PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got information on making the run from Key West to Cancun.

Wreckless
February 22nd, 2005, 01:07 AM
I was looking into taking my boat from Key West to Cancun later this year
but 400 miles is at the top of my range and judging by the boats I have
seen there and Isla and Puerto Aventuras it has to be at the top of a lot of
others. Anyone have any experience or info on how they do it? Can you stop
in Cuba for fuel or is that just asking for trouble? Is there a port in the
dry tortugas where you can get fuel and then is it shorter?

Dan Krueger
February 22nd, 2005, 01:37 AM
If you don't know you shouldn't consider it. No port in the Dry Tortugas for
starters.

Wreckless wrote:

> I was looking into taking my boat from Key West to Cancun later this year
> but 400 miles is at the top of my range and judging by the boats I have
> seen there and Isla and Puerto Aventuras it has to be at the top of a lot of
> others. Anyone have any experience or info on how they do it? Can you stop
> in Cuba for fuel or is that just asking for trouble? Is there a port in the
> dry tortugas where you can get fuel and then is it shorter?

Wreckless
February 22nd, 2005, 11:01 PM
That's a big help Dan, if you don't want to give any information then maybe
you should consider not responding. How's that for being wise back. Sounds
like the kind of answer a government worker would give me or maybe someone
stuck on an island. Thanks, though for the info on the Dry Tortugas I will
scratch that.

"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> If you don't know you shouldn't consider it. No port in the Dry Tortugas
for
> starters.
>
> Wreckless wrote:
>
> > I was looking into taking my boat from Key West to Cancun later this
year
> > but 400 miles is at the top of my range and judging by the boats I have
> > seen there and Isla and Puerto Aventuras it has to be at the top of a
lot of
> > others. Anyone have any experience or info on how they do it? Can you
stop
> > in Cuba for fuel or is that just asking for trouble? Is there a port in
the
> > dry tortugas where you can get fuel and then is it shorter?

NOYB
February 27th, 2005, 08:40 PM
"Wreckless" > wrote in message
>I was looking into taking my boat from Key West to Cancun later this year
> but 400 miles is at the top of my range

What kind of boat do you have? Make sure you're leaving 1/3 of your fuel
in reserve when you're determining range.

Wreckless
February 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM
my boat burns 25 gals at a 20 kt cruise and holds 400 gal., I had figured
that to make it I would need to carry a fuel bladder and cut my speed to 10
kts. I was hoping to hear from someone who has some experience in making
that run in a power boat who could tell me if you run into a difficulty
whether you could stop in Cuba and also something about the time of year
that the seas are generally the calmest. I also wondered about currents, I
know the gulf stream flows at 3 to 5 kts off palm beach but I wondered what
the current was like in the more open area of the gulf. Any knowlege of
these?
"NOYB" > wrote in message

> "Wreckless" > wrote in message
> >I was looking into taking my boat from Key West to Cancun later this year
> > but 400 miles is at the top of my range
>
> What kind of boat do you have? Make sure you're leaving 1/3 of your fuel
> in reserve when you're determining range.

Sarge
February 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM
If you are worried about the distance, why not head for Couzmel first. Then
head to Cancun. You could use Couzmel as a refueling stop. You may also
want to look at following the US coast making stops in different ports along
Louisiana and Texas. Plenty of boat and helicopter traffic off theses coast
if you run into problems/

Sarge