PDA

View Full Version : Family documents all destroyed.

Peter James
December 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM
My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
death. She had a form of dementia I think.
The point is in order to trace my father's family I have to start from
his birth, for which I have the certificate after tracing him on
FreeBMD. Luckily he was born in February 1901 so he appears on the
census of that year along with his mother and father. Using FreeBMD I
found he also had a brother born in 1902 for whom I can find no death
certificate after that date. My father, to complicate the matter,
changed his name by deed poll in 1941 from his birth name of
Guglielmazzi to James.
So my questions are:-
1. As I can find no trace of his brother under his birth name,
excepting for his birth, and assuming his brother changed his name by
deed poll, how do I proceed from here?
2..In order to check on the possibility of other siblings is there any
alternative to checking the Government Birth/Marriage/Death indexes?
These are available to me at the local Family History Society in
Truro. But if there is a quicker way I would be pleased to hear of
it.
Many thanks.
-
Peter James
Remove AT to reply

P F James

Cliff
December 8th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Obviously he doesn't want you to find him so stop worrying about it & GO
FISHING.

..
"Peter James" > wrote in message
> My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
> death. She had a form of dementia I think.
> The point is in order to trace my father's family I have to start from
> his birth, for which I have the certificate after tracing him on
> FreeBMD. Luckily he was born in February 1901 so he appears on the
> census of that year along with his mother and father. Using FreeBMD I
> found he also had a brother born in 1902 for whom I can find no death
> certificate after that date. My father, to complicate the matter,
> changed his name by deed poll in 1941 from his birth name of
> Guglielmazzi to James.
> So my questions are:-
> 1. As I can find no trace of his brother under his birth name,
> excepting for his birth, and assuming his brother changed his name by
> deed poll, how do I proceed from here?
> 2..In order to check on the possibility of other siblings is there any
> alternative to checking the Government Birth/Marriage/Death indexes?
> These are available to me at the local Family History Society in
> Truro. But if there is a quicker way I would be pleased to hear of
> it.
> Many thanks.
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
>
> P F James

Chris Mitchell
December 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Er.. Other than fishing for info I don't see the link with this group!
"Peter James" > wrote in message
> My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
> death. She had a form of dementia I think.
> The point is in order to trace my father's family I have to start from
> his birth, for which I have the certificate after tracing him on
> FreeBMD. Luckily he was born in February 1901 so he appears on the
> census of that year along with his mother and father. Using FreeBMD I
> found he also had a brother born in 1902 for whom I can find no death
> certificate after that date. My father, to complicate the matter,
> changed his name by deed poll in 1941 from his birth name of
> Guglielmazzi to James.
> So my questions are:-
> 1. As I can find no trace of his brother under his birth name,
> excepting for his birth, and assuming his brother changed his name by
> deed poll, how do I proceed from here?
> 2..In order to check on the possibility of other siblings is there any
> alternative to checking the Government Birth/Marriage/Death indexes?
> These are available to me at the local Family History Society in
> Truro. But if there is a quicker way I would be pleased to hear of
> it.
> Many thanks.
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
>
> P F James

Figment
December 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM
There must be a more appropriate group where you could ask this question.
I can't imagine what sort of bait you need to use to find him, or how far
you'd have to cast.

"Peter James" > wrote in message
> My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
> death. She had a form of dementia I think.
> The point is in order to trace my father's family I have to start from
> his birth, for which I have the certificate after tracing him on
> FreeBMD. Luckily he was born in February 1901 so he appears on the
> census of that year along with his mother and father. Using FreeBMD I
> found he also had a brother born in 1902 for whom I can find no death
> certificate after that date. My father, to complicate the matter,
> changed his name by deed poll in 1941 from his birth name of
> Guglielmazzi to James.
> So my questions are:-
> 1. As I can find no trace of his brother under his birth name,
> excepting for his birth, and assuming his brother changed his name by
> deed poll, how do I proceed from here?
> 2..In order to check on the possibility of other siblings is there any
> alternative to checking the Government Birth/Marriage/Death indexes?
> These are available to me at the local Family History Society in
> Truro. But if there is a quicker way I would be pleased to hear of
> it.
> Many thanks.
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
>
> P F James

Peter James
December 8th, 2004, 07:26 PM
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:45:02 +0000, Peter James
> wrote:

>My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
>death. She had a form of dementia I think.
>snipped
For god's sake I'm sorry. I posted this to the wrong NG. Should have
gone to soc.genealogy.britain.
My apologies.
-
Peter James
Remove AT to reply

P F James

ali-p
December 9th, 2004, 12:05 AM
soc.genealogy.britain - uk.rec.fishing.sea easy mistake to make seeing tas
they do look and sound very similiar

"Peter James" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:45:02 +0000, Peter James
> > wrote:
>
>>My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
>>death. She had a form of dementia I think.
>>snipped
> For god's sake I'm sorry. I posted this to the wrong NG. Should have
> gone to soc.genealogy.britain.
> My apologies.
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
>
> P F James

Cliff
December 9th, 2004, 09:08 AM
We will let you off this time Pete but if it happens again we will have ALL
your relatives struck from the history books.
"ali-p" > wrote in message
> soc.genealogy.britain - uk.rec.fishing.sea easy mistake to make seeing
> tas they do look and sound very similiar
>

> "Peter James" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:45:02 +0000, Peter James
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
>>>death. She had a form of dementia I think.
>>>snipped
>> For god's sake I'm sorry. I posted this to the wrong NG. Should have
>> gone to soc.genealogy.britain.
>> My apologies.
>> -
>> Peter James
>> Remove AT to reply
>>
>> P F James

Peter James
December 9th, 2004, 09:18 AM
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:05:00 -0000, "ali-p"
> wrote:

>soc.genealogy.britain - uk.rec.fishing.sea easy mistake to make seeing tas
>they do look and sound very similiar
I just don't know how that happened. I am subscribed to
uk.rec.fishing.sea and I can only assume that somehow Agent sent the
posting to the incorrect NG. It never did appear on
soc.genealogy.britain until I re-sent it after my mistake was made
obvious. So, once again, "GROVEL GROVEL GROVEL".
-
Peter James
Remove AT to reply

P F James

ali-p
December 10th, 2004, 02:23 AM
as we are a decent bunch in here I'm sure i speak for them all.... We hope
you are successful in your findings but of course that you don't put too
much fishing time into your venyure....
ali-p

"Peter James" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:05:00 -0000, "ali-p"
> > wrote:
>
>>soc.genealogy.britain - uk.rec.fishing.sea easy mistake to make seeing
>>tas
>>they do look and sound very similiar
> I just don't know how that happened. I am subscribed to
> uk.rec.fishing.sea and I can only assume that somehow Agent sent the
> posting to the incorrect NG. It never did appear on
> soc.genealogy.britain until I re-sent it after my mistake was made
> obvious. So, once again, "GROVEL GROVEL GROVEL".
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
>
> P F James

Figment
December 10th, 2004, 04:12 PM
"Peter James" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:45:02 +0000, Peter James
> > wrote:
>
>>My family documents were all destroyed by my mother prior to her
>>death. She had a form of dementia I think.
>>snipped
> For god's sake I'm sorry. I posted this to the wrong NG. Should have
> gone to soc.genealogy.britain.
> My apologies.
> -
> Peter James