PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 5/31/05

Capt Gene Kelly
May 31st, 2005, 11:52 AM
5/31/05

Imagine this: Crappy weather all week followed by great weather for a three
day weekend. It's hard to believe that I'm talking about Montauk. Usually it's
the other way around. This time of the year when I drive down the hill into
the village from the west I get a kick about seeing all the boats fluking on
the south side. On Saturday it looked like very boat in the harbor was out
there, and all spread out as far as Frisbies.

The striped bass fishing picked up right where it left off before the little
northeaster. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the fluke. It was slow
the first day that everybody got out, but that was to be expected. The
consensus was that it would take a couple of days for the great fishing that
we enjoyed before the blow to resume. Wrong! It's still pretty picky, and it
may be that the best of the doormat, spring fishing is over, and now the
normal summer fishing will take over. Another sign that that is what is
happening is that there are fish in the rips now, not just on the southside.

I haven't heard much about seabass, but, and I'm hesitant to mention this, I
also haven't heard about any doggie problems, unlike the past couple of
years. Maybe we'll luck out this year.

There's another Yankee rivalry taking place this month, and it ain't with
Boston, but rather with England. It's the Steve Sloan Memorial "Brits vs
Yanks" shark tournament. It's taken place each June over the past couple of
years, and is set up with two anglers per boat, one Brit and one Yank, with
as many as 8-10 boats. Points are awarded for each shark caught, all on
thirty pound tackle, and at the end of the three days fishing one team wins
and one loses. Steve Sloan was the Yank team captain, and the man behind the
whole thing. Unfortunately Steve passed away this past winter, and without
him to put together a Yankee team, there are now too many bad guys and not
enough good guys. The cost is $2500/angler, and that includes three days
fishing, two anglers to a boat (one Brit & one Yank), four nights in the
Montauk Yacht Club, a captains dinner the night before the tournament
starts, an awards dinner the last evening of the tournament, breakfast and
lunches on the boat. Unlike most shark tournaments, this one is an all
release format, with no big money prizes. If you are interested, contact
Captain Joe McBride at 631 329 0973.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

--

Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - 800 377 1197