PDA

View Full Version : Old Heddon bamboo rod pics

Conan The Librarian
March 29th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Charlie had asked for some pics, and Richard might find these useful
as well. This is the Heddon Deluxe that I have been inquiring about.

The handle: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodcork.jpg

One ferrule: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodferrule.jpg

Lettering: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodlettering01.jpg and
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodlettering02.jpg (excuse the focus on
the second one)

The tube: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodtube.jpg

One of the wrappings: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodwrapping.jpg

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Chuck Vance

Jeff Taylor
March 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message

> Lettering: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodlettering01.jpg

In the original post about this rod, you mentioned the lettering was #T80 -
8 - D or 6

I believe that reads D or E??

JT

March 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:40:21 -0600, Conan The Librarian
> wrote:

> Charlie had asked for some pics, and Richard might find these useful
>as well. This is the Heddon Deluxe that I have been inquiring about.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide.
>

> Chuck Vance

Are you _SURE_ this rod is bamboo? Is this rod perfectly round - it's
hard to tell from the pics (especially "rodlettering02")? If so, I
think it is one of the 'glass rods Heddon painted and finished to look
like bamboo. Also, it doesn't say "D or 6," it says "D or E," which
means that issue is no longer an issue. In the pics, it looks like
factory lettering, but ??? The wraps in the pics do not look factory,
but whatever the case, based on the condition shown in the pics, unless
this is some rare variant and/or historically significant, I'd say there
is no "collectibility" to it whatsoever, and fixing it up could only
improve it, both monetarily and as a fishing tool.

HTH (help that Heddon),

Charlie Wilson
March 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
> Charlie had asked for some pics, and Richard might find these useful as
> well. This is the Heddon Deluxe that I have been inquiring about.
>
> The handle: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodcork.jpg
>
> One ferrule: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodferrule.jpg
>
> Lettering: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodlettering01.jpg and
> http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodlettering02.jpg (excuse the focus on the
> second one)
>
> The tube: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodtube.jpg
>
> One of the wrappings: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rodwrapping.jpg

The blued ferrules would indicate it's either a President or a Princess;
the cigar shaped grip narrows it down to a Princess, Lucky Angler or
Featherweight. That winding check would only appear on a Lucky Angler. There
are too many discrepancies to say for sure what it is. I haven't seen an
original Heddon that did not have "Heddon" written on it(usually in a
spiral). It is hard to tell from the photos, but that rod looks round. If it
is round, it's an early glass rod and worth next to nothing. If it is
bamboo, and if the tips are full length, I'd say it is worth having it
professionally restored, just based on the ferrules. (You seldom see "hack"
restorations, which yours may be, using upgraded ferrules). The bag marks
(most apparent in the photo displaying the word "Deluxe") may also render
the rod unrestorable, but you can't tell until the rod is stripped down. The
marking "1-3" (seen just above the winding check) probably means it is three
pieces with one tip, and that does not indicate a high end rod. Some
questions that immediately come to mind are:

1. Is the rod round or hexagonal?
2. How many total sections are there, and how many tip sections?
3. Are all sections the same length, and how long is the longest?

Conan The Librarian
March 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Charlie Wilson wrote:

> 1. Is the rod round or hexagonal?
> 2. How many total sections are there, and how many tip sections?
> 3. Are all sections the same length, and how long is the longest?

OK, in my eagerness to eagerness to identify the rod by markings,
etc., I didn't bother to look at the obvious. Both you and Richard were
right -- it's a glass rod disguised to look like bamboo. *doh*

It has three sections (one tip), and all sections are the same
length. (I don't have it here with me to tell you exactly how long they
are, but I would estimate they are a bit over 2-1/2' each.)

Thanks for all your help.

Chuck Vance

March 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:32:22 -0700, "Charlie Wilson"
> wrote:

> If it
>is round, it's an early glass rod and worth next to nothing.

FWIW, some of the early "name" glass rods are collectable and actually
do have some monetary value (obviously, based on condition). Shocked
the **** outta me, but some glass rods are becoming as valuable as the
lesser-priced bamboos. Heck, the last (paper) catalog I saw from Len
Codella actually had a "Fiberglass" section, IIRC.

TC,

Wayne Knight
March 30th, 2005, 05:36 PM
wrote:

> FWIW, some of the early "name" glass rods are collectable and
actually
> do have some monetary value (obviously, based on condition). Shocked
> the **** outta me, but some glass rods are becoming as valuable as
the
> lesser-priced bamboos. Heck, the last (paper) catalog I saw from Len
> Codella actually had a "Fiberglass" section, IIRC.

If you can find a Russ Peake Glass or 70's era Winston Glass for
anything less than $700, that would be a pretty sure investment.

Charlie Wilson
March 30th, 2005, 10:21 PM
> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:32:22 -0700, "Charlie Wilson"
> > wrote:
>
>> If it
>>is round, it's an early glass rod and worth next to nothing.
>
> FWIW, some of the early "name" glass rods are collectable and actually
> do have some monetary value (obviously, based on condition). Shocked
> the **** outta me, but some glass rods are becoming as valuable as the
> lesser-priced bamboos. Heck, the last (paper) catalog I saw from Len
> Codella actually had a "Fiberglass" section, IIRC.

Yup, I knew that, but I made the statement based on the condition the
rod seemed to be in. I have a newer old Heddon glass rod (with metallic film
under the multi-colored wraps), the thing is so absolutely ghastly that it's
almost cool, kinda like some American cars of the same era.

Charlie Wilson
March 30th, 2005, 10:27 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, some of the early "name" glass rods are collectable and
> actually
>> do have some monetary value (obviously, based on condition). Shocked
>> the **** outta me, but some glass rods are becoming as valuable as
> the
>> lesser-priced bamboos. Heck, the last (paper) catalog I saw from Len
>> Codella actually had a "Fiberglass" section, IIRC.
>
> If you can find a Russ Peake Glass or 70's era Winston Glass for
> anything less than $700, that would be a pretty sure investment.

I picked up a used Russ Peak Golden Zenith in the early 90's for $200. I
nearly fished it to death for a couple of years, and I still would if it was
replaceable.

Wayne Knight
March 30th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Charlie Wilson wrote:

> I picked up a used Russ Peak Golden Zenith in the early 90's for
$200. I
> nearly fished it to death for a couple of years, and I still would if
it was
> replaceable.

Even in the era of graphite, he made one hell of a glass stick didn't
he? I wish I had kept mine.

I played with one of his graphites a few years back, i was really
disapointed in it. In hindsight it wasn't that bad a rod, guess I just
expected more after see the glass stuff.