PDA

View Full Version : Uptide rod

michael musgrave
May 17th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Hi, any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or buying. I have fished
of various beaches for many years, and this is new to me. Will a decent
fixed spool work better than a multiplier for uptiding? Any information will
be much appreciated, thanks and tight lines.

Ian Hooksem
May 18th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Michael
I dont think we 'uptide' off the beach; I think it is only a boat thing. But
assuming you know this......

A F/S reel needs to be big to be up to sea catches. In the early days of
uptiding I used a huge fixed spool reel effectively, but 10 years ago I
swapped to an Abu multiplier - and now would not use anything else.

More important than the reel, IMO, is the rod. Uptide casting from a boat is
in a confined space - you need to be competant to cast away from the boat
safely, avoiding other people and their lines. A rod with good casting
ability will help you do this.
Ian

"michael musgrave" > wrote in message
> Hi, any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or buying. I have
> fished
> of various beaches for many years, and this is new to me. Will a decent
> fixed spool work better than a multiplier for uptiding? Any information
> will
> be much appreciated, thanks and tight lines.

Keith M
May 18th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Michael
Fixed spools offer an easy cast with a small swing - more of a flick,
especialy if space is tight.
You dont have to get a spool spinning either so less effort espec. with
lighter weights and no Birdies either.
A man sized reel is as good as a milti and easier to use in this
application.
Keith M
"michael musgrave" > wrote in message
> Hi, any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or buying. I have
> fished
> of various beaches for many years, and this is new to me. Will a decent
> fixed spool work better than a multiplier for uptiding? Any information
> will
> be much appreciated, thanks and tight lines.

Ian Hooksem
May 18th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I agree - I had forgotten the probs in learning to cast with a multi.
Should get a f/s to learn with!
Ian

"Keith M" > wrote in message
> Michael
> Fixed spools offer an easy cast with a small swing - more of a flick,
> especialy if space is tight.
> You dont have to get a spool spinning either so less effort espec. with
> lighter weights and no Birdies either.
> A man sized reel is as good as a milti and easier to use in this
> application.
> Keith M
> "michael musgrave" > wrote in message
>> Hi, any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or buying. I have
>> fished
>> of various beaches for many years, and this is new to me. Will a decent
>> fixed spool work better than a multiplier for uptiding? Any information
>> will
>> be much appreciated, thanks and tight lines.

michael musgrave
May 18th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Hi again,

I have a few decent big fixed spools to see me through the
day, any suggestions on a responsive uptide rod that I could buy. We are
holding a boat competition that is basically a species hunt. As I said
previously I have many years experience in fishing off the beach and also a
little wrecking experience. Uptiding is a totally new concept to me. Thanks
to all that have replied.

Dave
May 21st, 2005, 01:45 AM
Hi

I can recommend the Abu Conolon rod or if money no object the Suveron rod

Both very good rods and will handle most fish in the uk.

Dave

"michael musgrave" > wrote in message
> Hi again,
>
> I have a few decent big fixed spools to see me through the
> day, any suggestions on a responsive uptide rod that I could buy. We are
> holding a boat competition that is basically a species hunt. As I said
> previously I have many years experience in fishing off the beach and also
> little wrecking experience. Uptiding is a totally new concept to me.
> Thanks
> to all that have replied.

Ian Hooksem
May 23rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
I agree the Abu rods Dave names - both get a good press in our club; as do
ZZiplex and Conoflex of course.
For cheaper alternatives, look at shimano beastmaster. I have used its
predecessor - the twin power - for 3 years now, and it has been a good,
adaptable rod; presume the beastmaster would be good or better.
Ian

"michael musgrave" > wrote in message
> Hi, any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or buying. I have
> fished
> of various beaches for many years, and this is new to me. Will a decent
> fixed spool work better than a multiplier for uptiding? Any information
> will
> be much appreciated, thanks and tight lines.

Keith M
May 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
The great thing often overlooked with uptide rods is that with their longer
length they can also be used as down tide rods - not for wrecking but for
drifft fishing and at anchor.
When anchored and even if you draw a bad position away from the stern you
can fish past all the rest of the rods "trotting" your gear way down tide
whilst the rest are going more or less straight up and down
Keith M

"Ian Hooksem" > wrote in message
>I agree the Abu rods Dave names - both get a good press in our club; as do
>ZZiplex and Conoflex of course.
> For cheaper alternatives, look at shimano beastmaster. I have used its
> predecessor - the twin power - for 3 years now, and it has been a good,
> adaptable rod; presume the beastmaster would be good or better.
> Ian
>
> "michael musgrave" > wrote in message
>> Hi, any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or buying. I have
>> fished
>> of various beaches for many years, and this is new to me. Will a decent
>> fixed spool work better than a multiplier for uptiding? Any information
>> will
>> be much appreciated, thanks and tight lines.

Steve Smith
May 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Obviously you don't fish in the Bristol Channel as sometimes we have to
uptide off the beach.

"Ian Hooksem" > wrote in message
> Michael
> I dont think we 'uptide' off the beach; I think it is only a boat thing.
But
> assuming you know this......
>
> A F/S reel needs to be big to be up to sea catches. In the early days of
> uptiding I used a huge fixed spool reel effectively, but 10 years ago I
> swapped to an Abu multiplier - and now would not use anything else.
>
> More important than the reel, IMO, is the rod. Uptide casting from a boat
is
> in a confined space - you need to be competant to cast away from the boat
> safely, avoiding other people and their lines. A rod with good casting
> ability will help you do this.
> Ian
>
> "michael musgrave" > wrote in message
> > Hi, any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or buying. I have
> > fished
> > of various beaches for many years, and this is new to me. Will a decent
> > fixed spool work better than a multiplier for uptiding? Any information
> > will
> > be much appreciated, thanks and tight lines.

Keith M
May 28th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Steve
Good point - I started my sea fishing at WsM and also had my first 2 boats
there.
The lessons learnd have stood me in good-sted ever since.
Keith M