PDA

View Full Version : Spring shopping

Eric Ryder
March 20th, 2004, 11:11 PM
We did a side trip to Kittery Trading Post in Maine today. Filled up on a
few consumables, bought a load of gear for the kid and checked out the St
Croix Avids. It was all I could do to walk out of there without a couple
(especially with the wifes 20% outdoor writers discount:). Any happy users
(or otherwise) of these rods? The ones I was interested in were running
$140 or so.

Eric

Roy Randolph
March 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Nice Rods!
Try the Legend Elites their sweet

"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> We did a side trip to Kittery Trading Post in Maine today. Filled up on a
> few consumables, bought a load of gear for the kid and checked out the St
> Croix Avids. It was all I could do to walk out of there without a couple
> (especially with the wifes 20% outdoor writers discount:). Any happy
users
> (or otherwise) of these rods? The ones I was interested in were running
> $140 or so.
>
> Eric

Nikolay
March 20th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Nothing to compare it to since this is my only high-quality rod, but I
absolutely love it. Mine is 7' med. fast casting, and I can use it for
everything except ultra-light in-line spinners and skipping under stuff.
Bought it for 160. The Avid series have Alconite guides so there is no
problem with any superline.

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Eric Ryder wrote:

> We did a side trip to Kittery Trading Post in Maine today. Filled up on a
> few consumables, bought a load of gear for the kid and checked out the St
> Croix Avids. It was all I could do to walk out of there without a couple
> (especially with the wifes 20% outdoor writers discount:). Any happy users
> (or otherwise) of these rods? The ones I was interested in were running
> $140 or so.
>
> Eric

J Buck
March 21st, 2004, 02:28 AM
<We did a side trip to Kittery Trading Post in Maine today>

Havnt been there in about 20 years, and I only live 2.5 hours north of
it. As I recall it beat the hell outta LL Bean, which has become the Gap
for yuppies who want to be 'outdoorsy'

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
March 21st, 2004, 01:07 PM
"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> We did a side trip to Kittery Trading Post in Maine today. Filled up on a
> few consumables, bought a load of gear for the kid and checked out the St
> Croix Avids. It was all I could do to walk out of there without a couple
> (especially with the wifes 20% outdoor writers discount:). Any happy
users
> (or otherwise) of these rods? The ones I was interested in were running
> $140 or so.

St. Croix Avid series blanks are quite good blanks. I use quite a few of
them building rods. If you get an Avid rod, you won't be disappointed.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Eric Ryder
March 21st, 2004, 01:52 PM
"J Buck" > wrote in message
> <We did a side trip to Kittery Trading Post in Maine today>
>
> Havnt been there in about 20 years, and I only live 2.5 hours north of
> it. As I recall it beat the hell outta LL Bean, which has become the Gap
> for yuppies who want to be 'outdoorsy'

It's getting bigger - 70,000 sf under construction right now. The fishing
counter guy said that the gun department will be benefitting from the
expansion. Their archery department has been expanding regularly over the
last 10 years - I'll definitely make the trip when this one gets retired.