PDA

View Full Version : Another Classic Question

pat gustafson
March 7th, 2004, 10:14 PM
I'm no boater, (even when I have one....) and have read the questions
about the wind, radios, 'gators, etc., but haven't seen any on Manatees.
I thought that these could be a hazard on the big O. Of course, I
haven't lived in Florida in over 20 years, so things may have changed.

pat

Lamar Middleton
March 8th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Yes, there are manatees in Lake Okeechobee. I have seen them in the Kissimmee
River and in the Caloosahatchee River. I usually see some in a canal that runs
a bridge on Highway 78. They have come right up to the boat so we could pet
them.

I'm sure you will see them in other areas of the lake but I have never
encountered them out in the lake itself. I don't consider them a hazard - we
are hazard to them.
Lamar Middleton
Winter Haven, FL