PDA

View Full Version : Easter Plans

Keith M
March 24th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Hi All
Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
Keith M

Kyle Kensett
March 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Hoping to go out in the boat tomorrow from Littlehampton in West Sussex,
meant to be the beginning of the Bream season arriving apparently, but I
doubt ill get anything :)

Kyle
"Keith M" > wrote in message
> Hi All
> Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
> Keith M

Derek.Moody
March 25th, 2005, 12:07 AM
In article >, Keith M
> wrote:
> Hi All
> Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?

Barely worth it imo. Nothing much about alongshore bar rockling and
see-through flatties. Instead we've arranged to go and recce a secion of
coast at low water springs - two of us will go down with maps and cameras
and draw out the features in relation to coastal landmarks. There have been
enough cliff falls that the ones we did fifteen years back are badly out of
date.

Might go and look at a couple of early reef-pollock marks and sniff for the
first of the bream if conditions look ok on the back of the springs.

Mind you ther early gar should be along rsn and then the cycle starts again.

Cheerio,

--

Steve Walker
March 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM
In message >, Derek.Moody
> writes
>In article >, Keith M
> wrote:
>> Hi All
>> Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
>
>Barely worth it imo.

We're planning a trip to the Solent area on Sunday. Looks from the catch
reports as if there are a few small bass about, flatties and dogfish.

Not terribly promising, to be honest, but the last couple of weeks have
been a bit stressful and even a blank session on the beach seems to work
wonders.

I think we could really do with some rag, but I don't think we'll have
the chance to get any.

--
Steve Walker

Keith M
March 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Well at least a few of us are going to chance it and Derek is doing
something related and long term useful but lets not forget that, and I speak
for myself
here, fishing is about being away from it all with the bonus of a fish or
three - I know how it feels Steve - I'm more wound up than the line on my
reel.
Any way - good luck and tight lines and perhaps a report or two when our
collective typing finger has thawed out.
Tight Lines
Keith M

"Keith M" > wrote in message
> Hi All
> Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
> Keith M

Dave
March 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Hi all

Our boat club is having a "get to know how to handle a/your boat morning on
Sunday.

We feel it is important how any crew member knows how to start the engine,
retrieve or cut the anchor rope and buoy it.
Use the VHF radio, navigate & use Man Overboard Button and how to recover a
man overboard.

The reason is it could be that it is the skipper who has fallen over or ill.
Would YOU know what to do in an emergency?

Still, I am taking a rod or two just in case I get a chance to wet a line
for a while. :-))

Have a good safe week-end to you all.

Dave

"Keith M" > wrote in message
> Hi All
> Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
> Keith M

Derek.Moody
March 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM
In article >, Keith M
> wrote:
> Well at least a few of us are going to chance it and Derek is doing
> something related and long term useful

I've used March springs for recce's for a very long time
- it always pays off in the long run.
Why March?
* Fishing poor
* Main cliff-fall season ending
* Low low springs.

> but lets not forget that, and I speak
> for myself
> here, fishing is about being away from it all with the bonus of a fish or
> three - I know how it feels Steve - I'm more wound up than the line on my
> reel.

OK, your POV.

As for me I don't regard the fish as a bonus. The nice day out in (usually)
pleasant surroundings is the bonus. If there is little or no chance of a
fish I don't wet a line.

Cheerio,

--

mal
March 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Keith M wrote:
> Hi All
> Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
> Keith M

Down on the Chesil-Abbots.

--
Athlon 1.3-256 meg ram-mandrake 10.1.
-To reply remove speed-

Steve Walker
March 28th, 2005, 02:08 PM
In message >, Keith M
> writes

>Any way - good luck and tight lines and perhaps a report or two when our
>collective typing finger has thawed out.

Not a great session; broke my rod just above the reel seat on an
off-the-ground cast. First cast, as it happens... I ended up sawing the
butt cap off, reversing the section and ramming the broken end into it.
Taped up the makeshift spigot, taped the reel to the blank, and was able
to fish. I'm not *too* bothered, given that it was a very, very cheap
rod and I was looking for an excuse to replace it, but it buggered the
session up. There were bites coming as it went dark (while I was messing
about with open blank rod surgery), and then it all went quiet until the
top of the tide.

Anyway, couldn't really get enough distance. Finished with a single tiny
pout. The guys up the beach from us had a small bass between them, but
they did confirm that thornback rays were being caught at distance this
last week.

Any recommendations for a general purpose beachcaster, ringed for
fixed-spool, about 100 quid, capable of handling off-the-ground with
5/6oz? It would be nice if it could pull a bit more distance out with a
full pendulum, but I hardly ever feel the need.

--
Steve Walker

fantom
March 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
"Steve Walker" > wrote in message
> In message >, Keith M
> > writes
>
>>Any way - good luck and tight lines and perhaps a report or two when our
>>collective typing finger has thawed out.
>
> Not a great session; broke my rod just above the reel seat on an
> off-the-ground cast. First cast, as it happens... I ended up sawing the
> butt cap off, reversing the section and ramming the broken end into it.
> Taped up the makeshift spigot, taped the reel to the blank, and was able
> to fish. I'm not *too* bothered, given that it was a very, very cheap rod
> and I was looking for an excuse to replace it, but it buggered the session
> up. There were bites coming as it went dark (while I was messing about
> with open blank rod surgery), and then it all went quiet until the top of
> the tide.
>
> Anyway, couldn't really get enough distance. Finished with a single tiny
> pout. The guys up the beach from us had a small bass between them, but
> they did confirm that thornback rays were being caught at distance this
> last week.
>
> Any recommendations for a general purpose beachcaster, ringed for
> fixed-spool, about 100 quid, capable of handling off-the-ground with
> 5/6oz? It would be nice if it could pull a bit more distance out with a
> full pendulum, but I hardly ever feel the need.
>
> --
> Steve Walker

Hi, i would recommend the daiwa sandstorm for that price.Very nice rod.

Steve Walker
March 28th, 2005, 04:43 PM
In message >, fantom
> writes
>
>"Steve Walker" > wrote in message

>> Any recommendations for a general purpose beachcaster, ringed for
>> fixed-spool, about 100 quid, capable of handling off-the-ground with
>> 5/6oz? It would be nice if it could pull a bit more distance out with a
>> full pendulum, but I hardly ever feel the need.

>Hi, i would recommend the daiwa sandstorm for that price.Very nice rod.

Yes, I was looking at those. I like Daiwa, I've been really pleased with
their kit in the past. I quite fancy the Supercast STS 13F, though,
little bit more expensive at about £140. Well, 40% more expensive, I
suppose, but not a massive difference.

Worth it, do you think? Anyone got one of these?

--
Steve Walker

Keith.M
March 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Steve
The Supercast range was road tested in Sea Angler mag last year and came out
well reported, both F.S and multi, models although only the 12fts were on
test.
Boughr a Longbeam - and well satisfied and a K2 16ft.
Brilliant off the ground when you get used to the extra negatibe leverage
effect inflicted by the weight.
No good in windy weather though - still looking for a 10ft rod rest.
KM
"Steve Walker" > wrote in message
> In message >, fantom
> > writes
>>
>>"Steve Walker" > wrote in message
>
>>> Any recommendations for a general purpose beachcaster, ringed for
>>> fixed-spool, about 100 quid, capable of handling off-the-ground with
>>> 5/6oz? It would be nice if it could pull a bit more distance out with a
>>> full pendulum, but I hardly ever feel the need.
>
>>Hi, i would recommend the daiwa sandstorm for that price.Very nice rod.
>
> Yes, I was looking at those. I like Daiwa, I've been really pleased with
> their kit in the past. I quite fancy the Supercast STS 13F, though, little
> bit more expensive at about £140. Well, 40% more expensive, I suppose, but
> not a massive difference.
>
> Worth it, do you think? Anyone got one of these?
>
> --
> Steve Walker

Keith.M
March 31st, 2005, 10:38 PM
Couldn't fish until into the week by which time too much easterly wind here
in Kent so decided to try a spot of fly fishing on Tuesday.

2 fish for 5.5lbs and I had to work hard for them.

Went to Deal yesterday (Wednesday) foggy and cold - 8deg C, but breeze now
westerly.
Not a dickybird but had some unususal bites which came to nothing.
Unusual bites though - the rod tip "shivered" a few times and eventualy
knocked very gently (not the tide).
the bait wasd intact when retreived.
Any suggestions - I've discounted crabs cos they would have stripped the
hooks bare in moments and dabs and whiting if still around would have taken
the bait if not the hook.

Keith M