PDA

View Full Version : best waders??

steve sullivan
December 1st, 2003, 02:31 AM
What is the difference between the simms gortex bootfoot waders and the
simms g3 guide stockingfoot waders?

Right now I have red ball non breathable bootfoots. I want to get the
most comfortable warm waders possible. What is the reason for the g3's
not being bootfoots? I have never worn stockingfoots, what is the
difference between stockingfoot and bootfoot practically speaking and
comfortwise?

What are other waders that are gortex and comparable in quality?

Bill Kiene
December 1st, 2003, 03:15 AM
Hi Steve,

First, boot foot waders are not popular for fly fishing in streams because
they don't hold your foot in place while you walk and don't offer any ankle
support.

They are great for coastal winter steelheading where you more gravel or at
Pyramid Lake in Nevada in the winter where you don't walk much either.

They are very hard to fit properly. First, you need to get the right body
size, then the inseam length and then the boot size. After that you custom
order them. Then if the customer doesn't like them (for any reason), you are
stuck with them.

These are some of the reasons why you won't see breathable boot foot waders
much except in catalogs.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"steve sullivan" > wrote in message

> What is the difference between the simms gortex bootfoot waders and the
> simms g3 guide stockingfoot waders?
>
> Right now I have red ball non breathable bootfoots. I want to get the
> most comfortable warm waders possible. What is the reason for the g3's
> not being bootfoots? I have never worn stockingfoots, what is the
> difference between stockingfoot and bootfoot practically speaking and
> comfortwise?
>
> What are other waders that are gortex and comparable in quality?

Yuji Sakuma
December 1st, 2003, 12:12 PM
You make some good points Bill.

One additional thing. I have never used bootfoot chest waders but I did use
bootfoot hippers for years because they were quicker and more convenient to
put on and take off than stocking foots for low water summer fishing on my
local streams. However, I found that they were very vulnerable to failure
at the joint between the leg and boot. I found this to be true for all
makes that I tried over the years including Red Ball, Hodgman, Nokia and
Orvis. As you pointed out in a previous post, with the advent of breathable
chest waders, there is little incentive to use waist highs or hippers these
days. I now use breathable stocking foot chest waders all season long.

Yuji Sakuma

"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
. com...
> Hi Steve,
>
> Bill Kiene
>
> Kiene's Fly Shop
> Sacramento, CA
> www.kiene.com

Bill Kiene
December 1st, 2003, 04:30 PM
Hi Yuji,

In the high end, Simms boot foot would hold up better than any thing else.

Where do you fish?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Yuji Sakuma" > wrote in message
> You make some good points Bill.
>
> One additional thing. I have never used bootfoot chest waders but I did
use
> bootfoot hippers for years because they were quicker and more convenient
> put on and take off than stocking foots for low water summer fishing on my
> local streams. However, I found that they were very vulnerable to failure
> at the joint between the leg and boot. I found this to be true for all
> makes that I tried over the years including Red Ball, Hodgman, Nokia and
> Orvis. As you pointed out in a previous post, with the advent of
breathable
> chest waders, there is little incentive to use waist highs or hippers
these
> days. I now use breathable stocking foot chest waders all season long.
>
> Yuji Sakuma
>
> ================================================== ========
> "Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > Bill Kiene
> >
> > Kiene's Fly Shop
> > Sacramento, CA
> > www.kiene.com

Yuji Sakuma
December 1st, 2003, 11:01 PM
If I could find a pair of bootfoot hippers that I can trust (I have given
up), I might be inclined to buy them because of the way I sometimes fish. I
sometimes drive to different spots on a river and maybe fish more than one
river in a day. I can switch between sandals and hippers in seconds. The
alternative is to drive in chest waders (not so safe) or put up with the
bother of getting into and out of them and lacing/unlacing boots.

To answer your question, I do almost all of my trout and bass fishing within
2 hours of Toronto.

Best regards,

Yuji Sakuma

=
"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Yuji,
>
> In the high end, Simms boot foot would hold up better than any thing
else.

> Where do you fish?
>
> --
> Bill Kiene
>
> Kiene's Fly Shop
> Sacramento, CA
> www.kiene.com

Yuji Sakuma
December 2nd, 2003, 06:13 PM
Hello Greg,

I think maybe less safe but not necessarily unsafe. I do drive in my waders
occasionally. In my case at least, my wading boots are significantly bigger
than my street shoes and I drive a vehicle which requires operating a clutch
pedal as well as a brake and accelerator. I remember in 1964 when I went
shopping for my first car after graduating from university, I looked at a
Lotus Seven. There were a number of reasons why I did not buy it, one of
which was that the footwell was so narrow that my two feet covered the three
pedals. I could not operate the clutch without fouling the accelerator and
vice-versa. My current car of course is not that bad.

Best regards,

Yuji Sakuma

"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:01:51 -0500, "Yuji Sakuma" >
> wrote:
>
> What is unsafe about driving in waders ?

Yuji Sakuma
December 2nd, 2003, 07:42 PM
Correction: "I could not operate the clutch without fouling the
accelerator.." should have read "I could not operate the clutch without
fouling the brake.." I also could not operate the accelerator without
fouling the brake. Other things I remember about the Seven was that the
seat was about 50% too narrow and the car did not have a heater.

Yuji

----
"Yuji Sakuma" > wrote in message
> Hello Greg,
>
> I think maybe less safe but not necessarily unsafe. I do drive in my
waders
> occasionally. In my case at least, my wading boots are significantly
bigger
> than my street shoes and I drive a vehicle which requires operating a
clutch
> pedal as well as a brake and accelerator. I remember in 1964 when I went
> shopping for my first car after graduating from university, I looked at a
> Lotus Seven. There were a number of reasons why I did not buy it, one of
> which was that the footwell was so narrow that my two feet covered the
three
> pedals. I could not operate the clutch without fouling the accelerator
and
> vice-versa. My current car of course is not that bad.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yuji Sakuma

Willi
December 2nd, 2003, 09:01 PM
Yuji Sakuma wrote:

> Hello Greg,
>
> I think maybe less safe but not necessarily unsafe. I do drive in my waders
> occasionally. In my case at least, my wading boots are significantly bigger
> than my street shoes and I drive a vehicle which requires operating a clutch
> pedal as well as a brake and accelerator. I remember in 1964 when I went
> shopping for my first car after graduating from university, I looked at a
> Lotus Seven. There were a number of reasons why I did not buy it, one of
> which was that the footwell was so narrow that my two feet covered the three
> pedals. I could not operate the clutch without fouling the accelerator and
> vice-versa. My current car of course is not that bad.

I drive a truck with a stick in my waders all the time, but I have
little feet. ( I know, I know little feet little.......)

Willi

Kevin Vang
December 2nd, 2003, 11:11 PM
In article >,
says...

> I drive a truck with a stick in my waders all the time, but I have
> little feet. ( I know, I know little feet little.......)

So is that why you have that stick in your waders?

Kevin,
size 13

Wolfgang
December 2nd, 2003, 11:14 PM
"Kevin Vang" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > I drive a truck with a stick in my waders all the time, but I have
> > little feet. ( I know, I know little feet little.......)
>

> So is that why you have that stick in your waders?
>
> Kevin,
> size 13

FWIW, I agree with Warren. It was a ****ed up thing to say, however you
want to interpret it.

Wolfgang

daytripper
December 3rd, 2003, 12:09 AM
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:14:10 -0600, "Wolfgang" > wrote:

>"Kevin Vang" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> says...
>> >
>> > I drive a truck with a stick in my waders all the time, but I have
>> > little feet. ( I know, I know little feet little.......)
>>

>> So is that why you have that stick in your waders?
>>
>> Kevin,
>> size 13
>
>FWIW, I agree with Warren. It was a ****ed up thing to say, however you
>want to interpret it.
>
>Wolfgang

LOL

/daytripper (oh ****, here we go again!)

Willi
December 3rd, 2003, 01:32 AM
Kevin Vang wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>
>>I drive a truck with a stick in my waders all the time, but I have
>>little feet. ( I know, I know little feet little.......)
>

> So is that why you have that stick in your waders?
>
> Kevin,
> size 13

We all do the best we can with we we have.

Willi

rb608
December 3rd, 2003, 02:59 AM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> What is unsafe about driving in waders ?

Beats me. Heck, I drive in Korkers & never thought it was a problem.

Joe F.

steve sullivan
December 3rd, 2003, 11:05 AM
In article >,
Willi > wrote:

> I drive a truck with a stick in my waders all the time, but I have
> little feet. ( I know, I know little feet little.......Willi

OH willi? I never knew that