PDA

View Full Version : Boat Colors - Which is Best!

Craig Baugher
March 7th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Was watching ESPN and saw a spot from Doug on boat color. Never really gave
it a lot of thought, but what he was saying made a lot of sense.

Doug stated, he reconditioned his aluminum boat and painted it a bright
yellow with black pins to make it look cool. But then he noticed his catch
ratio dropped dramatically. He thought about it, and the only thing that
changed was his boat color. He went and got some more paint and camo'ed his
boat. Afterwards his catch ratio went back to normal.

He went on to explain that fish are attracted to dark colored hulls because
they produce the best shadows, but if the sides of the boat don't blend into
the sky or background, it puts the fish on alert, or at least this is his
theory. He used underwater cameras to emphasize his point.

Ok, it's pretty easy to modify an aluminum boat, but you better know what
you want when ordering a glass boat.

So, I tried to look up the top winningest pro's and then see what color
their boats were. From the very few I could match up, white was the most
common color.

Based on Doug's theory, the best boat would be a black hull, with camo
sides. But have you ever saw a camo colored glass boat. The closest I came
was going to Ranger's website and creating a black hull, duck beige & green
boat. But I think a black bottom, white boat should work well, and then if
you as an angler wore beige, white, power blue clothing, it would only help.

I have to ask, what do you think of Doug's theory. Because the BFL Angler of
the Year in Michigan drives a Red Metal Flake boat (hull, sides, top, and
carpeting. Everything is red)?

--
Craig Baugher

Charles Summers
March 7th, 2004, 04:12 AM
I think when you fish deeper water, it doesn't matter. White seems to be the
most dominate around here though.

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

"Craig Baugher" > wrote in message
> Was watching ESPN and saw a spot from Doug on boat color. Never really
gave
> it a lot of thought, but what he was saying made a lot of sense.
>
> Doug stated, he reconditioned his aluminum boat and painted it a bright
> yellow with black pins to make it look cool. But then he noticed his
catch
> ratio dropped dramatically. He thought about it, and the only thing that
> changed was his boat color. He went and got some more paint and camo'ed
his
> boat. Afterwards his catch ratio went back to normal.
>
> He went on to explain that fish are attracted to dark colored hulls
because
> they produce the best shadows, but if the sides of the boat don't blend
into
> the sky or background, it puts the fish on alert, or at least this is his
> theory. He used underwater cameras to emphasize his point.
>
> Ok, it's pretty easy to modify an aluminum boat, but you better know what
> you want when ordering a glass boat.
>
> So, I tried to look up the top winningest pro's and then see what color
> their boats were. From the very few I could match up, white was the most
> common color.
>
> Based on Doug's theory, the best boat would be a black hull, with camo
> sides. But have you ever saw a camo colored glass boat. The closest I
came
> was going to Ranger's website and creating a black hull, duck beige &
green
> boat. But I think a black bottom, white boat should work well, and then
if
> you as an angler wore beige, white, power blue clothing, it would only
help.

> I have to ask, what do you think of Doug's theory. Because the BFL Angler
of
> the Year in Michigan drives a Red Metal Flake boat (hull, sides, top, and
> carpeting. Everything is red)?
>
> --
> Craig Baugher

Andrew Kidd
March 7th, 2004, 01:02 PM
"Craig Baugher" > wrote in message
<SNIP>
> I have to ask, what do you think of Doug's theory. Because the BFL Angler
of
> the Year in Michigan drives a Red Metal Flake boat (hull, sides, top, and
> carpeting. Everything is red)?

I 'm not sure what I think of his theory. I've fished out of a green boat
with grey bottom for 10+ years. This new boat I bought, I based the color
on one criteria. Keeping me cooler in 90+ degree weather. Bought a white
boat with green accents. White hull, because it matched the rest of the
boat. Lt grey carpet, cause I didn't think white carpert was a good idea
(and they didn't offer it...) :-)

If you have any question on the difference white makes, wait til the sun is
beating down and it's hot outside. Put your hand on a colored vehicle
(almost any color), then place it on a white vehicle. The difference is
startling...
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Suthern Transplant
March 7th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Craig,

I saw the same spot which fascinated me...

I posted to a news group (3 or 4 months ago) which Doug Hannon is one of the
experts on a panel in hopes of getting a reply from him along the same lines
of this show.

Doug wrote an article some 20 years ago for one of the fishing magazines
back then, (can't remember which one) where he experimented with hull color.

He painted his boat's aluminum hull to a mottled sky color (blues, whites
and somewhat choppy from wave interference). He reasoned that from his vast
scuba divng experiences to observe bass behavior, that when observing his
own hull that it would be smart to paint the hull to emulate the sky to fool
the bass into thinking the boat was not there.

Craig, I believe that he is on to something and very much respect his
opinions.

Regards,

Suthern

"Craig Baugher" > wrote in message
> Was watching ESPN and saw a spot from Doug on boat color. Never really
gave
> it a lot of thought, but what he was saying made a lot of sense.
>
> Doug stated, he reconditioned his aluminum boat and painted it a bright
> yellow with black pins to make it look cool. But then he noticed his
catch
> ratio dropped dramatically. He thought about it, and the only thing that
> changed was his boat color. He went and got some more paint and camo'ed
his
> boat. Afterwards his catch ratio went back to normal.
>
> He went on to explain that fish are attracted to dark colored hulls
because
> they produce the best shadows, but if the sides of the boat don't blend
into
> the sky or background, it puts the fish on alert, or at least this is his
> theory. He used underwater cameras to emphasize his point.
> I have to ask, what do you think of Doug's theory. Because the BFL Angler
of
> the Year in Michigan drives a Red Metal Flake boat (hull, sides, top, and
> carpeting. Everything is red)?
>
> --
> Craig Baugher

Dale Coleman
March 8th, 2004, 12:38 AM
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:27:10 GMT, "Craig Baugher" >
wrote:

>Was watching ESPN and saw a spot from Doug on boat color. Never really gave
>it a lot of thought, but what he was saying made a lot of sense.

Hi all, what color are fish? Most tend to have a light bottom with
darker sides.

What color is a gator? They feed on fish and have a white bottom with
dark sides and top. That might tell you something.

I do a lot of kayak and canoe fishing and own three boats. The kayak
is all off white but it has a very low profile with little white above
the water line. I have had some very close hookups from this boat.

My canoe is solid dark green and I have had fish swim into the bottom
in dark bottom lakes.

My third boat is a camo gelcoat Gheenoe. It also catches fish.

What is best? I think it has a lot to do with the time of day and
color of the bottom. When I go inshore salt water fishing over sandy
bottoms I would have to give the edge to the white kayak.

In darker bottom lakes it seems the green canoe might have the edge.

One thing I try to avoid is wearing white shirts when I fish. I'm
certain that white above the water line is not good except maybe on a
bright overcast day.

It would be interesting if anybody has done any real research on this.

Later, DC

>Doug stated, he reconditioned his aluminum boat and painted it a bright
>yellow with black pins to make it look cool. But then he noticed his catch
>ratio dropped dramatically. He thought about it, and the only thing that
>changed was his boat color. He went and got some more paint and camo'ed his
>boat. Afterwards his catch ratio went back to normal.
>
>He went on to explain that fish are attracted to dark colored hulls because
>they produce the best shadows, but if the sides of the boat don't blend into
>the sky or background, it puts the fish on alert, or at least this is his
>theory. He used underwater cameras to emphasize his point.
>
>Ok, it's pretty easy to modify an aluminum boat, but you better know what
>you want when ordering a glass boat.
>
>So, I tried to look up the top winningest pro's and then see what color
>their boats were. From the very few I could match up, white was the most
>common color.
>
>Based on Doug's theory, the best boat would be a black hull, with camo
>sides. But have you ever saw a camo colored glass boat. The closest I came
>was going to Ranger's website and creating a black hull, duck beige & green
>boat. But I think a black bottom, white boat should work well, and then if
>you as an angler wore beige, white, power blue clothing, it would only help.
>
>I have to ask, what do you think of Doug's theory. Because the BFL Angler of
>the Year in Michigan drives a Red Metal Flake boat (hull, sides, top, and
>carpeting. Everything is red)?

--
Dale Colemam

J Buck
March 8th, 2004, 02:00 AM
<a bright overcast day>

?

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
March 8th, 2004, 02:33 AM
"J Buck" > wrote in message
> <a bright overcast day>
>
> ?

Not to be confused with a dark, sunny day. :)
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

J Buck
March 8th, 2004, 02:53 AM
<a bright overcast day>

<?>

<Not to be confused with a dark, sunny day. :)>

Ohhhhh...thanks for 'clearing' that up

Dale Coleman
March 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:00:07 -0500 (EST), (J Buck)
wrote:

><a bright overcast day>
>
>?

Come on now, this was a good thread until you got goofy on me.

What I meant by bright overcast is thiner higher ceiling that lets a
lot of light in. Not at all the same as a dark low ceiling like what
you get just before a storm rolls in.

Maybe I should have used the words light overcast. It would be one of
those days you would want to wear sun glasses but everthing has a
bright white look to it.

Is this clear enough?

Later, DC
--
Dale Colemam

Craig Baugher
March 8th, 2004, 12:49 PM
DC, The boys were just having fun. The same way, they would, if we were
all gathered around a table sharing coffee or a beer.

--
Craig Baugher

Fritz Nordengren
March 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Two thoughts on this: practical and theoritical

Practical: Light colors will stay cool -- which is good for comfort --
and depending on the resin used in the mfg of your fiberglass boat --
may be necessary. Epoxy resins begin to soften at 129degrees F -- so a
dark color on a hot day could soften the epoxy enough to show some print
through of the fiberglass. Polyester resins soften at a higher temp.

Also, the metal flake or glitter in finishes helps the mfg hide minor
imperfections in the final finish, as do lighter colors. A dark color
realy emphasises any imperfections.

Theoretical: Considering a fish's angle of vision and that fish tend to
"see" / "feel" with their lateral lines -- I think the noise the of that
18 foot Ranger with a 63 lb Thurst trolling motor will do more to spook
the fish than a gaudy paint scheme.

Course, a while back didn't some on suggest painting the bottom of the
boat to look like a school of shad?

RichZ
March 9th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Fritz wrote:
> Course, a while back didn't some on suggest painting the bottom of the
> boat to look like a school of shad?

Actually, that was another of Hannon's theories. Methinks Doug may spend
too much time worrying about what the bottom of his boat looks like.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Steve & Chris Clark
March 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Since using my under water camera I have concluded that position of the boat
and sun in relation to the shadow that is cast of the boat is more of a
concern.
When camouflaging an aeroplane they consider many things and each different
application requires a different "camo outfit". Arctic, desert mountain,
jungle for instance. The best hull color would be clear, just so you could
use it on cloudy or sunny or those bluebird days in stained or clear or
those in between types of water clarity. Fish are looking upwards so what
they should see is sky. (Nothing) An unobstructed view of the sky is what
we are talking about here. A light blue with a cloud pattern may be the best
gamble.18% grey is neutral. Windy days would lessen the importance of hull
color were as on still calm days hull color would be more an issue. A hull
with changeable holographic hull skin graphics soon at a dealer near you
LOL! What would that cost!!???
Back to the underwater camera for a second, I have seen bass and baitfish
travel with the shadow of the boat during mid day sun, for the same reason
that bass will relate to mats and other cover providing shade??? Sometimes
the nearest fish are just below the boat. Just the facts as I have observed
them. The use of your shadow can be advantage and disadvantage.
--
Stony

"Craig Baugher" > wrote in message
> Was watching ESPN and saw a spot from Doug on boat color. Never really
gave
> it a lot of thought, but what he was saying made a lot of sense.
>
> Doug stated, he reconditioned his aluminum boat and painted it a bright
> yellow with black pins to make it look cool. But then he noticed his
catch
> ratio dropped dramatically. He thought about it, and the only thing that
> changed was his boat color. He went and got some more paint and camo'ed
his
> boat. Afterwards his catch ratio went back to normal.
>
> He went on to explain that fish are attracted to dark colored hulls
because
> they produce the best shadows, but if the sides of the boat don't blend
into
> the sky or background, it puts the fish on alert, or at least this is his
> theory. He used underwater cameras to emphasize his point.
>
> Ok, it's pretty easy to modify an aluminum boat, but you better know what
> you want when ordering a glass boat.
>
> So, I tried to look up the top winningest pro's and then see what color
> their boats were. From the very few I could match up, white was the most
> common color.
>
> Based on Doug's theory, the best boat would be a black hull, with camo
> sides. But have you ever saw a camo colored glass boat. The closest I
came
> was going to Ranger's website and creating a black hull, duck beige &
green
> boat. But I think a black bottom, white boat should work well, and then
if
> you as an angler wore beige, white, power blue clothing, it would only
help.

> I have to ask, what do you think of Doug's theory. Because the BFL Angler
of
> the Year in Michigan drives a Red Metal Flake boat (hull, sides, top, and
> carpeting. Everything is red)?
>
> --
> Craig Baugher

---

Craig Baugher
March 13th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I swear I saw something on the History Channel about a skin the Military is
developing that displays what appears on its opposite side (left, right,
front, back) making it (M1A1 Tank was used as the example) virtually
invisible even though it is heading right for you. They only thing you saw
was a slight wavy outline of the tank were the display was changing from the
front view to the side view.

I believe they reported snipers (Navy Seals) personnel was already using
this technology. Pretty scary!!! But it would be cool to have on a boat!!!

--
Craig Baugher

Andrew Kidd
March 13th, 2004, 10:25 PM
> I swear I saw something on the History Channel about a skin the Military
is
> developing that displays what appears on its opposite side (left, right,
> front, back) making it (M1A1 Tank was used as the example) virtually
> invisible even though it is heading right for you. They only thing you
saw
> was a slight wavy outline of the tank were the display was changing from
the
> front view to the side view.
>
> I believe they reported snipers (Navy Seals) personnel was already using
> this technology. Pretty scary!!! But it would be cool to have on a
boat!!!

Read something about this in Wired Magazine:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/pwr_invisible.html

Pretty cool, but still a good ways off...

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!
http://www.rofb.net/ - ROFB Newsgroup Home

J Buck
March 14th, 2004, 01:50 AM
<I swear I saw something on the History Channel about a skin the
Military is developing that displays what appears on its opposite side
(left, right, front, back) making it (M1A1 Tank was used as the example)
virtually invisible even though it is heading right for you. They only
thing you saw was a slight wavy outline of the tank were the display was
changing from the front view to the side view>

That technology (albeit fictional) was used in the last "Bond...James
Bond" movie 'Die Another Day'

Richard g
March 14th, 2004, 01:07 PM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:50:04 -0500 (EST), (J Buck)
wrote:

><I swear I saw something on the History Channel about a skin the
>Military is developing that displays what appears on its opposite side
>(left, right, front, back) making it (M1A1 Tank was used as the example)
>virtually invisible even though it is heading right for you. They only
>thing you saw was a slight wavy outline of the tank were the display was
>changing from the front view to the side view>
>
>That technology (albeit fictional) was used in the last "Bond...James
>Bond" movie 'Die Another Day'

Don't forget Arnold's Predator.
Richard g
www.bassstalkers.com

Steve & Chris Clark
March 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM
oh boy!......casting from the holo-deck here we come, set in a course for
Lake Mead ..... ENGAGE!! ;-))
--
Stony

"Craig Baugher" > wrote in message
> I swear I saw something on the History Channel about a skin the Military
is
> developing that displays what appears on its opposite side (left, right,
> front, back) making it (M1A1 Tank was used as the example) virtually
> invisible even though it is heading right for you. They only thing you
saw
> was a slight wavy outline of the tank were the display was changing from
the
> front view to the side view.
>
> I believe they reported snipers (Navy Seals) personnel was already using
> this technology. Pretty scary!!! But it would be cool to have on a
boat!!!

> --
> Craig Baugher

---

Calif Bill
March 15th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Best color is 1978 Fiat Burgandy with an aluminum bottom. Just like my
boat.
Bill