PDA

View Full Version : Paying guides and Tipping

December 21st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Does a guide, if he's working alone expect a tip?

I've always tipped the deckhands but not the skipper/guide/rental
outfit.

Sarge
December 21st, 2004, 06:32 PM
> wrote in message: "Does a guide, if he's working
alone expect a tip? I've always tipped the deckhands but not the
skipper/guide/rental outfit."

If the guide works for an outfit do you tip him?

I charter fish several times a year. Some of the guides and captains work
for someone else and do not own their own boat or equipment. I personally
tip every trip. I use some of the same charter services several times in a
year. I believe tipping makes them remember you and work extra hard to
ensure you are happy. I not saying that I never had one work hard to put me
on fish but tipping seems to get better service on your next trip.

Sarge

Sarge
December 21st, 2004, 06:32 PM
> wrote in message: "Does a guide, if he's working
alone expect a tip? I've always tipped the deckhands but not the
skipper/guide/rental outfit."

If the guide works for an outfit do you tip him?

I charter fish several times a year. Some of the guides and captains work
for someone else and do not own their own boat or equipment. I personally
tip every trip. I use some of the same charter services several times in a
year. I believe tipping makes them remember you and work extra hard to
ensure you are happy. I not saying that I never had one work hard to put me
on fish but tipping seems to get better service on your next trip.

Sarge

December 21st, 2004, 10:11 PM
Yes, I've been using guides lately that own their own business - boats,
website, set their prices, etc. On a Kona trip the captain asked if
their were enough capable strong bodies in my party to handle a large
fish. He decided *not* to hire a deck hand - who I would have tipped.

Cliff
December 21st, 2004, 11:09 PM
I never tipped the guy at the fuel dock, even though he gives me a good
discount on the hundreds of gallons of diesel I use each month. I just
tie up the boat myself, pull the hose myself to fill the tanks, and put
everything
back when I'm done, and stay out of his way.
Last summer he told me some information on where the yellowtail were,
that put me onto a mess of good fish. Now I give him tips all the time.
The money doesn't matter to me, it's the fishing that counts.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Calif Bill
December 21st, 2004, 11:53 PM
I fish with freshwater bassguides in some of my travels. I tip most of the
time. If they give a good trip they deserve a tip. On party / head boats,
I tip the deckhand and cook or if they share the tips, I just tip the person
that is handling the money.
Bill

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does a guide, if he's working alone expect a tip?
>
> I've always tipped the deckhands but not the skipper/guide/rental
> outfit.

Lee D
December 22nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
> wrote
> Yes, I've been using guides lately that own their own business - boats,
> website, set their prices, etc. On a Kona trip the captain asked if
> their were enough capable strong bodies in my party to handle a large
> fish. He decided *not* to hire a deck hand - who I would have tipped.

If the price stayed the same when he decided to not hire a deck hand, then
he is already tipping himself. If the trip will be cheaper because of it,
then you might consider that. Either way, if the service is good, I would
tip.

Lee D