PDA

View Full Version : Okuma VS-Series Reels? Any Comments?

April 26th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Hi All: I just purchased Okuma's premier spinning reel (VS Series)
model VS-55 (220 15 lbs./4:5:1) I use it with 17 lb. Berkley "Big Game"
test for Stripers up here in New England. This is a great bargain for
what I paid for it ($129.00) w/ 16 BB's, aluminum body. Also, it comes
with a 5 year warranty! I used it over the weekend & I'm super pleased
with it's performance.

I have used Penn 5500SS reels in the past & they are just ok. Owned 3
in the past 5 years & they are still with me, but in need of a
tune-ups. I heard some grumblings about Okuma's parts & service around
the Goggle groups. I own 2 Okuma "Titus" level-drag reels for Cod
fishing & they have held-up well in the past 4-5 years.

Does anybody think Okuma is getting better? Geez....for the price I
simply can't think of a better product! Yes...I wanted a Shimano
"Stella" reel but I'm not rich! $550.00 for a Stella 8000FA & my wife
would have me sleeping in a tent in the backyard!

I hope I get some good life out of this new VS-55 Okuma. It's
silky-smooth feel is like nothing I have ever owned before. Just
wondering what everyone's opinion is on Okuma & better yet, if anybody
owns the Vs line.

Regards,

Alex Moore
Magnolia, Ma.