PDA

View Full Version : My First Flathead of the Season.

Pepperoni
May 5th, 2005, 03:54 PM
It is still a few weeks early for prime time flatheads, but they are
beginning to move up the river.

Frost warning last night. Temp at dawn was 35-40 degrees. I didn't care, I
couldn't wait any longer. I took a single flathead within 5 minutes and no
more action for 2 hours.
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/2005firstflathead.jpg
The healthy fish was strong, even in the cold water. Taken on a hot dog
slice in 6 feet of water in a still pool below a wall dam.

My pictures from last year are dated the last week of May. I expect the
fishing to improve steadily as the water warms.

Pepperoni

Hershel Eacret
May 5th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Pepperoni wrote:
> It is still a few weeks early for prime time flatheads, but they are
> beginning to move up the river.
>
> Frost warning last night. Temp at dawn was 35-40 degrees. I didn't care, I
> couldn't wait any longer. I took a single flathead within 5 minutes and no
> more action for 2 hours.
> http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/2005firstflathead.jpg
> The healthy fish was strong, even in the cold water. Taken on a hot dog
> slice in 6 feet of water in a still pool below a wall dam.
>
> My pictures from last year are dated the last week of May. I expect the
> fishing to improve steadily as the water warms.
>
> Pepperoni

looks like a channel catfish to me? What do you think people.

DwayneinBonanza

<a
href="http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=1428&amp;t=1">Get
Firefox!</a>

Rodney
May 6th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hershel Eacret wrote:

> looks like a channel catfish to me? What do you think people.

Yep,, plus, no self respecting flat head will hit a hot dog,
They must have something moving, they don't eat dead crap, like all
other cats do.
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Rodney
May 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Michael wrote:
> I caught this one on some cat tracker shrimp dip bait in the early fall last
> year. Guess it didnt have any self respect.

Not a dang bit of respect, it's one of them slim eating flat heads,,
those that all other flat heads won't even speak to. If you want to
greatly increase your flat head catch, go to "live" bait, it's only a
few of them flat heads that will hit rotten sh#t, all of them will hit
live bait.

Use blue gills about the size of your hand for bait, a three pound flat
head will even hit a bait that large.

I have a few friends that will use live channel cat fish up to two lbs
for flat head bait. That's probably how you caught that one, a small
channel hit the stink bait first, then the flat head nailed the channel
as you were reeling it in.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

DJ Code
May 10th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Pepperoni wrote:
> It is still a few weeks early for prime time flatheads, but they are
> beginning to move up the river.
>
> Frost warning last night. Temp at dawn was 35-40 degrees. I didn't care, I
> couldn't wait any longer. I took a single flathead within 5 minutes and no
> more action for 2 hours.
> http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/2005firstflathead.jpg
> The healthy fish was strong, even in the cold water. Taken on a hot dog
> slice in 6 feet of water in a still pool below a wall dam.
>
> My pictures from last year are dated the last week of May. I expect the
> fishing to improve steadily as the water warms.
>
> Pepperoni

icun onely cathc flarheds on oscermayer balonie if it s been socged
in spegettiOs overnight.works best wif #3 twreble huks and if uz leve
the paper on th outsideit.in foot a waterat hi noon.i here if ya
holows out them ween ers and
puts a huk on both ends they make a helluva bassin lore to

Pepperoni
May 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
"DJ Code" > wrote in message
> > http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/2005firstflathead.jpg
> >

> icun onely cathc flarheds on oscermayer balonie if it s been socged
> in spegettiOs overnight.works best wif #3 twreble huks and if uz leve
> the paper on th outsideit.in foot a waterat hi noon.i here if ya
> holows out them ween ers and
> puts a huk on both ends they make a helluva bassin lore to

No one will believe you unless you post a picture. If they do believe you
they will say it was really a dogfish or gar.

Best you just tell everyone you were using "wurms dipped over night in lime
flavored jello". They may believe you if you can keep a straight face.

Caught about 40 of 'em last year in May, too. Same spot, same bait.
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/flathead.htm
Not bad for a 6' one piece ultralight rod. (I cheated, 24# spiderwire)

I won't tell what I catch carp with. People might laugh.
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/earlymorncarp.jpg

Pepperoni
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/gonefishin02.htm