PDA

View Full Version : Mackerel sport?

sprattoo
March 13th, 2005, 03:48 AM
I really enjoy catching Mackerel here in Maine on light tackle. They make
fast runs, fight hard and generally make for fast fishing action when you
are fishing for one at a time off a Jetty or Pier.

I have even been making unique flies and lures geared just for Mackerel in
Maine.

Does anyone else around consider Mackerel as a "sport" fish? If so I would
really be interested in what type of terminal gear and fishing style is
being used.

I figure If I'm catching them for striper bait, I might as well have a lot
of fun doing it. I haven't seen many sites geared specifically toward
mackerel fishing from shore.

John Murphy
March 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Further south, Macks are not normally caught from shore. I fish for
them in the spring run off Va/Md/Del/NJ and we are usually 10-15 miles
offshore. The standard tackle used is a conventional boat rod with 3-5
hooks (tubes and a jig). I like to bring along a light spinning rod
with 6-8 pound test line and a small chrome jig or spoon and catch them
one at a time instead of 4 at a time. They are quite good little
fighters when fished on light tackle. I addition to being good bait, I
enjoy a fresh broiled mackerel with a little butter, lemon and garlic.
They don't freeze well fresh but they certainly do smoke well. I bought
a home smoker and now smoke a couple of dozen and enjoy them over a 3
month period following the run.

sprattoo wrote:
> I really enjoy catching Mackerel here in Maine on light tackle. They make
> fast runs, fight hard and generally make for fast fishing action when you
> are fishing for one at a time off a Jetty or Pier.
>
> I have even been making unique flies and lures geared just for Mackerel in
> Maine.
>
> Does anyone else around consider Mackerel as a "sport" fish? If so I would
> really be interested in what type of terminal gear and fishing style is
> being used.
>
> I figure If I'm catching them for striper bait, I might as well have a lot
> of fun doing it. I haven't seen many sites geared specifically toward
> mackerel fishing from shore.

sprattoo
March 13th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I discovered the same thing myself this last year John
Mackerel are lousy in the freezer. When I unthaw them to cook them they are
almost unbearably fishy and just don't seem right. (sadly I have about 10 in
there that I'm just keeping until spring for bait now.)

however, after I make my chowder or what not that does seem to freeze ok.
Maybe it has something to do with the oils in them.
--
_______________________________
Everything from fishing to Freaks
"John Murphy" > wrote in message
> Further south, Macks are not normally caught from shore. I fish for them
> in the spring run off Va/Md/Del/NJ and we are usually 10-15 miles
> offshore. The standard tackle used is a conventional boat rod with 3-5
> hooks (tubes and a jig). I like to bring along a light spinning rod with
> 6-8 pound test line and a small chrome jig or spoon and catch them one at
> a time instead of 4 at a time. They are quite good little fighters when
> fished on light tackle. I addition to being good bait, I enjoy a fresh
> broiled mackerel with a little butter, lemon and garlic. They don't freeze
> well fresh but they certainly do smoke well. I bought a home smoker and
> now smoke a couple of dozen and enjoy them over a 3 month period following
> the run.
>

> sprattoo wrote:
>> I really enjoy catching Mackerel here in Maine on light tackle. They make
>> fast runs, fight hard and generally make for fast fishing action when you
>> are fishing for one at a time off a Jetty or Pier.
>>
>> I have even been making unique flies and lures geared just for Mackerel
>> in Maine.
>>
>> Does anyone else around consider Mackerel as a "sport" fish? If so I
>> would really be interested in what type of terminal gear and fishing
>> style is being used.
>>
>> I figure If I'm catching them for striper bait, I might as well have a
>> lot of fun doing it. I haven't seen many sites geared specifically toward
>> mackerel fishing from shore.

John Murphy
March 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I read that the "nice" oils that are in the fish when it is fresh break
down into oils that are NOT so nice over time, even when frozen.
Apparently smoking or cooking prevents or retards that process.

I had some mack filets last summer that someone's wife had baked with
some tomatoes and then froze and it was pretty good even 3 months later.
I guess there is something to it. Be sure to vacuum seal, though.

Try the smoking them, too - they are really good, especially with cherry
wood chips.

Tight lines
John

sprattoo wrote:

> I discovered the same thing myself this last year John
> Mackerel are lousy in the freezer. When I unthaw them to cook them they are
> almost unbearably fishy and just don't seem right. (sadly I have about 10 in
> there that I'm just keeping until spring for bait now.)
>
> however, after I make my chowder or what not that does seem to freeze ok.
> Maybe it has something to do with the oils in them.

sprattoo
March 15th, 2005, 06:37 AM
I haven't tried Cherry.
My sis has a smoker and we have just been using Mesquite for everything. I
remember as a kid eating smoked and dried Elwives. They used to dish them
out of the river in North-eastern Maine then cure them in smoke houses right
on the bank... so salty and yummy.

Any idea how to replicate that?

--
_______________________________
Everything from fishing to Freaks
www.sprattoo.com
_______________________________
"John Murphy" > wrote in message
>I read that the "nice" oils that are in the fish when it is fresh break
>down into oils that are NOT so nice over time, even when frozen. Apparently
>smoking or cooking prevents or retards that process.
>
> I had some mack filets last summer that someone's wife had baked with some
> tomatoes and then froze and it was pretty good even 3 months later. I
> guess there is something to it. Be sure to vacuum seal, though.
>
> Try the smoking them, too - they are really good, especially with cherry
> wood chips.
>
> Tight lines
> John
>

> sprattoo wrote:
>
>> I discovered the same thing myself this last year John
>> Mackerel are lousy in the freezer. When I unthaw them to cook them they
>> are almost unbearably fishy and just don't seem right. (sadly I have
>> about 10 in there that I'm just keeping until spring for bait now.)
>>
>> however, after I make my chowder or what not that does seem to freeze ok.
>> Maybe it has something to do with the oils in them.

Shoki
March 20th, 2005, 03:10 AM
We use feathers this side of the pond, usually 6 upto a dozen on a standard
boat rod and upto 25 hooks hand lining, and tend to smoke with oak
if the feathers or tinsels come loose just keep going with the shiny hook it
works just as good.

good fun on a fly rod too.