PDA

View Full Version : Bonita Beach FL Fishing Report 5/30/2005

Yellowchaser
May 31st, 2005, 07:34 AM
[image: http://www.hookandsinker.com/reports/subforum_old.gif]*10 lb.
gag, spanish, lanes & a hog: bonita beach, sw fl
*i fished monday about 17 miles west of new pass, with live shrimp. we
caught twenty nice lane snapper, some spanish mackerel 22 to 24 inches,
triggerfish, jolthead porgies, and released lots of grouper in the
19-20 inch range.

fishing the edison reef and a small ledge in about 40 feet tuesday, we
caught keeper mangrove snapper, triggerfish and porkfish, and released
numerous grouper 19 to 21 inches.

i fished thursday at the reefs. we had hoped to go after tarpon, but
the winds were up, and there were too many white caps on the water. we
caught spanish mackerel and mangrove snapper, and released gag shorts,
along with a 3 foot sharp nose shark.

friday, i fished the reefs, using live shrimp. we caught keeper
mangrove snapper, triggerfish, and a hogfish. we also released about
fifty keeper-sized spanish mackerel, short grouper, and an 8½ foot
nurse shark.

fishing in 38 feet off new pass saturday, we caught a ten pound gag
grouper on a blue runner, keeper lane snapper and triggerfish, and
released short gag and red grouper, caught on live shrimp and pinfish.
we were broken off a couple of times by kings.

the photo shown is of a 28 inch gag grouper, caught on a recent
offshore trip.

[image: http://www.hookandsinker.com/reports/subforum_old.gif]
*redfish, permit, yellowtail, kings, amberjack: bonita beach, sw fl
*i fished central estero bay monday, around the oyster bars. we had a
good success with live shrimp, and caught three keeper-sized redfish,
two at 24 inches (photo attached) and one at 20 inches, a 20 inch
permit, and an 18 inch sheepshead. we released the 20 inch red, along
with small snook, snapper, jack cravalle, and a leopard ray.

with winds and seas high tuesday and wednesday, i stayed in port, but i
fished offshore on thursday. we caught keeper mangrove snapper to 15
inches, triggerfish and porkfish, using live shrimp. we released
grouper shorts, long with a 20 pound goliath grouper, which bit a blue
runner.

fishing in 40 feet off new pass friday with carl & susan baker, son
matthew, and daughter anna, we caught keeper yellowtail and mangrove
snapper, and two king mackerels, 25 inches and 30 inches. we released
lots of spanish mackerel and a few smaller kings.

saturday, there was a slow tide and slow bite, when i fished about 17
miles west of new pass. we caught keeper yellowtail and mangrove
snapper, and released grunts, short red grouper and spanish mackerel,
along with a 40 inch sharpnose shark.

sunday, i fished about 26 miles west of new pass. the group was looking
for some excitement, such as goliaths, so we targeted those, and fought
six of them, wrestling two to the top. one was about 150 pounds, and
the other well over 200 pounds, estimated at 225. we photographed the
biggest one before releasing. we also caught several banded rudder fish
(lesser amberjack), and in fact, it was one of those that served as
bait for the big goliath. the other goliath bit a blue runner. using
live shrimp, we caught keeper mangrove snapper and porkfish, and a
decent sized king mackerel, whose carcass measured 25 inches, minus the
tail that was eaten by a barracuda on the way up.

--
Yellowchaser
Yellowchaser's Profile: http://www.hookandsinker.com/forum/member.php?userid=22

NOYB
June 6th, 2005, 04:07 AM
"Yellowchaser" > wrote in
message ...

> [...]
> miles west of new pass. we caught keeper yellowtail and mangrove
> snapper, and released grunts, short red grouper and spanish mackerel,
> along with a 40 inch sharpnose shark.
>
> sunday, i fished about 26 miles west of new pass. the group was looking
> for some excitement, such as goliaths, so we targeted those, and fought
> six of them, wrestling two to the top. one was about 150 pounds, and
> the other well over 200 pounds, estimated at 225. we photographed the
> biggest one before releasing. we also caught several banded rudder fish
> (lesser amberjack), and in fact, it was one of those that served as
> bait for the big goliath. the other goliath bit a blue runner. using
> live shrimp, we caught keeper mangrove snapper and porkfish, and a
> decent sized king mackerel, whose carcass measured 25 inches, minus the
> tail that was eaten by a barracuda on the way up.

Thank you Fishbuster Dave!