PDA

View Full Version : entomology

williemcd
March 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I'm hoping someone can point me to a site that has photo's of the
various insects and the representitive fly. I fish the Catskill area
primarily but am hoping to explore Penns' and North Carolina mtns. I'm
somewhat adept with the cast as well as sizing the fly but for the life
of me I can't get the hang of insect identification. I do all my
fishing with other novices so they aren't too much help either! Thanks
in advance. Bill in Virginia

Frank Reid
March 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM
williemcd wrote:
> I'm hoping someone can point me to a site that has photo's of the
> various insects and the representitive fly. I fish the Catskill area
> primarily but am hoping to explore Penns' and North Carolina mtns. I'm
> somewhat adept with the cast as well as sizing the fly but for the life
> of me I can't get the hang of insect identification. I do all my
> fishing with other novices so they aren't too much help either! Thanks
> in advance. Bill in Virginia

Well, for Penns, you can't beat
http://home.comcast.net/~montaukbruce/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Go to the phots section.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to reply

williemcd
March 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks mucho Frank.

Frank Reid
March 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Bill,
If you look at the hatch charts for Penns, then use a combo of
Bruce's site and the book "Hatches II," you should be able to develop
some great flies.
I (and a bunch of folks from this group) visit Penns every May.
You're invited. Its a great week. This year, we're trying to hit the
Green Drake hatch.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to reply

Softhackle
March 8th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Folks I added some photos to the web page and a hatch chart.
This will be the last update until the Blue Quills hatch in early
April.
I cant wait to see the first rise of the year.
Bruce

Jeff Miller
March 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM
williemcd wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can point me to a site that has photo's of the
> various insects and the representitive fly. I fish the Catskill area
> primarily but am hoping to explore Penns' and North Carolina mtns. I'm
> somewhat adept with the cast as well as sizing the fly but for the life
> of me I can't get the hang of insect identification. I do all my
> fishing with other novices so they aren't too much help either! Thanks
> in advance. Bill in Virginia

as someone who can't identify bugs but who has successfully fished the
nc streams for a while despite such a handicap, let me suggest you
shouldn't worry about the ents too much. almost anything approaching the
look and size of the bug (usually you'll see one or two) will do to
tease our starving trout. popular patterns are adams, trudes, elk hair
caddis, stimulators, royal wulffs, humpies, bwo, wooly buggers, gold
ribbed hares ear, pheasant tail, prince. nc streams do not produce much
in the way of hatches...but penns, well, if you want an entomology
lesson, that's the place.

jeff

Frank Reid
March 8th, 2005, 12:12 PM
> but penns, well, if you want an entomology
> lesson, that's the place.

No truer words spoken. That place is bug heaven.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to reply

Frank Reid
March 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
> Folks I added some photos to the web page and a hatch chart.
> This will be the last update until the Blue Quills hatch in early
> April.
> I cant wait to see the first rise of the year.
> Bruce

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your pictures are astounding.
Thanks for shareing them with us.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to reply

williemcd
March 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Bruce, what is the URL for the webpage? Bill in Va.

paraleptropy
March 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
On 7 Mar 2005 09:16:37 -0800, "williemcd" > wrote:

>I'm hoping someone can point me to a site that has photo's of the
>various insects and the representitive fly. I fish the Catskill area
>primarily but am hoping to explore Penns' and North Carolina mtns. I'm
>somewhat adept with the cast as well as sizing the fly but for the life
>of me I can't get the hang of insect identification. I do all my
>fishing with other novices so they aren't too much help either! Thanks
>in advance. Bill in Virginia

Check out these two links...

http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=505
http://www.troutnut.com