PDA

View Full Version : Bass as bait/forage?

G. M. Zimmermann
March 16th, 2004, 08:25 PM
There is a small lake near my home I fish alot. It has tons of small
Largemouth bass (8 to 14 inches). It also has some nice size tiger musky. I
think the Fish commission stocked the Tiger Musky to controll the bass and
sunfish population. Do Tiger Muskies eat small bass? If so, would a bass
colored lure be effective on Musky? Just wondering these weird things while
its snowing (again). Maybe someday it will actually be good weather for
fishing, but I'm not counting on it.

-Zimmy

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
March 16th, 2004, 08:58 PM
"G. M. Zimmermann" > wrote in message
> There is a small lake near my home I fish alot. It has tons of small
> Largemouth bass (8 to 14 inches). It also has some nice size tiger musky.
> think the Fish commission stocked the Tiger Musky to controll the bass and
> sunfish population. Do Tiger Muskies eat small bass? If so, would a bass
> colored lure be effective on Musky? Just wondering these weird things
while
> its snowing (again). Maybe someday it will actually be good weather for
> fishing, but I'm not counting on it.

Muskies will eat small bass, heck, muskies will eat larger bass too if they
can fit them in their mouth!

Bass colored lures can be very effective on muskies. Secret Weapon now
makes a spinnerbait in "Baby Bass" color that I'm thinking will be very
effective on toothy critters, especially in clearer water lakes.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Richard Liebert
March 18th, 2004, 01:53 AM
I saw a Tiger Musky chomp down on a large, maybe 2-3LB SM, on the surface a
few years ago on Lake Nockamixon, PA. It ripped it apart.

Tigers will follow the lure to the boat and hit at the last second. My
advice is to retrieve the lure right to the boat, then swirl it around a
little, maybe drag it in a circle once before pulling it out of the water.
Hold onto your rod when the line is short.

I've also noticed then looking at me during the fight occasionally. Creepy!

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" > wrote in
message ...