PDA

View Full Version : Opinons Please! PENN Fly Reels

mexflyfish
March 5th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I've recently been bit by the sal****er fly fishing bug. I'm in the process
of shopping for equipment, rods, reels. I'd like to acquire a couple 10 wt
reels (A guide in Los Cabos used RIPTIDES for Dorado, Sierra, Pez Gallo).

I've looked at TIBOR (actually bought one PACIFIC for Billfish) ABEL, ROSS,
ORVIS VORTEX and wonder why not much has ever been mentioned of the Penn
Salt Fly Reels.

I'm aware Penn fly reels went out of production 2 years ago. I have several
big game trolling reels by Penn (130, 80, 50) and have always loved
everything they've made.

I would consider myself a novice fisherman (need to spend time in the back
yard practicing my casting), I would seriously only get away to fish once a
year. Los Cabos is my primary destination, but down the road have eyes on
fishing the flats off Belize. Would I notice the difference between PENN
and TIBOR given limited time I would be able to get away and fish?

Looking for some thoughts.........

Thanks!!

Dave Martel
March 5th, 2005, 06:47 PM
For the Salt I don't (and wouldn't) consider anything but Abel and Tibor
(count Pates in with Tibors if you want to). Big sal****er trips are too
valuable to be messing with inferior equipment. As always, YMMV.

Dave M
. ..