PDA

View Full Version : Good site for IDing fish?

Mark
May 3rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Hey, does anyone know a good site with lots of images for identifying Aus
fish? Particularly NSW coastal.

Also, is there any other names for Mowong or is this the most commonly used
name?

Thanks...

Lindsay
May 3rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Mark wrote:

> Hey, does anyone know a good site with lots of images for identifying Aus
> fish? Particularly NSW coastal.

Sorry, cant help you there...

> Also, is there any other names for Mowong or is this the most commonly used
> name?

Correct name is Morwong. Normally called a "mowie".. but morwong will
do. Sometimes sold in shops as 'Sea Bream'.
I caught a couple of silver morwong at Narooma a couple of months ago..
Great sport on an eggbeater, very similar to snapper.

Regards

Lindsay

--
Scrap the 00 to post direct.

"We all should present legal cars. I'm embarrassed we've presented a car
that's ineligible." Mark Skaife, Chief Sook, HRT.12/11/04 (It must hurt
to say illegal!)

'Speed limit near schools lowered to 40 grams per student' - CNNNN

Mark
May 4th, 2005, 02:45 PM
"Lindsay" > wrote in message

> Mark wrote:
> >
> > Hey, does anyone know a good site with lots of images for identifying
Aus
> > fish? Particularly NSW coastal.
>
> Sorry, cant help you there...
> >
> > Also, is there any other names for Mowong or is this the most commonly
used
> > name?
>
> Correct name is Morwong. Normally called a "mowie".. but morwong will
> do. Sometimes sold in shops as 'Sea Bream'.
> I caught a couple of silver morwong at Narooma a couple of months ago..
> Great sport on an eggbeater, very similar to snapper.

thanks!

> Regards
>
> Lindsay
>

> --
> Scrap the 00 to post direct.
>
> "We all should present legal cars. I'm embarrassed we've presented a car
> that's ineligible." Mark Skaife, Chief Sook, HRT.12/11/04 (It must hurt
> to say illegal!)
>
> 'Speed limit near schools lowered to 40 grams per student' - CNNNN

Andrew Gabb
May 7th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Try
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=D2C48F86-BA1A-11A1-A2200060B0A00924

(you may have to reconstruct the link)

The pics are B&W and not that good, but it's better than nothing. A

--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia

May 7th, 2005, 10:50 AM
For New South Wales fishes, and indeed much of Australia, you could go
to the Australian Museum Fish website at
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/. Click on 'Find a fish' and then
choose by type of fish. You'll see a heading for Morwongs.

Have fun.

Markmcg

Andrew Gabb
May 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for this, but the site is rather patchy and their 'common'
names list is rather short. Couldn't even find slimy mackerel.

Somewhere else to look though. A