PDA

View Full Version : Novice needs advice on a ocean Rod/Reel

Don
June 15th, 2005, 05:36 PM
I'm overwhelmed by what I'm reading.

I got a 21' SeaRay and have rods for bay fishing. But, I'd like to get
a good rod/real for the ocean. I'll be fishing in waters off Rehoboth
Beach, Delaware in about 50' depth.

Since I'm new I don't really even know what to ask so please feel free
to give me whatever advice you think I'd need.

Specifically:

What is a good length rod? Shorter makes sense since the boat isn't
that big.

What type of reel?

What is the right weight sinker? Do I let it go all the way to the
bottom? (I'm telling you I'm a novice!)

What is a good bait to use? Are lures good?

Should I invest a lot of money now or just get a mediocre rod/reel?

What is a good brand/model?

So far I've been catching rays and small sharks and let them go because
they were all too small.

Thanks a bunch for any advice.

Tom
June 16th, 2005, 03:17 PM
On 15 Jun 2005 09:36:51 -0700, "Don" > wrote:

>I'm overwhelmed by what I'm reading.
>
>I got a 21' SeaRay and have rods for bay fishing. But, I'd like to get
>a good rod/real for the ocean. I'll be fishing in waters off Rehoboth
>Beach, Delaware in about 50' depth.

>What is a good length rod? Shorter makes sense since the boat isn't
>that big.
>
>What type of reel?
>
>What is the right weight sinker? Do I let it go all the way to the
>bottom? (I'm telling you I'm a novice!)
>
>What is a good bait to use? Are lures good?
>
>Should I invest a lot of money now or just get a mediocre rod/reel?
>
>What is a good brand/model?
It depends to a great deal on what you want to fish for. I'm on the
Gulf Coast of Texas so it may be a little different but I prefer a
shorter stouter rod with braided line for bottom fish such as snapper.
When I get a nibble at 60 feet I don't want a lot of line stretch or
rod bow. For Kings I use 6-7' rods with some flex and reels with ample
quantity of 20# line. I've used Mitchell 624's for almost 30 years and
they have served me well (I recently picked up a couple on eBay for
around $20.00. For Dolphin I use my regular bay rods - 6 1/2 - 7' with
5500's for example. For bottom fish I prefer to just crank 'em up but
for everything else I prefer to fight them for awhile. I've landed 37#
kings, 6 foot sharks and other fairly large fish on 20# line with no
problem and enjoyed every minute of it. Hope this helps but you might
get better advice from someone closer to you and more familiar with
your local conditions. Good luck and enjoy.

Mike G
June 16th, 2005, 05:48 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> I'm overwhelmed by what I'm reading.
>
> I got a 21' SeaRay and have rods for bay fishing. But, I'd like to get
> a good rod/real for the ocean. I'll be fishing in waters off Rehoboth
> Beach, Delaware in about 50' depth.
>
> Since I'm new I don't really even know what to ask so please feel free
> to give me whatever advice you think I'd need.
>
> Specifically:
>
> What is a good length rod? Shorter makes sense since the boat isn't
> that big.
>
> What type of reel?
>
> What is the right weight sinker? Do I let it go all the way to the
> bottom? (I'm telling you I'm a novice!)
>
> What is a good bait to use? Are lures good?
>
> Should I invest a lot of money now or just get a mediocre rod/reel?
>
> What is a good brand/model?
>
> So far I've been catching rays and small sharks and let them go because
> they were all too small.
>
> Thanks a bunch for any advice.

There is no one specific answer for any of those question. Every one of
those question can only be answered by "it depends". Mostly it depends
on what you want to fish for and where those fish are, what are they
hitting on day to day, and when are they doing it.

Your best bet is your local bait and tackle shop, and I am not talking
Wal-Mart or Sports Authority. Drop in, browse, don't be afraid to
explain the situation and ask question, just plain get acquainted. Visit
several shops and give the one you find most comfortable your business.
It's in their best interest to make you a successful fisherman and just
about every shop I have ever been in anywhere has been as comfortable
and inviting as being home and the owners and patrons were more then
willing to help out.

I'd also venture to say that with some checking you'd be able to find a
local fishing club or two to join. They are also a great source for a
budding fisherman.

Good luck

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

www.heirloom-woods.net

LD
June 17th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I fish off Pensacola in 40 to 90' depths. I troll for king mackerel and
bottom fish for red snapper mostly. I think personal preference is the
biggest factor on what equipment to use. somewhere between the extremes of
a fairly light spinning outfit to a heavy conventional reel, stiff (40-80lb)
rod with 30 to 80 lb braided line. My choices are:
For trolling, I use Penn 309's w/Ande 40# mono, a 3' single strand ss
leader, w/ball bearing swivels. This is for use with lures and/or cigar
minnows. I like the level wind reels and I want the fish in the boat asap;
I don't want to play with a 10-15# king for 15 minutes. I use a roller rod
in the 30 to 50# range, from 5 1/2 to 6 1/2' long.
For bottom fishing the braided line allows you to feel the nibble or bite
better than the mono. I like a heavy sinker, at least 8oz, up to 16oz so it
gets to the bottom quick. It can be a "bank" or pyramid style with 1 or 2
hooks above it. An alternate is to use an 8 to 12oz barrel sinker above the
leader and hook(s), which will allow the bait on a 3-6' leader to drift away
and is used off the bottom rather than on the bottom. I use the same length
rods, with rollers (at least the tip), and either the Penn 309's or a 49
reel. I'm sold on the rollers because of the reduced wear and bending of
the line. I realize the 40# line for trolling is a little heavy but it
lasts longer, can take more abrasions and nicks without failing than smaller
line. Also, when I hook the 20-30# grouper or amberjack I have a much
better chance of bringing it in!
One more thing--Since going with the "circle hooks" I've not had a single
fish swallow the hook. 100% of the time it's been hooked just inside the
mouth and easy to remove and, in all cases, when you don't get a keeper,
you can quickly throw him back, relatively unharmed.
Good luck,
LD

"Don" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm overwhelmed by what I'm reading.
>
> I got a 21' SeaRay and have rods for bay fishing. But, I'd like to get
> a good rod/real for the ocean. I'll be fishing in waters off Rehoboth
> Beach, Delaware in about 50' depth.
>
> Since I'm new I don't really even know what to ask so please feel free
> to give me whatever advice you think I'd need.
>
> Specifically:
>
> What is a good length rod? Shorter makes sense since the boat isn't
> that big.
>
> What type of reel?
>
> What is the right weight sinker? Do I let it go all the way to the
> bottom? (I'm telling you I'm a novice!)
>
> What is a good bait to use? Are lures good?
>
> Should I invest a lot of money now or just get a mediocre rod/reel?
>
> What is a good brand/model?
>
> So far I've been catching rays and small sharks and let them go because
> they were all too small.
>
> Thanks a bunch for any advice.

Don
June 20th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks a lot, folks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I had no
idea about braided lines, which all seem to agree on. I'll look into
the "circle hooks", too. So far I'm just torturing them.

I was only asking the bait shop shacks for advice, but they didn't seem
as concerned or consistant in their adivce. The bigger bait & tackle
shop had lots of great advice. Albeit they all seem to say the same
thing, "What are you fishing for?" Hell if I know. Fish I guess. :)

Anyway, all help is appreciated.

JerryB
July 1st, 2005, 03:31 AM
Don,

i got to this late, so if your still watching:

i fish a little salt water each year and i have a different point of view
than what you have heard. i think you should spend some money to ride on a
couple of different open charters in your area and LEARN about what is going
on there. you will then have a much better idea of what you enjoy, what to
do in your boat and what kinds of tackle make sense for that type of
fishing. head boats are cheap and will help you learn a lot if you talk to
the deck hands and ask questions, don't forget to tip them for the lessons
they can use the money. try some small boat charters as well, look for
"make-up" charters where you share the boat with five other guys. tell the
captain and mate you want to learn the basics to use on your boat, bring
them some donuts and pay attemtion. again a nice tip to the mate is in order
if you get a good lesson. there are also some lower cost inshore charters
that you could split with a friend from work to learn tactics for the bay.

given that, if you want a reccomended set-up i would suggest going to
boaters world and buy a penn 4/0 combo for bottom fishing. load with 40
pound test braid or mono whichever you like. this will handle most of the
larger near shore bottom critters nicely and still be a bit sporty. then
look for a penn squidder and a 7 foot rod rated for 15-25 pound line, tica
and tsunami have some decent boat rods in this line class that are pretty
reasonable, spool up with 20 pound test mono for smaller stuff and some
light trolling and you will have gear that will last a long time and catch
you a lot of fish.

also: very important to learn how to take care of your gear. the salt water
will trash it if you don't. you can have your reels serviced once a year at
the tackle shop but you gotta keep em clean in between.

i would learn before you spend too much money on more gear than those two
rigs,

do you have a sonar (fishfinder)? do you have charts of the area and know
how to get on the reef/wrecks? if not maybe you can find someone local to
help you learn about that. check on tidalfish.com you should be able to drum
up someone in your area that would help with learning navigation.

if i lived nearby i would come out with you and give you some lessons, and
not even charge you that much......

good luck,
jerry

ups.com...> Thanks a lot,