PDA

View Full Version : G. Loomis & St. Croix

QUAKEnSHAKE
March 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Got an attendance bonus :-)

Would a Loomis GL2 7' M rod compare to a St. Croix Avid 7' M rod? One
much better than the other? Which one would you pick? Both same price.

Thundercat
March 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 07:35:36 -0600 (CST),
(QUAKEnSHAKE) wrote:

>Got an attendance bonus :-)
>
>Would a Loomis GL2 7' M rod compare to a St. Croix Avid 7' M rod? One
>much better than the other? Which one would you pick? Both same price.

St Croix. But that's just me...

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.
Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

Steve & Chris Clark
March 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM
I would never buy another Loomis rod again! Over priced and over hyped.
This company needs a major rethink on its business plan! They do have a neet
logo though, I'll give them that, JMHO.
St. Croix is just as good if not a better stick $4$ and the warrantee is
miles better on the St. Croix. You wouldn't regret either of these rods 'til
you have to do some warranty issue with them.
--
Stony

"QUAKEnSHAKE" > wrote in message
> Got an attendance bonus :-)
>
> Would a Loomis GL2 7' M rod compare to a St. Croix Avid 7' M rod? One
> much better than the other? Which one would you pick? Both same price.

---

Bob La Londe
March 21st, 2004, 05:02 PM
My ABA partner, Hammer, has several G-Loomis rods, and he likes them, but I
just can't stomach the price. I have a St Croix flippin' rod that I really
like.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"QUAKEnSHAKE" > wrote in message
> Got an attendance bonus :-)
>
> Would a Loomis GL2 7' M rod compare to a St. Croix Avid 7' M rod? One
> much better than the other? Which one would you pick? Both same price.

Roy Randolph
March 21st, 2004, 05:18 PM
St. Croix hands down!

I feel the Loomis rods have a tip that is just to soft or fast I bought 1
Loomis and sold it weeks later I own 17 St. Croix rods and love every one of
them and plan to buy more. I have Pro Glass, premiers, Avids, and Legend
Elites for the money you can't beat them

"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> My ABA partner, Hammer, has several G-Loomis rods, and he likes them, but
> just can't stomach the price. I have a St Croix flippin' rod that I
really
> like.
>
> --
> Public Fishing Forums
> Fishing Link Index
> www.YumaBassMan.com
>
> webmaster
> at
> YumaBsssMan
> dot
> com
> "QUAKEnSHAKE" > wrote in message
> > Got an attendance bonus :-)
> >
> > Would a Loomis GL2 7' M rod compare to a St. Croix Avid 7' M rod? One
> > much better than the other? Which one would you pick? Both same price.

go-bassn
March 22nd, 2004, 01:29 AM
St Croix

--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

"QUAKEnSHAKE" > wrote in message
> Got an attendance bonus :-)
>
> Would a Loomis GL2 7' M rod compare to a St. Croix Avid 7' M rod? One
> much better than the other? Which one would you pick? Both same price.

Netguider
March 22nd, 2004, 01:39 AM
Guess I'm the dissenter here. I've got a Loomis 7' medium fast action
spinning rod I use with a Stella 1000 and I love it.

I just got a new Kistler 7' Helium medium action for my baitcaster, but I
haven't had a chance yet to try it out. It sure feels lighter than the IMX
rod though.

Randy

Craig Baugher
March 22nd, 2004, 03:07 AM
G.Loomis makes the best production rods you can buy! While St. Croix makes
one hellva spinning rod, their casting and trigger rods cannot compete. As
to their warranty, I have NEVER had a problem getting a new rod, and trust
me when I tell you I am hard on rods and have broken them doing some dumb
things. Simply take your rod to the store you bought it at, and let them
return it. Makes all the difference in the world!!!

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Crownliner
March 22nd, 2004, 03:32 AM
avid is much better than gl2.

crownliner

"QUAKEnSHAKE" > wrote in message
> Got an attendance bonus :-)
>
> Would a Loomis GL2 7' M rod compare to a St. Croix Avid 7' M rod? One
> much better than the other? Which one would you pick? Both same price.

QUAKEnSHAKE
March 22nd, 2004, 12:46 PM
quote--
From: (Roy=A0Randolph)
I feel the Loomis rods have a tip that is just to soft or fast --quote

Right here is where the difference in the two rods is. The Loomis GL2
has a Moderate Fast action, a little bit more wiggle to it than the Avid
a Fast action rod.

So which action is better for using rubber worms, senko, throwing
distance, sensitivity?

Roy Randolph
March 22nd, 2004, 01:26 PM
IMHO

The faster tip of the Loomis will require more effort to obtain the same
distance and hook set then the St. Croix. As for the sensitivity they both
will provide the same with one exception due to the fast tip the Loomis will
send a little less feed back from the rod to the fish. This is a good thing
if your not use to feeling a bite giving you more time to feel the bite and
set the hook.

From: (Roy Randolph)
I feel the Loomis rods have a tip that is just to soft or fast --quote

Right here is where the difference in the two rods is. The Loomis GL2
has a Moderate Fast action, a little bit more wiggle to it than the Avid
a Fast action rod.

So which action is better for using rubber worms, senko, throwing
distance, sensitivity?

Jerry
March 22nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking that the GLX is the finest production rod made. I currently own
four of them, with one more to go. St. Croix seems heavy to me.

QUAKEnSHAKE
March 23rd, 2004, 03:32 AM
quote--
From: (Jerry)
I'm thinking that the GLX is the finest production rod made. I currently
own four of them, with one more to go. St. Croix seems heavy to me.
--quote

A GLX would be nice $200 more but nice but Im looking at the GL2 and the
GL2 is 1/2 ounce heavier than the Avid.
GL2-4.95oz vs Avid 4.45oz

Crownliner
March 23rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
if you want a GL3 784, i can sell you a new display for about GL2 money and
you get a better rod. i get lots of display and demo items in upper end
tackle. if i offend anyone with my post i am sorry, but i would like to see
you guys save money on tackle if i have it. i sell on ebay as bassngear and
have a 100% positive with high end tackle.

crownliner

"QUAKEnSHAKE" > wrote in message
> quote--
> From: (Jerry)
> I'm thinking that the GLX is the finest production rod made. I currently
> own four of them, with one more to go. St. Croix seems heavy to me.
> --quote
>
> A GLX would be nice $200 more but nice but Im looking at the GL2 and the
> GL2 is 1/2 ounce heavier than the Avid.
> GL2-4.95oz vs Avid 4.45oz

QUAKEnSHAKE
March 26th, 2004, 11:09 PM
quote--
From: (Roy=A0Randolph)
As for the sensitivity they both will provide the same with one
exception due to the fast tip the Loomis will send a little less feed
back from the rod to the fish. --quote

Well I went to check the two rods out again. This time though one of the
workers at the store (Gander Mountain) was quite helpful. I asked him
which one he though would be more sensitive. He said " I'll let you
judge for yourself." He then put a little thin plastic tie (used to hold
on tags) loosely around the tip guide of each rod. He told me to close
my eyes then he handed me one of the rods and told me to shake/wiggle it
and then do the same but lightly. I did this. I could feel the tie
flopping around then lightly did it but couldnt really feel much. He
handed me the other rod and I did the same. I notice quite significantly
more feeling of that tie moving around. Now here is what got me. While
slightly shaking the rod I could like feel the tie rock back and forth.
Didnt feel this with the first rod. Im like, definitely this one is more
sensitive. Opened my eyes to to see that I had the Loomis in my hand.
I then repeated this test over and over eyes open thought. The Loomis
won this test for sure.
I was all set to get the Avid (it does have better guides;-) but now
after this test Im wondering again. Better guides or more sensitivity,
Ill have to figure this out myself.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Craig Baugher
March 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM