PDA

View Full Version : Fishing around Whitby.

chris
June 13th, 2005, 05:57 AM
I've got to go to Staithes, near Whitby, for a weeks holiday in
August, and am being told to arrange a days fishing for myself! It's
a tough life, but someone has to do it.

Can anyone recommend any good charter boats in the area that cater for
individual holiday anglers, but that do serious fishing? I don't
want a tourist's special mackerel trip. I don't know whether or
not I'll take my own gear as yet so I may also need to hire tackle
for the day.

Also can anyone recommend any good places to go spinning from the
shore? When's the best time to go, high water, low water, etc?

TIA.

Chris.

seaside
June 13th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Chris,

There are loads of good charter boats in Whitby to
get started try looking at
http://www.seaangler.com/Seaangler_Boat%20WY.html.

As for spinning, try the west pier at whitby,
evening high tides for mackerel, odd coley and
pollack.

Have fun

chris wrote:
> I've got to go to Staithes, near Whitby, for a weeks holiday in
> August, and am being told to arrange a days fishing for myself! It's
> a tough life, but someone has to do it.
>
> Can anyone recommend any good charter boats in the area that cater for
> individual holiday anglers, but that do serious fishing? I don't
> want a tourist's special mackerel trip. I don't know whether or
> not I'll take my own gear as yet so I may also need to hire tackle
> for the day.
>
> Also can anyone recommend any good places to go spinning from the
> shore? When's the best time to go, high water, low water, etc?
>
> TIA.
>
> Chris.

chris
June 15th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks.

I was already aware of this.

What I'm looking for is any personal recommendations as to which of
these boats, or others to go for, i.e. who provides good quality trips,
not who's the cheapest.

Also who provides quality bait and tackle, e.g. braid not mono?

Cliff
July 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Charter boats wont provide braid.
You need 50lb gear,1lb to 1 1/2lb pirks with rippers on ( 2 large hooks
rather than trebles) & a set of good large hokkais above the pirk. Bait the
rippers with squid or mackerel but not the hokkais. Ling are on the bottom
in the rough ground & take the bait & codling are just above to get the
Hokkais. Most of the charter boats are OK as they have to be to get the
custom but when you get there take a walk along the pontoon to see what gear
the different boats are providing the anglers with. While you are
there,"ask",you will get first hand info on boats skippers & catches.

--
Cliff.

Sea Anglers Have "BIGGER" Tackle.

..