PDA

View Full Version : OT Republican End Game

Ken Fortenberry
March 9th, 2005, 09:24 PM
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852

A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.

But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
me.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
March 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>
> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.

Hey, one outta three ain't bad. At least they didn't waste their votes
on Nader, eh? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

March 9th, 2005, 10:28 PM
In article >,
says...

> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>
> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>
> But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
> believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
> the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
> plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
> me.

I'm surprised the # is that low. People aren't exactly bright.
This is neither surprising or new. If anything, the # has
probably been declining in the past few decades.

If you want a good scare check out:
http://www.pollingreport.com/religion.htm

60% believe the story of Noah is literally true.
64% believe the story of Moses parting the red sea...
48% have personally witnessed a miracle.

Your Newsweek poll is listed
(http://www.pollingreport.com/religion2.htm)

It's the evangelical protestants you need to worry about.
Believe the world will end ala revelations:
All adults: 40%
All christians: 45%
evangelical protestants: 71%
other protestants: 28%
catholics: 18%

I wish they crosslisted the results with "capable of tying one's
shoes".....I bet there would be a strong correlation. ;-)

Still not a new phenomenon [un]fortunately.
- Ken

GaryM
March 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in
:

> Hey, one outta three ain't bad. At least they didn't waste their
> votes on Nader, eh? ;-)

I might be joining you. That picture on abpf of W holding the salmon
almost made me like him. Now when did Karl Rove learn Photoshop.

bearsbuddy
March 9th, 2005, 11:55 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>>
>> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
>> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
>> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
>> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>
> Hey, one outta three ain't bad. At least they didn't waste their votes
> on Nader, eh? ;-)
> --
> TL,
> Tim

I'll take a wasted vote over what we have, anytime! However, that having
been said:

"Your one vote has the same power to affect the results whether you vote
for a major or minor candidate, but a vote for the candidate you respect and
agree with gives you the expectation of a better outcome. If you are like me
and do take the time and effort to vote, you should put your X beside the
candidate you think will be the best president, not the one most likely to
beat the guy you dislike. The myth of the wasted third-party vote is just
that – a myth. If there is a wasted vote, it is the one cast futilely
against the candidate you dislike in an attempt to swing the national
election." http://tinyurl.com/43zms

http://tinyurl.com/5neu3

http://tinyurl.com/6fsm4

http://tinyurl.com/6zrf9

Mark

Rick Steele
March 10th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>
> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>
> But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
> believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
> the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
> plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
> me.

If I may ask, why do you bring this subject up?
Isn't this a fly fishing group?

Rick Steele

Ken Fortenberry
March 10th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Rick Steele wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>

>> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>>
>> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
>> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
>> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
>> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>>
>> But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
>> believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
>> the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
>> plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
>> me.
>>
> If I may ask, why do you bring this subject up?

I read a particularly well written and frightening article
in the current issue of _The New York Review of Books_
this morning and thought I would share it with the folks
here. The main theme of the article, which you would know
if you had bothered to read it, is that we are ****ting
in our own nest and screwing our grandchildren.

> Isn't this a fly fishing group?

New around here, aren't you ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

daytripper
March 10th, 2005, 01:46 AM
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:19:17 -0500, Rick Steele >
wrote:

>Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>
>> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>>
>> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
>> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
>> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
>> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>>
>> But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
>> believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
>> the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
>> plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
>> me.
>>
>If I may ask, why do you bring this subject up?
>Isn't this a fly fishing group?
>
>Rick Steele

To be fair, you were warned. Try self control next time.

Hey - do you see us bitching about the "God smoteth his son for you" posts?

;-)

March 10th, 2005, 04:49 AM
wrote:

>Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>
>> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>>
>> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
>> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
>> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
>> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>>
>> But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
>> believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
>> the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
>> plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
>> me.
>>
>If I may ask, why do you bring this subject up?
>Isn't this a fly fishing group?
>
>Rick Steele

Hoo-boy....

Xs and Os, you big silly,
Kurt Manley

Tim J.
March 10th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Rick Steele wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>
>> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>>
>> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
>> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
>> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
>> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>>
>> But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
>> believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
>> the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
>> plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
>> me.
>>
> If I may ask, why do you bring this subject up?
> Isn't this a fly fishing group?

Are you saying Ken wasn't fishing?
--
TL,
Tim

March 10th, 2005, 01:51 PM
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:49:11 GMT, wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:19:17 -0500, Rick Steele >
>wrote:
>
>>Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852
>>>
>>> A _Newsweek_ poll found that 36% of Americans believe
>>> the Book of Revelations is "true prophecy" and 25%
>>> believe 9/11 was predicted by the Bible. These people
>>> are ignorant, they're dangerous and they vote Republican.
>>>
>>> But look on the bright side, if what the "Rapture" kooks
>>> believe is true all the "saved" people will be swept off
>>> the earth real soon now and the rest of us will have
>>> plagues, locusts and frogs. Sounds like a fair trade to
>>> me.
>>>
>>If I may ask, why do you bring this subject up?
>>Isn't this a fly fishing group?
>>
>>Rick Steele
>
>Hoo-boy....
>
>Xs and Os, you big silly,
>Kurt Manley

What are you boy one of those girly-men?

Rock Stonelee

Rick Steele
March 11th, 2005, 03:34 AM
wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:49:11 GMT, wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:19:17 -0500, Rick Steele >
>>wrote:

>>>If I may ask, why do you bring this subject up?
>>>Isn't this a fly fishing group?
>>>
>>>Rick Steele
>>
>>Hoo-boy....
>>
>>Xs and Os, you big silly,
>>Kurt Manley
>

> What are you boy one of those girly-men?
>
> Rock Stonelee

Well, I sorta kinda thought there were other groups out there that
would be more in tune with his topic. Hell, I don't even go to church
but I get kinda tired listening to the bashing people take for what they
believe. It sounds to me that ol Ken prays at the alter of the left and
I wouldn't bash him for believing in "global warming"...

George Adams
March 11th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Rick Steele wrote:

> Well, I sorta kinda thought there were other groups out there that
> would be more in tune with his topic. Hell, I don't even go to church

> but I get kinda tired listening to the bashing people take for what
they
> believe. It sounds to me that ol Ken prays at the alter of the left
and
> I wouldn't bash him for believing in "global warming"...

Ken? A liberal? Surely you jest. And if you believe in global warming,
you obviously haven't been to New England in the past six weeks or
so.{;-)

GregP
March 11th, 2005, 10:50 PM
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:28:25 -0800, > wrote:

>60% believe the story of Noah is literally true.

It's pretty certain that this one is based on a real
event, tho not quite as all-encompassing.

>48% have personally witnessed a miracle.

Yeah, me ! I hooked into 4 steelhead and a brown
one day last winter. Not much for a lot of people,
but a miracle for me.

GregP
March 11th, 2005, 10:56 PM
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:34:37 -0500, Rick Steele
> wrote:

>Well, I sorta kinda thought there were other groups out there that
>would be more in tune with his topic. Hell, I don't even go to church
>but I get kinda tired listening to the bashing people take for what they
>believe. It sounds to me that ol Ken prays at the alter of the left and
> I wouldn't bash him for believing in "global warming"...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/10/national/10evangelical.html

Evangelical Leaders Swing Influence Behind Effort to Combat Global
Warming
By LAURIE GOODSTEIN

Published: March 10, 2005

A core group of influential evangelical leaders has put its
considerable political power behind a cause that has barely registered
on the evangelical agenda, fighting global warming.

These church leaders, scientists, writers and heads of international
aid agencies argue that global warming is an urgent threat, a cause of
poverty and a Christian issue because the Bible mandates stewardship
of God's creation.

The Rev. Rich Cizik, vice president of governmental affairs for the
National Association of Evangelicals and a significant voice in the
debate, said, "I don't think God is going to ask us how he created the
earth, but he will ask us what we did with what he created." ........

Rick Steele
March 12th, 2005, 02:11 AM
GregP wrote:

> Evangelical Leaders Swing Influence Behind Effort to Combat Global
> Warming
> By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
>
> Published: March 10, 2005
>

> A core group of influential evangelical leaders has put its
> considerable political power behind a cause that has barely registered
> on the evangelical agenda, fighting global warming.

Well... it just goes to show you, even church leaders, scientists,
writers and heads of international aid agencies occasionally overreact.

Wolfgang
March 12th, 2005, 02:20 AM
"Rick Steele" > wrote in message

> Well... it just goes to show you, even church leaders, scientists, writers
> and heads of international aid agencies occasionally overreact.

Stupid.

Just plain stupid

Wolfgang
hey, stevie, is that you?

Rick Steele
March 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "Rick Steele" > wrote in message
>

>>Well... it just goes to show you, even church leaders, scientists, writers
>>and heads of international aid agencies occasionally overreact.
>

> Stupid.
>
> Just plain stupid
>
> Wolfgang
> hey, stevie, is that you?

How so?

Wolfgang
March 13th, 2005, 12:07 AM
"Rick Steele" > wrote in message
> Wolfgang wrote:
>> "Rick Steele" > wrote in message
>>

>>>Well... it just goes to show you, even church leaders, scientists,
>>>writers and heads of international aid agencies occasionally overreact.
>>

>> Stupid.
>>
>> Just plain stupid
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> hey, stevie, is that you?
> How so?

Well, if you can't read this, your participation in Usenet is unmistakably
and incontestably stupid. On the other hand, if you can, then your above
included statement marks you as unmistakably and incontestably stupid.

See?

Wolfgang

Rick Steele
March 17th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "Rick Steele" > wrote in message
>
>>Wolfgang wrote:

>>>Stupid.
>>>
>>>Just plain stupid
>>>
>>>Wolfgang
>>>hey, stevie, is that you?
>>
>>How so?
>

> Well, if you can't read this, your participation in Usenet is unmistakably
> and incontestably stupid. On the other hand, if you can, then your above
> included statement marks you as unmistakably and incontestably stupid.
>
> See?
>
> Wolfgang

Well then... Mamma always says "stupid is as stupid does". Have a good
one there Wolfie :-)

Wolfgang
March 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
"Rick Steele" > wrote in message
> Wolfgang wrote:

>> Well, if you can't read this, your participation in Usenet is
>> unmistakably and incontestably stupid. On the other hand, if you can,
>> then your above included statement marks you as unmistakably and
>> incontestably stupid.
>>
>> See?
>>
>> Wolfgang
> Well then... Mamma always says "stupid is as stupid does".

Hm.....

Born of a philosopher, forged in the furnace of scientific enquiry, and
tempered in the fire of dialectic combat......and, as is now obvious, master
of the snappy (and timely) comeback to boot.

Well, if, as has often been noted, a man may be measured by the stature of
his foes, then I am indeed as mighty as they suppose.

> Have a good one there Wolfie :-)

Workin' on it.

Wolfgang

Rick Steele
March 17th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "Rick Steele" > wrote in message
>
>>Wolfgang wrote:
>

>>>Well, if you can't read this, your participation in Usenet is
>>>unmistakably and incontestably stupid. On the other hand, if you can,
>>>then your above included statement marks you as unmistakably and
>>>incontestably stupid.
>>>
>>>See?
>>>
>>>Wolfgang
>>
>>Well then... Mamma always says "stupid is as stupid does".
>

> Hm.....
>
> Born of a philosopher, forged in the furnace of scientific enquiry, and
> tempered in the fire of dialectic combat......and, as is now obvious, master
> of the snappy (and timely) comeback to boot.
>
> Well, if, as has often been noted, a man may be measured by the stature of
> his foes, then I am indeed as mighty as they suppose.
>

>>Have a good one there Wolfie :-)
>

> Workin' on it.
>
> Wolfgang

And yet another gem from the wolfman...