PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/27/05

Capt Gene Kelly
June 27th, 2005, 11:26 AM
6/27/05

The Montauk Marine Basin held their annual shark tournament over the
weekend, and the results are as follows;

1st Place Overall - "RUTHLESS" - 305 LBS BLUESHARK

1st Place BLUESHARK - "RUTHLESS" - 305 LBS

2nd Place BLUESHARK - "CRACKED OAR" - 240 LBS

3rd Place BLUESHARK - "SUE B" - 227 LBS

1st Place Mako - "TAILWALKER" - 184 LBS

2nd Place Mako - "EAST BOUND" - 173 LBS

3rd Place Mako - "CANYON LADY" - 159 LBS

1st Place Other - "FREEDOM" - 293 LBS Thresher

2nd Place Other - "BASS HOLE" - 265 LBS Thresher

3rd Place Other - "ALYSSA ANN" - 243 LBS Thresher

Overall the shark fishing is pretty good with virtually all the boats
fishing getting some action, although there are occasional bouts of bluefish
and dogfish to be dealt with. The exotics all seem to be south of the 700
line, with more threshers than makos around. The shark boats have also been
seeing some occasional "chamber of commerce" bluefins cavorting around,
mostly the baby ones.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned a contest that was based on catching
sharks that had been previously tagged, with varying amounts of money
attached to each fish. Well, that didn't work, and Star Island has sent back
the entry fees to those who signed up.

Inshore the fishing is still pretty disappointing, although there are some
nice bass around, like the fifty pounder taken on the WINDY. There have been
occasional decent catches made by individual boats, but that seems to be
more a lucky break than anything special that the boat is doing. Fluke
fishing is concentrated in two areas, Midway Rips and the Frisbee area off
the south side, and like the bass fishing is inconsistent, with an
occasional nice fish, but not a lot of them.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

--

Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - 800 377 1197