PDA

View Full Version : Classic cable has no new group server

Larry Runkle
March 5th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Hey guys, I just switched over to cable internet, and have found out
that they don't have a news group server. I think this came up a while
back and I hope one of you can help me. I know I don't post much, but
I sure don't want to lose this group. Any one know how I can find
another way here. I'm posting this thru google. If you can help email
me.

Larry

Charles Summers
March 5th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Comcast doesn't host a newsserver, but they have a deal with Giganews to
provide the service for them. There wasn't much of anything to tell Comcast
user that info, but after a few calls I was able to find out how to sign up.
Check their homepage and call them to see if this may be the fact with
Classic Cable.

Also, Teranews is free and does carry r.o.f.b., but they require a credit
card to be on file (age verification more than anything), and there's a one
time fee of about $4.00. There service is pretty good as well.

Hope this helps.

"Larry Runkle" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey guys, I just switched over to cable internet, and have found out
> that they don't have a news group server. I think this came up a while
> back and I hope one of you can help me. I know I don't post much, but
> I sure don't want to lose this group. Any one know how I can find
> another way here. I'm posting this thru google. If you can help email
> me.
>
> Larry

RichZ
March 5th, 2004, 11:57 PM
news.individual.de

You need to join, but it's free and I've never had a moment's trouble with
it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Charles Summers
March 6th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Where do you sign up for this account Jerry?

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

"Jerry" > wrote in message

> The Comcast news server is netnews.comcast.net, and it does carry rofb.

Larry Runkle
March 6th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Thanks Charles and Rich, I'll check into both of them. At least for
now there is Google.

Larry

Charles Summers
March 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
I tried that with no luck. Maybe it's a regional thing... where are you
located?

--

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:43:13 -0600, "Charles Summers"
> > wrote:
>
> >Where do you sign up for this account Jerry?
>

> There is no "sign up". If you are a comcast customer, you just put the
> netnews.comcast.net (or the IP address of one of the servers) into your
news
> reader. I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with Outlook Express or any other
> news readers, so I don't know where that would be. In Agent it is under
> Options/User and System Profile/System. IP addresses for
netnews.comcast.net
> are 63.240.76.16, 204.127. 204.17, 216.148.227.77 and 204.127.199.17.

Craig Baugher
March 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Well if you see this Charles, in OE, go to tools, accounts, create new News,
add your display name, then your email, then enter netnews.comcast.net (but
on the bottom where it say "does your server require password" leave it
blank. Click Ok, and it is done.

--
Craig Baugher

Charles Summers
March 6th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Been there, done that... but I'll try it again.

--

"Craig Baugher" > wrote in message
> Well if you see this Charles, in OE, go to tools, accounts, create new
News,
> add your display name, then your email, then enter netnews.comcast.net
(but
> on the bottom where it say "does your server require password" leave it
> blank. Click Ok, and it is done.
>
> --
> Craig Baugher

Jerry Barton
March 7th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Try adding "news.giganews.comcast.net" for a server name.