PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing in PA

Steve_R
December 30th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Hello,

Even though it's winter I find my self thinking about Fly fishing. I
was just wondering if there any other Fisherman in the suburbs of
Philadelphia.

I fish at Valley Forge, and sometimes at the little lehigh.

Anyone else in this general area fish these streams. I am looking for
some others to fish with this year..

Thanks

Take the no_spam off of my email address to e-mail me.

--

biggchef
January 24th, 2005, 04:19 AM

"Steve_R" > wrote in message
news:291220041927387105%no_spam_stevenroach@comcas t.net...

> Hello,
>
> Even though it's winter I find my self thinking about Fly fishing. I
> was just wondering if there any other Fisherman in the suburbs of
> Philadelphia.
>
> I fish at Valley Forge, and sometimes at the little lehigh.
>
> Anyone else in this general area fish these streams. I am looking for
> some others to fish with this year..
>
> Thanks
>
> Take the no_spam off of my email address to e-mail me.
>
> --

lestrout
January 25th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Steve_R wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Even though it's winter I find my self thinking about Fly fishing. I
> was just wondering if there any other Fisherman in the suburbs of
> Philadelphia.
>
> I fish at Valley Forge, and sometimes at the little lehigh.
>
> Anyone else in this general area fish these streams. I am looking for
> some others to fish with this year..
>
> Thanks
>
> Take the no_spam off of my email address to e-mail me.
>
> --

lestrout
January 25th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Steve - welcome to one of the best urban areas to fly fish, not only
the noble trouts but also warm water (sunnier, bass, carp) and shad (in
season). If you don't mind a little drive, there's quite a bit of salt
water fly fishing.
Now which side of Philly are you? Tis a largish metro area and traffic
tends to steer quickie excursions in a direction away from the city
itself. I myself am West, out in Chester County, 20 min away from half
a dozen trouty spots.

Have you considered tying up with a Trout Unlimited, such as the Valley
Forge Chapter (meets up in Exton-Lionville) or Main Line Fly Tiers
(meets in Plymouth Meeting)? Members of these groups are always
looking for new members, especially if they pay dues. And at least
some of them are pretty sharing. Many of us/them also trip up to
Central PA, the Great Lakes (steelies in season), Catskills and out to
the Rockies and other farther away places.

tl
les

FiZeR
January 30th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Les,

Thanks for the reply. I live near Plymouth Meetin, I will look up Trout
Unlimited up and Main Line. Thanks for the info.

Where woyld you recommend Salt Fly fishing, sounds interesting.

Do you belong to one of them? do you ever get up to the Buck County
Area?

In article om>,
lestrout > wrote:

> Steve - welcome to one of the best urban areas to fly fish, not only
> the noble trouts but also warm water (sunnier, bass, carp) and shad (in
> season). If you don't mind a little drive, there's quite a bit of salt
> water fly fishing.
> Now which side of Philly are you? Tis a largish metro area and traffic
> tends to steer quickie excursions in a direction away from the city
> itself. I myself am West, out in Chester County, 20 min away from half
> a dozen trouty spots.
>
> Have you considered tying up with a Trout Unlimited, such as the Valley
> Forge Chapter (meets up in Exton-Lionville) or Main Line Fly Tiers
> (meets in Plymouth Meeting)? Members of these groups are always
> looking for new members, especially if they pay dues. And at least
> some of them are pretty sharing. Many of us/them also trip up to
> Central PA, the Great Lakes (steelies in season), Catskills and out to
> the Rockies and other farther away places.
>
> tl
> les

lestrout
January 31st, 2005, 09:06 PM
FiZeR - sorry for the delay here - was out of town over the weekend.

Yes - I regularly attend the VF TU and sometimes Main Line Fly Tiers.
In March, the VFTU has a "Bash" over at the Valley Forge Middle School,
which features a big name speaker and a large bunch of anglers with
cabin fever. You ought to come and meet the folks.

Salt Water - I myself don't do this, but you are less than a couple of
hours away from the Jersey shore with multiple opportunities. The
members of the groups can fill you in.

As for Bucks, I tend to go to Lehigh County when I have to drive an
hour or so - fishing is better and easier to get to - for me.
Sometimes I visit the shops in Bucks, though - Bob Selb has a new one
with lots of toys.

tl
les

FiZeR
February 1st, 2005, 01:11 AM
> Yes - I regularly attend the VF TU and sometimes Main Line Fly Tiers.
> In March, the VFTU has a "Bash" over at the Valley Forge Middle School,
> which features a big name speaker and a large bunch of anglers with
> cabin fever. You ought to come and meet the folks.
Les,

I'll make it a point to make it out to this one. Thanks.

> Salt Water - I myself don't do this, but you are less than a couple of
> hours away from the Jersey shore with multiple opportunities. The
> members of the groups can fill you in.
I used to save my trips to the shore for Surf fishing (non-fly fishing)
maybe this year I'll give it a try.

> As for Bucks, I tend to go to Lehigh County when I have to drive an
> hour or so - fishing is better and easier to get to - for me.
> Sometimes I visit the shops in Bucks, though - Bob Selb has a new one
> with lots of toys.

Is that the little Lehigh your talking about, not bad for me about 40
minutes up 309 for me.

FiZeR
March 8th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Les,

Are you heading down to the fly fishing show in Ft. Washington this
weekend?

I am going to check it out and see if I can run in to any of the local
fly fishing clubs.

In article om>,
lestrout > wrote:

> FiZeR - sorry for the delay here - was out of town over the weekend.
>
> Yes - I regularly attend the VF TU and sometimes Main Line Fly Tiers.
> In March, the VFTU has a "Bash" over at the Valley Forge Middle School,
> which features a big name speaker and a large bunch of anglers with
> cabin fever. You ought to come and meet the folks.
>
> Salt Water - I myself don't do this, but you are less than a couple of
> hours away from the Jersey shore with multiple opportunities. The
> members of the groups can fill you in.
>
> As for Bucks, I tend to go to Lehigh County when I have to drive an
> hour or so - fishing is better and easier to get to - for me.
> Sometimes I visit the shops in Bucks, though - Bob Selb has a new one
> with lots of toys.
>
> tl
> les

lestrout
March 8th, 2005, 06:37 PM
FiZ - yup, Ft.Wash is a go for me this weekend. Still have toys to see
and toys to procure. Most likely Sunday.

I'll introduce you around. The Valley Forge TU chapter and maybe Main
Line Fly Tiers, and possibly the NJ Salt Water club ought to have
booths. You can use me as a reference, though that is unnecessary if
they can see you as a prospective member. But anyone who has seen the
light and is a supporter of the cause is welcome.

Yesterday was so nice (62=BA here) that I took a cane from Oregon and
educated 7 trouts, who were starting to chew on early black stones.
Too bad winter's come back for the next 2 weeks, since I think the
stones haven't peaked yet. By the time the weather gets halfway
decent, they may be done till next year. On the other hand, I don't
think too many anglers will be smartening the trouts up, so maybe I'll
try to test the waters again soon.

Yes - re a previous note, the Lil Lehigh is one of my favorite spots.
Unfortunately, it's also a favorite of a million Keystoners,
Joiyseyites and New Yawkers. But the trouts outnumber the anglers, and
the buggies outnumber the trouts. All year round, the Lil Lehi is as
reliable for catching as it gets. Or at least, you can watch the
trouts laugh at your flies.

send me (lestrout) a EMail and I'll send you my cell so we can get in
touch. I'm on AOL. =20

tl
les

FiZeR
March 9th, 2005, 02:33 AM
> FiZ - yup, Ft.Wash is a go for me this weekend. Still have toys to see
> and toys to procure. Most likely Sunday.
Ohh boy, Wife has a wedding shower and I am home with kids. I might
have to sneak down Saturday. Let me see what I can do.

> I'll introduce you around. The Valley Forge TU chapter and maybe Main
> Line Fly Tiers, and possibly the NJ Salt Water club ought to have
> booths. You can use me as a reference, though that is unnecessary if
> they can see you as a prospective member. But anyone who has seen the
> light and is a supporter of the cause is welcome.
That would be great, that is if I can get down there Sunday..

> Yesterday was so nice (62º here) that I took a cane from Oregon and
> educated 7 trouts, who were starting to chew on early black stones.
> Too bad winter's come back for the next 2 weeks, since I think the
> stones haven't peaked yet. By the time the weather gets halfway
> decent, they may be done till next year. On the other hand, I don't
> think too many anglers will be smartening the trouts up, so maybe I'll
> try to test the waters again soon.
Sunday and Monday both had me dreaming of casting... Today wasn't so
nice! down right cold.

> Yes - re a previous note, the Lil Lehigh is one of my favorite spots.
> Unfortunately, it's also a favorite of a million Keystoners,
> Joiyseyites and New Yawkers. But the trouts outnumber the anglers, and
> the buggies outnumber the trouts. All year round, the Lil Lehi is as
> reliable for catching as it gets. Or at least, you can watch the
> trouts laugh at your flies.
I had plenty sit and laugh at my flies.. so much I am like a stand up
comedian for the the trout.

> send me (lestrout) a EMail and I'll send you my cell so we can get in
> touch. I'm on AOL.

A e-mail is on it's way with my contact info..

Thanks..

April 10th, 2005, 10:53 AM
wrote:
> Ohh boy, Wife has a wedding shower and I am home with kids. I might
> have to sneak down Saturday. Let me see what I can do.
> That would be great, that is if I can get down there Sunday..
> Sunday and Monday both had me dreaming of casting... Today wasn't so
> nice! down right cold.
> I had plenty sit and laugh at my flies.. so much I am like a stand up
> comedian for the the trout.
> A e-mail is on it's way with my contact info..
> Thanks..

Thanks!