PDA

View Full Version : warm water fish

gary
March 16th, 2005, 09:01 PM
What kind of flies to use for Bluegill, etc this time of year?

Tim J.
March 16th, 2005, 09:11 PM
gary wrote:
> What kind of flies to use for Bluegill, etc this time of year?

Since I'm writing this from New England, I can't vouch for "this time of
year", but we knock 'em dead with gurglers through the summer months up
here.

http://gula.org/roffswaps/detail.php?page=GS2004&id=6
--
TL,
Tim

daytripper
March 16th, 2005, 10:06 PM
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:11:15 -0500, "Tim J."
> wrote:

>gary wrote:
>> What kind of flies to use for Bluegill, etc this time of year?
>
>Since I'm writing this from New England, I can't vouch for "this time of
>year", but we knock 'em dead with gurglers through the summer months up
>here.

Well, heck, around my side of the state, the bluegills are so full of
themselves they'll attack just about any friggin' thing we throw at them.

Big, small, yellow, black, or anything in between, if there's any possible way
for them to hook themselves on it, they're wriggling on the line in no time...

/daytripper (maybe ours got some Pirana genes? ;-)

Wolfgang
March 16th, 2005, 10:53 PM
"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:11:15 -0500, "Tim J."
> > wrote:
>
>>gary wrote:
>>> What kind of flies to use for Bluegill, etc this time of year?
>>
>>Since I'm writing this from New England, I can't vouch for "this time of
>>year", but we knock 'em dead with gurglers through the summer months up
>>here.
>
> Well, heck, around my side of the state, the bluegills are so full of
> themselves they'll attack just about any friggin' thing we throw at them.
>
> Big, small, yellow, black, or anything in between, if there's any possible
> way
> for them to hook themselves on it, they're wriggling on the line in no
> time...
>
> /daytripper (maybe ours got some Pirana genes? ;-)

Mmmmmm........

sounds more like Snedeker, LaCourse, Barnard, Le, Janik, Fortenberry
or......dick.....genes.

Wolfgang

asadi
March 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM
In the early spring I use the same flies as I do in mid-summer, however of a
smaller size.

I'll start with wooly buggers in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range. White and dirty
white to imitate baitfish, and olive green with a dash of brown/rusty red to
imitate sculpins and crawfish. I'll search big flats where the water might
be warmer in the mid or late afternoon and the deep holes where smallmouth
lie to rest after beginning their trek upriver.

I may use an unweighted fly or go to a bead head or even a heavy cone head
as I search different levels, usually slowly in the cool water. Bluegill,
smallmouth, rock bass, crappie seem to have, by and large, the same tastes
most of the time.

Surface wise, the first fly I'll use is something in the honey bee or bumble
color as those are about the first to come out in any numbers.

Later, in full spring, the larger buggers and spiders and beetles come into
play along with the brighter colors and speed of retrieve increases.

john

"gary" > wrote in message
link.net...
> What kind of flies to use for Bluegill, etc this time of year?

Frank Church
March 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
"asadi" > wrote in
m:

....just WTF is this newsgroup coming to? An actual conversation about
fishing...well I'll be damned! I'm forced to counter that with this
story of my recent trip to Albuquerque: A two day trip turned into a
nightmare as an errant snowstorm hit the panhandle of Texas and the high
country of NM. The final 200 miles to ABQ took me 6 hrs of dodging slip-
sliding semis, cars in the ditch and people going nowhere up slight
slopes of icy interstate. Arrived in ABQ worn and frazzled, made the
delivery and spent the nite with the Air Force as another 3" of wet snow
arrived. I-40 was closed to eastbound traffic so I was forced to take a
detour of some 550 miles south to El Paso and thence across central Texas
to get home. Gas at over $2 @ gallon did nothing to ease my way home
either. Is it spring yet?

Frank Church
....full retirement is looking better and better