PDA

View Full Version : hitch question

RB
June 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Got a trailer with an 18' ProLine, 135hp o/b, and 20 gal fuel tank sitting
on it.

It has a 2" hitch. I'd like to change to 1 7/8" hitch. Any reason not to?

Dan Krueger
June 14th, 2005, 12:27 AM
That's a 3500-4000# rig when it's loaded and fueled. Is the 1-7/8" ball
rated for that?

Why the change? Do you have a smaller trailer that already has a 1-7/8"
coupler? Those can be changed very inexpensively. When I had two boats
(now one) with 2" couplers, I bought a utility trailer that came with a
1-7/8" coupler. For $20 they changed it to a 2" coupler so I could use
the same size ball. I still have that trailer and have lent it to
several people who all have 2" (umm..) balls. That size seems to be
more universal.

Balls are cheap, as are receivers if you have that type of hitch. You
can also keep a spare. I have three since different trailers ride at
different heights.

Dan

RB wrote:
> Got a trailer with an 18' ProLine, 135hp o/b, and 20 gal fuel tank sitting
> on it.
>
> It has a 2" hitch. I'd like to change to 1 7/8" hitch. Any reason not to?

RB
June 14th, 2005, 01:28 AM
I'll probably just change my other two 1 7/8" trailer hitches to 2" ones,
and then I'll have all three the same size.

Bill McKee
June 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM
"RB" > wrote in message
> I'll probably just change my other two 1 7/8" trailer hitches to 2" ones,
> and then I'll have all three the same size.

I have 2 recievers, 1 with the small ball and 1 with the 2" ball. Easy to
tow any trailer that way.

Sarge
June 15th, 2005, 12:21 AM
"RB" wrote in message: "Got a trailer with an 18' ProLine, 135hp o/b, and 20
gal fuel tank sitting on it. It has a 2" hitch. I'd like to change to 1
7/8" hitch. Any reason not to?"

You have a few options.
Change all your trailers to the same size. I would go with 2 inch over 1
7/8.

If you have a class 2 or 3 receiver/hitch you can buy another hitch and ball
that will slide into receiver with the correct size for what ever you pull.

If you have a class 2 or 3 receiver/hitch you can buy another hitch with
multiple balls mounted on it. You then just rotate the hitch in the
receiver for the proper ball size needed.
For example see http://www.trailerhitches.com/ball-mounts/

If you mount on teh bumper then you can buy a ball with shaft that allows
you to change ball sizes.
For example see http://www.trailerhitches.com/hitch-balls/

Sarge