PDA

View Full Version : Circle hooks

Roddytoo
January 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Hi
Are they best for downtide or uptide, or both? Have never used them,
opinions please.
Thanks
Chris

Derek.Moody
January 6th, 2005, 12:00 AM
In article >, Roddytoo
> wrote:
> Hi
> Are they best for downtide or uptide, or both? Have never used them,

They're designed for longlining when the fish must hook itself.

I have tried them but not for very long and the results were inconclusive.
I would like to try them again in flattie sizes though...

Cheerio,

--

malcolm
January 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM
"Roddytoo" > wrote in message
> Hi
> Are they best for downtide or uptide, or both? Have never used them,
> opinions please.
> Thanks
> Chris

I never used them in the UK,
but been using them here for Pike and Bass fishing,
they work well, almost all the fish hook themselves in the corner of the
jaws,
so minimal damage to the fish, easy to release them too.
regards malcolm

PS make your own by bending fine wire Aberdeens with a pair of needle
pliers.
http://www.geocities.com/malc_hurn/diy_circlehook.JPG

Chris Mitchell
January 9th, 2005, 06:33 AM
I gave seen them used successfully downtide for fast biting black bream.

Given the way they are designed to work I would think they would be well
suited to any species that hits and runs.
"Roddytoo" > wrote in message
> Hi
> Are they best for downtide or uptide, or both? Have never used them,
> opinions please.
> Thanks
> Chris

barry.saunders7
January 9th, 2005, 07:32 PM
i have been using the mustad circles for a while now down tide better
cleaner hook ups on most fish even with the dreaded dogfish ..
"Roddytoo" > wrote in message
> Hi
> Are they best for downtide or uptide, or both? Have never used them,
> opinions please.
> Thanks
> Chris

Davy Holt
January 9th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Hiya,

barry.saunders7 wrote:
> i have been using the mustad circles for a while now down tide better
> cleaner hook ups on most fish even with the dreaded dogfish ..
> "Roddytoo" > wrote in message

With Circle hooks you are almost guarenteed lip hooked fish every time,
the only drawback is the are species & size selective.

However with a bit of effort in honing your angling skills you can get
the same lip hooking results with normal "J" hooks and still catch the
fish that you would have missed because you are using circle hooks :)

So when there are so few fish about, why restrict yourself to catching
only a few of them???

George Lee
February 28th, 2005, 10:31 PM
On 5/1/05 6:00 am, in article , "Roddytoo"
> wrote:

> Hi
> Are they best for downtide or uptide, or both? Have never used them,
> opinions please.
> Thanks
> Chris

I think they work fine for both. I have used them in Norway for the deep
fjord work and also on off beaches, (a dry land uptiding) and caught ok.
Can't say that they were superior to other hook patterns though.

(:-)