PDA

View Full Version : Re: sal****er fly fishing

fantom
January 28th, 2005, 11:44 PM

>> Great, ill try the main beach first light, dont fancy trying chesil at
>> all,
>> i personally dont feel confident enuff to fish it in waders. Thanks for
>> the
>> info, much appreciated :)
>
> Looking back, the first fly caught bass of the year always seems to come
> around april from either the Bowleaze - Osmington area or Portland Harbour
> north shore. There will be pollock and gar off the Bill rocks before then
> but that's not suitable for beginning flyfishing (*BIG* flies, rocks still
> slippery from winter.) Or you can join the regular band of hopeful
> Kimmeridge visitors but I find that area rarely wakes up before June.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --
>>> derek.moody

Concerning reels,
I was looking at the Ron Thompson X-cite and the Ron Thompson Large Arbor
Airstream reel, any good for sal****er?

I think rod is no probs but not sure about the reel,
thanks

Derek.Moody
January 29th, 2005, 12:14 AM
In article >, fantom
> wrote:

> Concerning reels,
> I was looking at the Ron Thompson X-cite and the Ron Thompson Large Arbor
> Airstream reel, any good for sal****er?

No idea, probably.

I always use the cheapest graphite reel available. The last couple I bought
were under ukp 20 by Shakespeare. I don't look after reels properly: I know
I ought to wash the salt and sand out and relubricate every trip but I tend
to leave 'em festering in the bag... They last 3 - 5 years with my level of
abuse. Aluminium reels don't last even a full season.

> I think rod is no probs but not sure about the reel,

To be realistic. The largest fish you can expect is about 10lb, the longest
run will be no more than 100 metres so no need for hi-tech gear. If you
could stop big seatrout with it it'll be ok.

Make sure the rod has a good fighting curve with a bit of backbone.
Nowadays I mostly use a nominal 5 weight which bends dramatically in a big
fish but the butt section has a -lot- of reserve power. With big flies you
learn to strike with the stripping hand rather than the rod tip. Start out
with something around #8 though 'til you're used to it.

[ I once took a local casting instructor down to the salt: He was
astonished to have a take first cast - "I've got one! Oh look, it's
running. Hey, all my line's gone!" then he clamped down on the fish and
the hook pulled out. My guess is that he hadn't struck properly (if at all)
being used to trout taking small flies and the fish was never really hooked.
If he'd bent into the fish from the start it probably wouldn't have taken ten
yards.
]

Cheerio,

--

fantom
January 29th, 2005, 11:34 AM
"Derek.Moody" > wrote in message
> In article >, fantom
> > wrote:
>
>> Concerning reels,
>> I was looking at the Ron Thompson X-cite and the Ron Thompson Large Arbor
>> Airstream reel, any good for sal****er?
>
> No idea, probably.
>
> I always use the cheapest graphite reel available. The last couple I
> bought
> were under ukp 20 by Shakespeare. I don't look after reels properly: I
> know
> I ought to wash the salt and sand out and relubricate every trip but I
> tend
> to leave 'em festering in the bag... They last 3 - 5 years with my level
> of
> abuse. Aluminium reels don't last even a full season.
>
>> I think rod is no probs but not sure about the reel,
>
> To be realistic. The largest fish you can expect is about 10lb, the
> longest
> run will be no more than 100 metres so no need for hi-tech gear. If you
> could stop big seatrout with it it'll be ok.
>
> Make sure the rod has a good fighting curve with a bit of backbone.
> Nowadays I mostly use a nominal 5 weight which bends dramatically in a big
> fish but the butt section has a -lot- of reserve power. With big flies
> you
> learn to strike with the stripping hand rather than the rod tip. Start
> out
> with something around #8 though 'til you're used to it.
>
> [ I once took a local casting instructor down to the salt: He was
> astonished to have a take first cast - "I've got one! Oh look, it's
> running. Hey, all my line's gone!" then he clamped down on the fish and
> the hook pulled out. My guess is that he hadn't struck properly (if at
> all)
> being used to trout taking small flies and the fish was never really
> hooked.
> If he'd bent into the fish from the start it probably wouldn't have taken
> ten
> yards.
> ]
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --

thanks, i was looking at a deal on ebay for both that rod reel combo, was
cheap when i asked, gone up to silly money now, so i think i will do the
same, and get a cheap graphite one. Thanks