PDA

View Full Version : GA Flatheads

Michael
April 30th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Any flathead fisherman here ? I fish this pond that has some flatheads in
it. Saw a 39 1/4lb caught a couple of weekends ago. I have tried bream for
bait but i never have any luck. What are good rigs for flatheads ? I fish at
night. Would fishing under a float a foot off the bottom or right on the
bottom be better ? How about hooking the bait. I hook them in the eyes seems
to keep them alive longer. What about goldfish, shinners ? I know flatheads
have big mouths but what size hook can you hook a goldfish,shinner with big
enough to hook a flathead and not big enough to kill the bait ? I read
flatheads hunt shallow water at night for food so i usually keep my bait
fairly close to the shore in about 3-5 feet of water. I see no visable cover
in the pond that they may be hideing out in. Maybe i just need to be more
patient. Any tips and tricks to increase my chances would be appreciated.

Mike

J Mac
May 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM
You're using the right bait(bream).But try hooking them just under the
dorsal fin.It keeps them alive AND they swim around struggling while on
the hook, which attracts the catfish. In my experience fishing on the
bottom in the deepest holes are where the big boys usually hide waiting
to ambush lunch!