PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to fishing

Likewise
June 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Hi, I got taken out at Llansteffan by a friend. I thought we'd be sat there,
which wasn't that appealing, but he introduced me to spinning, which was
unbelievably enjoyable. So if anyone has the time, where in rough terms is
spinning suitable? Both sea and fresh water?

He also said we would wait until the tide was right, but I'd like to be able
to know when is the best time myself, and the best part of a beach (or
anywhere else) for fishing?

I realise this is all a bit vague so far, but never been fishing before in
my life, so it's all a bit new.

Many thanks :)

Gavin Leigh

Derek.Moody
June 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
In article >, Likewise
> wrote:

> unbelievably enjoyable. So if anyone has the time, where in rough terms is
> spinning suitable? Both sea and fresh water?

Yes. Different spinners maybe and in freshwater you'll need a wire trace if
there are likely to be any pike about.

> He also said we would wait until the tide was right, but I'd like to be able
> to know when is the best time myself, and the best part of a beach (or
> anywhere else) for fishing?

Each beach is different. Fish have to be somewhere...
Shoals move in and out of different areas as food sources change. In some
places a strong current may sweep small fry into an easy killing zone, in
others a tasty mussel bed may be covered only above half-tide. Fish visit
different areas according to a local pattern. You friend will have fished
that beach often enough to have learned its pattern.

If in doubt the time around high water is always worth a try.

> I realise this is all a bit vague so far, but never been fishing before in
> my life, so it's all a bit new.

If there is a local club they may have a beginners or junior section. Ask
in the nearest tackle shop.

Have fun. Cheerio,

--

seaside
June 29th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Gavin,

You could try reading/joining the forums at these
web pages.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/
http://ukfishing.homeftp.net/index.php

Likewise wrote:
> Hi, I got taken out at Llansteffan by a friend. I thought we'd be sat there,
> which wasn't that appealing, but he introduced me to spinning, which was
> unbelievably enjoyable. So if anyone has the time, where in rough terms is
> spinning suitable? Both sea and fresh water?
>
> He also said we would wait until the tide was right, but I'd like to be able
> to know when is the best time myself, and the best part of a beach (or
> anywhere else) for fishing?
>
> I realise this is all a bit vague so far, but never been fishing before in
> my life, so it's all a bit new.
>
> Many thanks :)
>
> Gavin Leigh

Likewise
June 29th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Hi Derek, and many thanks, that's raelly helpful. Off up to Llansteffan
again this weekend so will report back if I catch anything.

Gavin Evans

Derek.Moody wrote:
> In article >, Likewise
> > wrote:
>
>> unbelievably enjoyable. So if anyone has the time, where in rough
>> terms is spinning suitable? Both sea and fresh water?
>
> Yes. Different spinners maybe and in freshwater you'll need a wire
> trace if there are likely to be any pike about.
>
>> He also said we would wait until the tide was right, but I'd like to
>> be able to know when is the best time myself, and the best part of a
>> beach (or anywhere else) for fishing?
>
> Each beach is different. Fish have to be somewhere...
> Shoals move in and out of different areas as food sources change. In
> some places a strong current may sweep small fry into an easy killing
> zone, in others a tasty mussel bed may be covered only above
> half-tide. Fish visit different areas according to a local pattern.
> You friend will have fished that beach often enough to have learned
> its pattern.
>
> If in doubt the time around high water is always worth a try.
>
>> I realise this is all a bit vague so far, but never been fishing
>> before in my life, so it's all a bit new.
>
> If there is a local club they may have a beginners or junior section.
> Ask in the nearest tackle shop.
>
> Have fun. Cheerio,

Likewise
June 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Many thanks, I have both pages bookmarked now, and will read through them
all.

Gavin

seaside wrote:
> Gavin,
>
> You could try reading/joining the forums at these
> web pages.
>
> http://www.worldseafishing.com/
> http://ukfishing.homeftp.net/index.php
>

> Likewise wrote:
>> Hi, I got taken out at Llansteffan by a friend. I thought we'd be
>> sat there, which wasn't that appealing, but he introduced me to
>> spinning, which was unbelievably enjoyable. So if anyone has the
>> time, where in rough terms is spinning suitable? Both sea and fresh
>> water?
>>
>> He also said we would wait until the tide was right, but I'd like to
>> be able to know when is the best time myself, and the best part of a
>> beach (or anywhere else) for fishing?
>>
>> I realise this is all a bit vague so far, but never been fishing
>> before in my life, so it's all a bit new.
>>
>> Many thanks :)
>>
>> Gavin Leigh

chris.hornby
July 4th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi Derek, Glad to hear you are still giving out advice. Just thought
I'd update on my setup. Just got a shetland alaska complete with
downrigger and 60hp mariner. Also got regular supply of live sandeels
so let me know if you want to come out and sort out some of those Bass.
Chris

Derek.Moody
July 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
In article om>,
chris.hornby > wrote:
> Hi Derek, Glad to hear you are still giving out advice. Just thought
> I'd update on my setup. Just got a shetland alaska complete with
> downrigger and 60hp mariner. Also got regular supply of live sandeels
> so let me know if you want to come out and sort out some of those Bass.

We -were- supposed to be fishing the race last Sun but conditions were
predicted to be iffy - and cowards live longer ;-)

Mullet season started well but I haven't put in much bassing time yet*
- seen a few feeding on crabs though.

Cheerio,

*That was the third trip cancelled/abandoned due poor weather. Lost my
breakfast on the one before :-(