PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cortland 444 Lazerline vs. 555 Line

Keith
February 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I fish for Atlantic salmon and used the 444 for several years and the
555 the last two years. The 555 is smoother for casting BUT! I
used a nail knot to attach the leader. On the 444 there was no
problem, even on a larger fish. With the 555 I lost several leaders
while playing fish using the same knot and had to switch to a loop or
eyelet. It just wouldn't hold on the 555!

Keith P.

Padishar Creel
February 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
"Keith" > wrote in message
> I fish for Atlantic salmon and used the 444 for several years and
the
> 555 the last two years. The 555 is smoother for casting BUT! I
> used a nail knot to attach the leader. On the 444 there was no
> problem, even on a larger fish. With the 555 I lost several
leaders
> while playing fish using the same knot and had to switch to a loop
or
> eyelet. It just wouldn't hold on the 555!
----------
Too slick I see! What I have gone to is using the ready made braided loops,
but with the following changes:

1) Cut the end of the 555 of cleanly and barely dip the end in aquaseal,
just an 1/8" or less. Let completely dry.
2) Put on the shink tubing that came with the loop and slide it up your
line
3) Put on the loop till the line end butts up against the loop itself.
4) Move the shink tubing to cover the braided loop end - half on the line
and half on the loop material
5) make the line where the shink tubing covers the loop and the line
6) slide the shrink tubing up
7) slide the braided loop down
8) with fine sand paper or a fine nail file GENTLY Rough up the area you
marked
9) Slide the braided loop back in place and glue with a think layer of
zap-a-cap the whole area that is roughed up let dry completely
10) Slide the shrink tubing down 1/2 on the line and 1/2 on the braided loop
where you have marked
11) Shrink the tubing per instructions

Let set for a day, and I have used exercise weights to test the above on old
line and it has never released. I hope this helps.

Chris