PDA

View Full Version : WF vs DT Line

Tony & Barb Vellturo
March 12th, 2005, 11:18 AM
What are advantages/disadvantages of a WF vs DT floating line?
The DT can be reversed (?) for longer life, but what about ease of
casting?
Tony

Joe Ellis
March 12th, 2005, 12:25 PM
In article >,
(Tony & Barb Vellturo) wrote:

>What are advantages/disadvantages of a WF vs DT floating line?
>The DT can be reversed (?) for longer life, but what about ease of
>casting?
>Tony

For short casts up to the length of the weight-forward weight, they're much the
same. For _longer_ casts, the WF is better because it drags less weight along
with it (you're into the "running" line, the thinner section) and won't
"overload" the rod on a long cast.

For small stream fishing, the DT is fine. It tends to roll cast better and
enable a _very_ slightly more delicate presentation (the taper isn't _usually_
as abrupt as a weight forward) and, of course, it lasts longer. Being
double-ended, when one end wears out just reverse it and you have a new line.

--

Joe Ellis

March 12th, 2005, 01:21 PM
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:18:22 GMT, (Tony & Barb Vellturo)
wrote:

>What are advantages/disadvantages of a WF vs DT floating line?
>The DT can be reversed (?) for longer life, but what about ease of
>casting?

Think of DT lines as two halves rather than one whole - if you couldn't cut the
line midrun and get along just fine, you might wish to go to a WF (but not
absolutely). If you could, generally, the "2 for 1" reversibility of the DT
would be the only practical differentiating factor and thus, a "better" choice
simply because it is the more economical choice. OTOH, if you regularly making
50+ foot casts, then a WF will often have some advantage, but keep in mind that
we are talking minimal practical advantage until the casts get really out there.
Basically, unless you are regularly casting over 35-50+ feet, there is going to
be little practical casting difference (for the picky enginerds and physigeeks,
_in general_, with average line tapers), so get whatever you wish and fish away.

TC,

Jarmo Hurri
March 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Tony> What are advantages/disadvantages of a WF vs DT floating line?

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/wfvsdt.shtml

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

Scott Seidman
March 12th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Joe Ellis > wrote in
:

> For short casts up to the length of the weight-forward weight, they're
> much the same. For _longer_ casts, the WF is better because it drags
> less weight along with it (you're into the "running" line, the thinner
> section) and won't "overload" the rod on a long cast.

I'd think just the opposite. Once you're into the running line, it's
pretty hard to cast That's why they tape lines in the first place.

Scott

Chas Wade
March 17th, 2005, 06:05 AM
(Tony & Barb Vellturo) wrote:
>What are advantages/disadvantages of a WF vs DT floating line?
>The DT can be reversed (?) for longer life, but what about ease of
>casting?
>Tony

I'm a bit late with this reply, but you should consider a steelhead
taper too. That's a WF line with a longer belly and a longer rear
taper making it easier to mend even 60 feet when you are making long
casts. It combines the mending and control advantages of a DT with the
space saving advantage of the WF. I've used DT lines, and reversed
them, but if you're going to handle bigger fish like steelhead and
salmon, you might be concerned about breaking the line in the old end
while you're using the new end. I've broken 2 old fly lines, one on a
snag, the other when I was testing it. The whole line has a lifetime
about the same as the coating on the front half in my experience.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Barry
March 20th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Short casts only? You could go with a DT. If you want to make effective
longer casts, then go with a WF. However, at shorter distances, either is
the same. For that reason, I haven't bought a DT line for decades.

Barry

"Tony & Barb Vellturo" > wrote in message
> What are advantages/disadvantages of a WF vs DT floating line?
> The DT can be reversed (?) for longer life, but what about ease of
> casting?
> Tony

jackk
March 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
There are very few DT salwater lines . This is because sal****er fishing
requires distance casting, and few peole have the ability to cast a DT very
far. Some people can; they have the strength to keep 70 or 80 ' of DT line
outside of the tip while falsecasting, and to lift these long lengths of
line off of the water. Most of us can't so we use DT lines and shoot 40 to
50' of running line.
In deciding which type of line to use, you must also consider the line
carrying capacity of your reel. DT lines require almost twice as much space
on the reel as WFs. You may have to take all of our backing off, and even
then it might no be enough. Most reel companies list the capacity of their
reels for a WF line.
My rule of thumb is if it is a 5 wt or less get a DT (if it fits on the
reel). For 6 and over line weights, get a WF