PDA

View Full Version : Lobsters on the beach

Capt Lou
December 13th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Just some information for what it is worth. After the region's big weekend
storm, this past Wednesday morning at low tide at "sandy" Nantasket Beach,
Hull, Massachusetts, thousands (no exaggeration) of live lobsters of all sizes
washed up on the beach. Residents said they hadn't seen anything like it since
the "Blizzard of 1978," but added that it was quite common after a N'oreaster
during the 50s and 60s. I have lived on Nantasket Beach for the past 10 years,
and have seen plenty of clams, mussels, and traps wash up on the beach, but
this was the first time that I had ever seen so many live lobsters. I know it
was illegal, but people were filling 55 gallon barrels and wheel barrels with
lobsters, and there was no law enforcement present. What a holiday gift from
Mother Nature for the people who gathered the lobsters! A New Bedford fisherman
told me that he hadn't heard of lobsters washing up on the beach in years! Do
any other beaches get lobsters?

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Joe Lyons
December 14th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I live in Rhode Island and I have often seen them wash up even after a
moderate storm. If the storm comes in at high tide and goes out at low
- you do better with respect to lobster finding.
The key is to get there before first light because the gulls are all
over them once the sun comes up.

Dre
December 16th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Yep, it happened here in New Brunswick also. I was told law inforcement
wasn`t really needed since the lobster would have died anyways.

Dre