touché

Bert Robbins
December 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM
"Don White" > wrote in message

> "JimH" > wrote in message >
>> That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!
>>

> What are you...Bert's parrot?
> Did you ever have an original idea?

What does Harry's colon look like Don?

Bert Robbins
December 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM
"Don White" > wrote in message

> "JimH" > wrote in message >
>> That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!
>>

> What are you...Bert's parrot?
> Did you ever have an original idea?

What does Harry's colon look like Don?

Don White
December 1st, 2004, 12:49 AM
"Bert Robbins" > wrote in message

> What does Harry's colon look like Don?

Please keep your fetishes to yourself Bert. My supper hasn't fully settled
yet.

Don White
December 1st, 2004, 12:49 AM
"Bert Robbins" > wrote in message

> What does Harry's colon look like Don?

Please keep your fetishes to yourself Bert. My supper hasn't fully settled
yet.

Don White
December 1st, 2004, 02:17 AM
"Bert Robbins" > wrote in message

> What does Harry's colon look like Don?

Please keep your fetishes to yourself Bert. My supper hasn't fully settled
yet.

Lee D
December 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM
"Cliff" wrote
> As I grow older, it's sad to see some of the old stores gone after fifty
> years
> of service. Wal*Mart just doesn't have some of the heavier fishing tackle
> usually want.
>
> I have been shopping at West Marine for fishing equipment the last few
> years.
> They have the bigger tackle I need, and are only two blocks from the
> marina.

I'm glad to hear that you have a decent West Marine where you live. I wish
the one here was good for something. They have almost no tackle at all and
a very sparse selection of mostly outdated or obsolete electronic marine
equipment. I guess there are just too many decent tackle and sporting goods
stores around here for them to even try to compete.

Lee D

Lee D
December 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM
"Cliff" wrote
> As I grow older, it's sad to see some of the old stores gone after fifty
> years
> of service. Wal*Mart just doesn't have some of the heavier fishing tackle
> usually want.
>
> I have been shopping at West Marine for fishing equipment the last few
> years.
> They have the bigger tackle I need, and are only two blocks from the
> marina.

I'm glad to hear that you have a decent West Marine where you live. I wish
the one here was good for something. They have almost no tackle at all and
a very sparse selection of mostly outdated or obsolete electronic marine
equipment. I guess there are just too many decent tackle and sporting goods
stores around here for them to even try to compete.

Lee D

Lee D
December 1st, 2004, 06:24 AM
"NOYB" wrote
> http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page138.html
> In 1996 it was a public company with about 20 stores and a catalog
> operation. But running both the retail and catalog outlets proved to be
> too much, as did the pressure of opening new stores at a rate to satisfy
> investors, said Todd Rymer, the director of real estate, who has been with
> the company for 14 years. The chain filed for bankruptcy in 1997.
>
> "Everything that you can think of probably contributed to the financial
> troubles," Rymer said.
>
> Gander Mountain's management sold the catalog operation to Sidney,
> Neb.-based competitor Cabela's in 1996 for about $35 million in cash (see
> story). Holiday Cos., a Bloomington, Minn.-based operator of convenience
> stores, bought five of the Gander stores that year and the remainder over
> the next year or so when Gander filed for bankruptcy.
>
> Better things happened to the chain shortly thereafter. Stephen Watson,
> former president of Minneapolis-based Dayton Hudson Corp. (now Target
> Corp.), came on board in 1997 as CEO.

From the looks of all the ammended fillings with the SEC that they had
between 1994 and 1996 ( www.sec.gov ), it looks like they were in trouble
for a while. It kind of looks as if they were trying to hide their
problems, but kept getting caught in their annual audits. I read a little
of one of their filings - they sure knew how to make it seem like they were
doing great... even right up to the bankruptcy.

> All creditors were paid off first...and the remaining money from the
> buyout went to schleps like me. I got about 6 cents per share I think.

That stinks. Gander Mountain is now trading at a little over $13 a share
and was right at twice that about 6 months ago.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GMTN&d=t

Lee D

Lee D
December 1st, 2004, 06:24 AM
"NOYB" wrote
> http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page138.html
> In 1996 it was a public company with about 20 stores and a catalog
> operation. But running both the retail and catalog outlets proved to be
> too much, as did the pressure of opening new stores at a rate to satisfy
> investors, said Todd Rymer, the director of real estate, who has been with
> the company for 14 years. The chain filed for bankruptcy in 1997.
>
> "Everything that you can think of probably contributed to the financial
> troubles," Rymer said.
>
> Gander Mountain's management sold the catalog operation to Sidney,
> Neb.-based competitor Cabela's in 1996 for about $35 million in cash (see
> story). Holiday Cos., a Bloomington, Minn.-based operator of convenience
> stores, bought five of the Gander stores that year and the remainder over
> the next year or so when Gander filed for bankruptcy.
>
> Better things happened to the chain shortly thereafter. Stephen Watson,
> former president of Minneapolis-based Dayton Hudson Corp. (now Target
> Corp.), came on board in 1997 as CEO.

From the looks of all the ammended fillings with the SEC that they had
between 1994 and 1996 ( www.sec.gov ), it looks like they were in trouble
for a while. It kind of looks as if they were trying to hide their
problems, but kept getting caught in their annual audits. I read a little
of one of their filings - they sure knew how to make it seem like they were
doing great... even right up to the bankruptcy.

> All creditors were paid off first...and the remaining money from the
> buyout went to schleps like me. I got about 6 cents per share I think.

That stinks. Gander Mountain is now trading at a little over $13 a share
and was right at twice that about 6 months ago.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GMTN&d=t

Lee D

Cliff
December 1st, 2004, 08:48 AM
In article >, "Lee D"
> writes:

> I wish
>the one here was good for something.

Sorry. My point was that the store here is tiny, but stocks only the
sizes and kinds of equipment that you would want for fishing offshore.
Store employees are often people who live aboard boats here.

Sometimes the manager can get me a special price on stock items.
It's always good to be friendly with the manager since there are all
sorts of "discounts" available. Employees get their own discounts,
and are happy to work there for a few months and load up on equipment
cheap before before traveling on.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Cliff
December 1st, 2004, 08:48 AM
In article >, "Lee D"
> writes:

> I wish
>the one here was good for something.

Sorry. My point was that the store here is tiny, but stocks only the
sizes and kinds of equipment that you would want for fishing offshore.
Store employees are often people who live aboard boats here.

Sometimes the manager can get me a special price on stock items.
It's always good to be friendly with the manager since there are all
sorts of "discounts" available. Employees get their own discounts,
and are happy to work there for a few months and load up on equipment
cheap before before traveling on.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Scott Seidman
December 1st, 2004, 03:54 PM
"NOYB" > wrote in :

> I think Gander Mountain is owned by Cabela's now.

I'm pretty sure Gander is not owned by Cabela's. I think Cabela's bought
Gander's mailing list back when Gander was a catalog shop, but not the
company.

Scott

Scott Seidman
December 1st, 2004, 03:54 PM
"NOYB" > wrote in :

> I think Gander Mountain is owned by Cabela's now.

I'm pretty sure Gander is not owned by Cabela's. I think Cabela's bought
Gander's mailing list back when Gander was a catalog shop, but not the
company.

Scott

NOYB
December 1st, 2004, 07:21 PM
"Lee D" > wrote in message
> "NOYB" wrote
>> http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page138.html
>> In 1996 it was a public company with about 20 stores and a catalog
>> operation. But running both the retail and catalog outlets proved to be
>> too much, as did the pressure of opening new stores at a rate to satisfy
>> investors, said Todd Rymer, the director of real estate, who has been
>> with the company for 14 years. The chain filed for bankruptcy in 1997.
>>
>> "Everything that you can think of probably contributed to the financial
>> troubles," Rymer said.
>>
>> Gander Mountain's management sold the catalog operation to Sidney,
>> Neb.-based competitor Cabela's in 1996 for about $35 million in cash (see
>> story). Holiday Cos., a Bloomington, Minn.-based operator of convenience
>> stores, bought five of the Gander stores that year and the remainder over
>> the next year or so when Gander filed for bankruptcy.
>>
>> Better things happened to the chain shortly thereafter. Stephen Watson,
>> former president of Minneapolis-based Dayton Hudson Corp. (now Target
>> Corp.), came on board in 1997 as CEO.
>

> From the looks of all the ammended fillings with the SEC that they had
> between 1994 and 1996 ( www.sec.gov ), it looks like they were in trouble
> for a while. It kind of looks as if they were trying to hide their
> problems, but kept getting caught in their annual audits. I read a little
> of one of their filings - they sure knew how to make it seem like they
> were doing great... even right up to the bankruptcy.

Sounds like the right attorney could make a solid case against them. They
were cooking the books before cooking the books even became popular. I'm
sure the bankruptcy settlement protects them from the lawsuits however.

>That stinks. Gander Mountain is now trading at a little over $13 a share
>and was right at twice that about 6 months ago.

What can I say? I was a man ahead my time. ;-)

NOYB
December 1st, 2004, 07:21 PM
"Lee D" > wrote in message
> "NOYB" wrote
>> http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page138.html
>> In 1996 it was a public company with about 20 stores and a catalog
>> operation. But running both the retail and catalog outlets proved to be
>> too much, as did the pressure of opening new stores at a rate to satisfy
>> investors, said Todd Rymer, the director of real estate, who has been
>> with the company for 14 years. The chain filed for bankruptcy in 1997.
>>
>> "Everything that you can think of probably contributed to the financial
>> troubles," Rymer said.
>>
>> Gander Mountain's management sold the catalog operation to Sidney,
>> Neb.-based competitor Cabela's in 1996 for about $35 million in cash (see
>> story). Holiday Cos., a Bloomington, Minn.-based operator of convenience
>> stores, bought five of the Gander stores that year and the remainder over
>> the next year or so when Gander filed for bankruptcy.
>>
>> Better things happened to the chain shortly thereafter. Stephen Watson,
>> former president of Minneapolis-based Dayton Hudson Corp. (now Target
>> Corp.), came on board in 1997 as CEO.
>

> From the looks of all the ammended fillings with the SEC that they had
> between 1994 and 1996 ( www.sec.gov ), it looks like they were in trouble
> for a while. It kind of looks as if they were trying to hide their
> problems, but kept getting caught in their annual audits. I read a little
> of one of their filings - they sure knew how to make it seem like they
> were doing great... even right up to the bankruptcy.

Sounds like the right attorney could make a solid case against them. They
were cooking the books before cooking the books even became popular. I'm
sure the bankruptcy settlement protects them from the lawsuits however.

>That stinks. Gander Mountain is now trading at a little over $13 a share
>and was right at twice that about 6 months ago.

What can I say? I was a man ahead my time. ;-)

NOYB
December 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "NOYB" > wrote in :
>

>> I think Gander Mountain is owned by Cabela's now.
>
> I'm pretty sure Gander is not owned by Cabela's. I think Cabela's bought
> Gander's mailing list back when Gander was a catalog shop, but not the
> company.

Cabela's bought the catalog operations for $35 million.

NOYB
December 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "NOYB" > wrote in :
>

>> I think Gander Mountain is owned by Cabela's now.
>
> I'm pretty sure Gander is not owned by Cabela's. I think Cabela's bought
> Gander's mailing list back when Gander was a catalog shop, but not the
> company.

Cabela's bought the catalog operations for $35 million.

Harry Krause
December 2nd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Scott Seidman wrote:
> "NOYB" > wrote in :
>

>>I think Gander Mountain is owned by Cabela's now.
>

> I'm pretty sure Gander is not owned by Cabela's. I think Cabela's bought
> Gander's mailing list back when Gander was a catalog shop, but not the
> company.
>
> Scott

Hmmm. Never run into an operation called Gander Mountain.

Harry Krause
December 2nd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Scott Seidman wrote:
> "NOYB" > wrote in :
>

>>I think Gander Mountain is owned by Cabela's now.
>

> I'm pretty sure Gander is not owned by Cabela's. I think Cabela's bought
> Gander's mailing list back when Gander was a catalog shop, but not the
> company.
>
> Scott

Hmmm. Never run into an operation called Gander Mountain.

Scott Seidman
December 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
"NOYB" > wrote in
k.net:

> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>> "NOYB" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> I think Gander Mountain is owned by Cabela's now.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Gander is not owned by Cabela's. I think Cabela's
>> bought Gander's mailing list back when Gander was a catalog shop, but
>> not the company.
>>

> Cabela's bought the catalog operations for $35 million.

That's definately more accurate than what I've posted. Somehow, though,
Gander ressurected as a brick-and-mortar operation, and the stores we walk
into have no affiliation with Cabela's.

Scott