PDA

View Full Version : Nymph Lines

tmon
March 25th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Any opinions on the Easy Mend Wonderline Advantage as a nymph line?
Any other suggestions? Thanks. TL, Tom

JR
March 25th, 2005, 06:12 AM
tmon wrote:
> Any opinions on the Easy Mend Wonderline Advantage as a nymph line?

It's really only appropriate for beadhead nymphs in the #16-#18 range.

> Any other suggestions?

Buy a DT or WF line and devote leftover thought capacity to the design of
energy efficient cars......

JR

Herman Nijland
March 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM
tmon wrote:
> Any opinions on the Easy Mend Wonderline Advantage as a nymph line?
> Any other suggestions? Thanks. TL, Tom

It reads like a marketing ploy:
'A belly section 33% longer increases mass, enhances distance and
accuracy, makes line mending easier for longer, drag-free dry-fly
drifts, and enhances line control when nymphing.'
Imho you're better off with straightforward DT line.

--
Herman

Tom Nakashima
March 25th, 2005, 02:27 PM
"Herman Nijland" > wrote in message
> tmon wrote:
> > Any opinions on the Easy Mend Wonderline Advantage as a nymph line?
> > Any other suggestions? Thanks. TL, Tom
>
> It reads like a marketing ploy:
> 'A belly section 33% longer increases mass, enhances distance and
> accuracy, makes line mending easier for longer, drag-free dry-fly
> drifts, and enhances line control when nymphing.'
> Imho you're better off with straightforward DT line.
>
> --
> Herman

I am one who uses the "Nymph line", indeed it has the 33% longer belly
section, and you really have to get the line out there past that section, in
order to cast. Remember you're throwing a heaving line to begin with, 8w WF
as in my case, and for short distances it's almost at a disadvantage when in
the air. It does however roll cast nice. At the time I thought it would be
more beneficial, but if I had to do it over again, I would stick with a good
"standard" WF line, or the straightforward DT line as Herman suggested.
The Nymph line is also longer in overall length, which fills up the spool.
Lucky I had Orvis take care of me when I originally purchased a Battenkill
IV when they had a sale on that reel. The nymph line bottomed out, so the
Manager at his suggestion let me swap it for the Battenkill V for the same
price which wasn't on sale. Pretty nice of him to do that.
Something to think about,
-tom